Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made homemade laundry detergent and I am so happy with it that I am not going back to commerical detergent again.
I can already tell that I have saved $$ cause I usually buy detergent every month. Well, 2 months have gone and I still have lots of my homemade laundry detergent. It has gotten out old stains.
I used the following:
1 bar Fels Naptha grated
2 cups of Borax
2 cups of Washing soda.

I use it as a powder. Keep it in a container. I used 2 tablespoons for my top loader washing machine.
I use white vinegar in my rinse cycle.
I am a nurse and get some "weird" stains.....blood, urine, poop, vomit, and anything else when it comes to working in the ER.
My uniforms look great.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I need to give this another chance. About 10 years ago, when people 1st started taking an interest in the HM det., there were some girls who sold it on-line before the recipe became known. Well, I sent away for a 5-load free sample, and found my clothes to be very dingy. That's not what I'm hearing from anybody now though.

I got about 4 bottles of detergent left. Maybe, I'll give this another try.

Thanks for the post!

Theresa :)

·
8,714 Posts
~I love HM detergent too! I use the Dugger's Recipe posted here on FV but I use Zote instead of Fels Naptha. It smells great and Grainlady says it has optical brighteners so that's why I went with it over the FN.
I think it's amazing at getting out bodily fluid stains too. I'm struggling a bit with grease stains. I think I'll have to make up a pre-treater just for grease.
After I used the HM detergent for a month or so I was amazed at how soft our clothes became. Did you notice that too?~

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
Glad it's working great for you. I've made it with Fels Naptha once. I think I might try it again with Ivory or Zote.

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
K, this is probably going to sound like a stupid question...but when you say grated...do you mean like grating cheese to where it comes off grater like shredded cheese? Feel silly asking.

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
K, this is probably going to sound like a stupid question...but when you say grated...do you mean like grating cheese to where it comes off grater like shredded cheese? Feel silly asking.
Yep! I just used my cheese grater. That puppy washed up clean for the next time I needed it for cheese. :D

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
So you actually have big slivers and not a powdery substance

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
So you actually have big slivers and not a powdery substance
No, I made mine liquid detergent. You grate the soap and it melts in the hot water. I used the Dugger one or the one that The Muse has posted on her blog. I think both is close to the same recipe...

Reactions: NikoSan999

·
Registered
867 Posts
I used a small food processor to grate the soap. Then I added the borax and washing soda. It was much easier this way than hand grating.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I use a bar of Ivory soap that has been sitting out overnight or for a couple of days to dry out, cut it up in chunks with a knife, and process it along with the powders in my food processor until it's a fine powder.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
I would like to try this recipe but I have a front loader..and it only takes liquid I believe? TIA..

·
Registered
675 Posts
I miss the smell of regular detergent. Also my clothes were starting to look dingy. I switched back to Tide for right now. I might save up and get some of that Charlie's soap stuff eventually.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I started using hm detergent this summer and I am amazed how soft the clothes are. I do miss the nice smell so I made softener with hair conditioner that was posted on this site this summer.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I tried homemade laundry detergent, but had a problem with grease spots not being removed, even when i used oxy clean with it. Although the recipe I used was not the same as yours. Maybe I'll give it another try with your recipe and see how it goes.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Have made both the liquid and the powder. I am using a powder version that was recently posted here. It has the oxygen cleaner in it. Like oxy-clean. So far so good and it smells good too.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
I make up a powder but mix it in hot water before I put it in my front loader. I have a small house and I don't have the room for a bucket of laundry soap sitting in my kitchen.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I used a small food processor to grate the soap. Then I added the borax and washing soda. It was much easier this way than hand grating.
If you have one and are planning on making HM soaps this is the ONLY way to IMO!!! So fast and easy...saves your fingertips thats for sure!!!!

Reactions: sinopa27

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
The HM laundry soap did not clean my clothes well and left a residue in my washer. Now I use 1/2 HM and 1/2 store bought until it is used up.

After that I am going to purchase Charlies Soap. It was recommended by Grainlady. You can purchase online and possibly locally. I found it locally and it is cheaper than buying online because of the shipping (added into the price of the soap).

1 - 20 of 63 Posts