Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I needed to do a mystery shop today and ds#2 had several NEEDS. So I
grabbed him after school and we headed off to Springfield.

I got all the guys pants for recital at the Salvation Army (thank
goodness) for about $3.50 each.

Then we went to Arby's to eat- over $13 just for the two of us! I
nearly fainted and so did my son. Can you tell we don't eat fast
food much?

I did my mystery shop while ds waited in the car, then we headed to
Shop-Ko and Walgreens for his needed items. Jeans on sale- $15.99
(they didn't have any in his size at the SA, but I still only bought
him ONE pair) Hoping to find him some at yard sales next weekend-
and praying he doesn't grow again for a bit. Scientific calculator-
$17.99 He was really nice about it and got one of the less expensive
ones- does a perfectly adequate job according to him. :) Stink
water - OH! I mean, men's cologne. Ds insists this is a NEED- and
at age 16 with his first girl friend, I suppose it is- $5.99
Deodorant - $1.99 Sneakers $11.99 (again on sale)

Then we went grocery shopping. Thankfully I had a bunch of freebie
coupons for Cubs- so the total for this was bearable.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Don't be so hard on yourself. If you need it, there's not too much you can do. You're lucky your ds is a good sport about second hand clothes- most teens wouldn't be caught dead wearing anything other than $50 brand name jeans. So honestly, I think you did really good!!

Hope you find good yard sale deals next weekend!

Laura

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
Sounds like you were as frugal as you could be........ You should splurge a little now and then.... I hope you had a nice date with ds anyway............:D

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
None of my kids ever get upset with second hand clothes- as long as it looks good, they'll wear it. And they wear their clothes until they either outgrow them or they are in tatters. They all work and know how precious money can be and what it takes to get it.

Ds decided to have growing spurt- he's grown nearly 2 inches since Christmas, and his shoes were literally worn out- there were holes in the soles and the rubber had worn down badly in places.

I generally start looking at yard sales, then thrift stores , THEN retail for their items- but he was going to have to go to school barefoot and nearly naked this week if I didn't go shopping yesterday. :)

·
27,948 Posts
It does add up quick Sunshine.You did make some great buys and spent some one on one time with your young man.:)

You aren't the only one who spent money yesterday. Hubby and I bought dd a laptop 'puter for college. :yikes: She needs it for the classes she will be taking. $$$$
We'll be doing some belt tightening around here for sure!
Anyone want to give to the Nicole is Going To College Fund ? It will make you feel so good! :D

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, Darlene- at least I didn't buy a new computer yesterday :) When my older son graduated last year, we were advised NOT to get a laptop computer for him. They said laptops were too easy to steal- so we got him the traditional PC with a tower and all that, then he decided to stay home and go to the local community college :D

·
27,948 Posts
She's staying at home & commuting to college. It's about a 25 min drive.:) She's going for a BBA degree in Technology Management:Information Technology and some of her classes require it.
Last month she wanted to be a teacher, lol.
Hows your son like college?

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Actually- he hates it and isn't planning on going back next year. He had a horrible communications teacher who failed him because she didn't like his conservative views (and told him that was the reason- all his papers had B's or better).

He's trying to get an apprenticeship with someone doing construction- HEY Lori! know anyone who's hiring?

Oh- and he's working nearly full time at Bucheit's- a farm supply store.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts