Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everything today is 'concentrated'. But I noticed that my kids over use the dish detergent. When they do dishes we can go through a bottle in a week. When it's me doing it, that bottle lasts for a couple months.

I learned a trick :) I save an empty bottle. I fill it 1/4 with the detergent then top with water. Ah, but it's watery, no one likes watery soap. SOOOO, add 1/2-1 tsp salt to it shake it up. :hocus:It will gel again. I use dish deternegt for hand soap and do the same thing. Dh HAS to use 2 pumps, what a WASTE, but once reduced like this, he's using really a 1/2 squirt if that. One bottle now lasts 2 to 3 months. :D

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
Awesome tip, thanks for sharing, I will surely remember this one! :)

·
Registered
181 Posts
Mommy4 I have a tip for you that you might like. I do the same with the 1/4 soap.... only I put it into a squirt bottle.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Thanks for the Tip I like it :)

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
Thanks for sharing your tip with us. :)

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Thanks for the tip. I add water to our dish detergent and hand soap, but I never thought to do that with the dish washer detergent. I just use less detergent in the dishwasher.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Do you have to wait for the salt to disolve? Mine still seams very watery. Its a large bottle of ajax dish soap that was 1/4 full so I topped it with water and put in 1 tsp table salt.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I shake it up really good so it bubbles and then it sets in a day or two.

frugalmomof3 I don't find it drying to my hands, but I use lotion non stop as my climate is harsh on skin.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Its been sitting for a bit and it does look like its getting thicker. Thanks for the tip.

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
Here;s my tip---don't buy the bottle of unsalted ketchup that the label fell off of so it's been reduced to 50 cents, EVEN IF YOU HAVE A DOLLAR OFF COUPON SO THEY PAY YOU TO TAKE IT OUT OF THE STORE. Even if you try and salt it yourself....it's just bad.,

·
Registered
579 Posts
:lemon: omg Mrs McDowell........I laughed so hard. I am a ketchupaholic. Nothing worse than bad ketchup.

JulieB

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
I'm glad someone could laugh about it....my husband still gets a wee bit upset about this. But then again, imagine being told to salt your ketchup...it could be a bad day...

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
I just use a 1-2 tsp of dishsoap and SUPER SCALDING hot tap water to fill the sink with dishes and let the bf wash. He reaches for the bottle to add more the sponge to wash and I frankly tell him that hes got MORE then enough soap in the water to do all the dishes. Each time he's finished the dishes, hes impressed - thats how I make my dishsoap last!

·
Registered
674 Posts
Something that I do is when we have a pie, cake or actually any type of dessert I take a piece or 2 of the dessert and put it in my freezer in the cellar. This way long after my family would have plowed through the entire dessert I have some for them that they had forgotten about. Last night my DD and DH split a piece of cheesecake from a cheesecake we had over the weekend. They enjoyed it more last night when they thought there were no desserts than the day that 3/4 of a cheesecake was staring back at them. My DS loves this dessert trick too because he could finish off a dessert very quickly.

This "trick" gives us the same feeling as when you find one more french fry at the bottom of the McDonald's bag.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts