Frugal Village Forums banner

Not able to contribute $$ for our retirement

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  ScrapStitching 
#1 ·
My husband is 5 years older than I am and has already retired once. He's 64 and wants to retire again in 3 years. I, unfortunately, have no retirement. He and I are solid, and my sister will be joining us in a couple years when she retires. I just feel kind of weird that I'll only have my SS to add to the household income. I do other things - sew, cook, garden - but you know how it is. Anyone else?

#2 ·
I never worked much and will only have what SS I get as a wife. We are living on DH's SS now. It is not much but we don't need much.

Have you sat down and figured out how much income the household will have, and how much you will need to live on?

#3 ·
Oh yeah. We've made sure that the house is paid for and the kids are settled in their lives. As mentioned, my sister will be moving in after she retires. I just feel poopy that I won't have money to contribute. Catholic guilt, I reckon. :)

#4 ·
Would you be able to craft or make anything to sell online or at a farmers mkt??
I dont work either but that was our plan many years ago. I raised the kids and covered everything seeing his job was so all encompassing. I dont feel
any guilt whatsoever. DH will prob. do part time consulting even after retirement. Our house is already paid for and we have 15 more years.

#5 ·
I do make things and sell on Etsy from time to time. And I am working now. I stayed home when the kids were younger and that was all the job I needed back then. I'll get over the guilt thing. I do other things around here that make me feel more than worthy :)

#7 ·
I'll probably work forever. I have the good fortune of working online and if that peters out, I'd love to work at Busch Gardens nearby. I'm not the type to not work and we don't plan travel. I like the idea of putting some cash aside, even if it's just a little, each payday.

I'm 59 and more active than ever since I had my knees replaced 3 and 4 years ago. I just don't see me not working.

#9 ·
Honestly, I don't really understand the question/problem. So you are working, but you don't contribute to your 401 and feel quilty about it? I have the idea the online income is not really stable, is that right? If so, would you be able to "save up" during the year and then make one big contribution? Please note I am not from the USA, so I am actually wondering if that is a possibility. If you get a job with Busch gardens could you contribute through some kind of company plan?

Reactions: ScrapStitching
#11 ·
I'm an independent contractor. I do contribute to the household and to our tax payments (putting way 1/3 of every check and adding extra when I can). I just don't have a regular 401K or retirement account. I do have enough work history to be able to receive Social Security.

I think I was venting and wondering how others felt. It's more of a feeling than a problem, Ayanka :) Any position at Busch Gardens (a theme park) would be seasonal and temporary, so no retirement there, but there would be money for savings and extras.

The good news is that we're very frugal, set in terms of reserves, etc., so even though I have personal feelings about not being able to contribute with a retirement plan, I know we'll make it.

My twins turned 30 on the 20th, and I think I've been mulling over this rush to age 60 that I'm doing on my own, probably more than I need to mull.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.