Frugal Village Forums banner
21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
The HM laundry soap did not clean my clothes well and left a residue in my washer. Now I use 1/2 HM and 1/2 store bought until it is used up.

After that I am going to purchase Charlies Soap. It was recommended by Grainlady. You can purchase online and possibly locally. I found it locally and it is cheaper than buying online because of the shipping (added into the price of the soap).
Thanks for the rec I'll have to check it out! I too did not have success with my HM laundry soap- it started to fade my colours and just seemed harsh overall (used the borax,washing soda, bar soap blend).

I just got some Tide (I love Tide with Downey) on sale and did a 50/50 mix with no name unscented detergent to stretch it. Currently I have a batch of liquid going but when I need to make the next batch and powdered Tide with Downey is what's cheaper then I will do the same exact blend but with unscented no name powder.

If I end up making batches using a soap that isn't a soap/softener blend then I will do the same thing with the my softener...buy whatever on sale brand I like and mix it 50/50 with no name.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
The HM laundry soap did not clean my clothes well and left a residue in my washer. Now I use 1/2 HM and 1/2 store bought until it is used up.

After that I am going to purchase Charlies Soap. It was recommended by Grainlady. You can purchase online and possibly locally. I found it locally and it is cheaper than buying online because of the shipping (added into the price of the soap).

I make my own laundry soap and have never had problems with fading, or film.

I use my own homemade soap in the mix, which is part of the key ( some soaps people use have a petroleum base which is part of the problem , not only don't you want on your skin it will leave a film). If you make again, add salt to your mix 1 cup per 8 cups of your soap, and other mixture, it will take care of hard water . I use REALSALT brand or celtic sea salt. Also wash your machine a few times with rags and just water then your new mix before you start using homemade as you will have chemical residue from your commercial brand. If clothes are fading you can use a safe bleach that is an Oxygen bleach to stop the fading, and brighten the colors.

Reactions: sinopa27

·
4,028 Posts
I was using HM laundry soap for more than a year and after a while I noticed my towels seemed to hold on to odors so I switched to Charlie's soap, which I love.

My neighbors asked if I could do a few loads of wash so the towels got washed in Charlies and came out beautifully. I washed their cigarette reeking clothes in the HM detergent and they came out smelling smokey still. I felt a little guilty about not washing them again but I didn't have the time.

I might give the half and half scenario a try to use up the rest of the HM batch and I'm happy there isn't too much left of it.

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
I can't bring myself to buy Charlies because it seems so darn high, but I want to try it. I guess after the big expense it will last a long time and the money will even out. But I just can't wrap my brain around dropping that much money on detergent at once. lol

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been making my own laundry detergent for years. I recently started adding essential oil to make it smell like the commercial detergents. My personal favrotie is lavendar, which wal-mat sells for $2 a bottle. You just add 10-15 drops for every 2 gallons and it leaves a subtle scent to your finished laundry.

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
I love my hm detergent! Glad you tried it and like it. :)

·
Registered
933 Posts
I love the homemade and I won't go back to store bought. I've been using it for 2 or 3 years now.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm getting ready to make a new batch of HM laundry soap, and I think I'll up the amounts of borax and washing soda. If I were to add Oxyclean to my laundry, should I mix it with the regular recipe when I'm making it, or should I just use it as a laundry additive with individual laundry loads?

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Well I'm still trying to find a recipe that will bring dh work clothes clean...atm I'm still using the Members Mark {Sam's Club store brand} liquid detergent because none of the homemade versions seem to get his clothes really clean.

I've used both the powdered & liquid versions with both the Fels Naptha & Zote but neither seem to do the job?

Any suggestions or advice would *reeeeally* be appreciated!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Well I'm still trying to find a recipe that will bring dh work clothes clean...atm I'm still using the Members Mark {Sam's Club store brand} liquid detergent because none of the homemade versions seem to get his clothes really clean.

I've used both the powdered & liquid versions with both the Fels Naptha & Zote but neither seem to do the job?

Any suggestions or advice would *reeeeally* be appreciated!
I'd suggest trying the recipe at the top of this thread. The recipe I've used before calls for a lot less Washing Soda and Borax. I think the increase would help make the formula more effective.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Lol, well I guess if you make the time to do it, than home mage DIY detergent is the best way to go. I guess it's definitely an incentive to save money that way.
It makes me at the most 15 minutes to make a 5 gallon bucket of homemade laundry soap. It is very worth it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I had trouble with my latest batch of liquid laundry soap not jelling. It was still watery after several days..so I made the base for another batch and let it boil for several minutes then just added it all to the room temp batch. It might be too strong now, but at least the texture seems more correct.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I am bumping this post because it has almost been a year when I declared no more commercial soap.
I am still making my own soap. I make a lot of it so I don't run out. My clothes are soft, clean and no odors. I have no fading and my clothes don't look dingy or old looking. I will continue to make it. Also, my daughter in college only uses this HM laundry detergent.
I have saved a lot of $$ as I don't need to go down that laundry aisle anymore.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
I have always used powder and then made it into a liquid right before I did laundry. I finally made a batch of liquid. I am loving it. It is so nice to just do a load of clothes and not worry about making sure the soap is made into a liquid. I bought some bayrum essential oil and I am thinking of adding a few drops to the next batch of laundry soap to make it smell way yummy.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I have always used powder and then made it into a liquid right before I did laundry. I finally made a batch of liquid. I am loving it. It is so nice to just do a load of clothes and not worry about making sure the soap is made into a liquid. I bought some bayrum essential oil and I am thinking of adding a few drops to the next batch of laundry soap to make it smell way yummy.
I have a bunch of powder ready. What do I do to make it a liquid?

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
I would zap some water in the microwave and mix in the powder and stir. I would let it sit until it was all disolved.

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
I did 4 loads of laundry yesterday with the powder hm soap and i was very pleased with how everthing came out didn't use no bleach in towels and wash rags and they actually looked cleaner then when i use bleach and store bought detergent.My daughter had tried it out on greasy clothes that friend had wore to work and was well pleased with how it got the grease out.I have probably a year supply of store bought but i will alternate between that and hm until i use it all up.

21 - 40 of 63 Posts