Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The reason why I asked about motivation earlier is because well, I'm addicted to Starbucks. I love it, but its so expensive. Now one has opened up right next door to our apartment!!! The other one was way across town, so I didn't get to go very often. Now its right there...RIGHT THERE!!! All my friends, who are less thrifty than I am, go there everyday, and of course, when I have the cash in my pocket, I'm there. Its so sad that it only just opened last week and I know some of the people by name...I need some help...lol

·
Registered
388 Posts
That's torture!

Instead of depriving yourself - which is a losing battle considering you have to look at the place everyday - allow yourself to go, say, two times per week (or whatever your budget allows). That way you will get to look forward to your treat and not feel like you are being cheated.

Also - buy a pound of their coffee and make it at home. Get the syrups and whatever else you like too. It would be cheaper than buying it there.

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
I agree. Don't deprive yourself completely. Set yourself a goal of 3x/week. Then lower it to 2x/week, then 1x/week until you can get yourself used to going only once or twice a month.

Experiment at home with Starbucks recipes.
Try some of these:
http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/copycat_starbucks.asp

Even a cheap espresso maker would be less in the long run than going to Starbucks every day ;)

·
Registered
14,689 Posts
So what I'd do is set a certain day or use it as a reward for something, once per week (like I've been soooo frugal all week, this is my reward) and meet friends there. I'd have a large latte or whatever it is you love. Then I'd buy some their coffee, keep my cup and do my best to duplicate the drink I love most at home. When I was having a Starbucks fit on the days that it's not my 'day' to go, I'd walk around with my 'starbucks' in my cup and be just as happy. You can do this and you'll be proud of yourself when you do. ;)

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I agree, don't deprive yourself or you'll just be miserable. Try to reward yourself a couple of times a week. It will take some will-power so try to think of things that are more important to you. Making your own at home is also a great idea.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
i understand starbucks is yummy. what i did was get myself a gift card with a certain amount for the month and i wasnt allowed to reload it until the next month. that gives you a budgeted amount but you dont deprived yourself. also you will mind that money alot better if you know it will run out.

·
Registered
241 Posts
i understand starbucks is yummy. what i did was get myself a gift card with a certain amount for the month and i wasnt allowed to reload it until the next month. that gives you a budgeted amount but you dont deprived yourself. also you will mind that money alot better if you know it will run out.
This is a great idea! I was also going to suggest asking for Starbucks cards for gifts (ie. birthdays and christmas)
Hubby used to drink a lot of Timmy's. Even though he's cut back, I'm sure he still goes a fair amount. He uses his "blow" money and our daughter always gives him gift certificates for Father's Day, bday, etc....

You CAN do this. Don't EVER totally deprive yourself of something. it'll just make you want it all the more........... but you can take control of how often you go. Keep thinking, my/our desire for children is more important than the instant gratification of too many lattes :wave2:

·
4,028 Posts
I like the gift card idea! I might use that for my husband. You could also designate a coin denomination and save "dimes" for your coffee fund. You could also buy the "small" size which would save money and calories...

Mmmm, Vente White Chocolate Mocha..... I'm starting to drool. LOL

·
Registered
191 Posts
I too am addicted to the Starbucks, i used to go 4-5 times a DAY. Ive now cut it down to 3-4 times a week. Huge improvement but hard. The last 2 days ive gone 3 times though with the stress of moving and moving further away from my only friend here. Its 10 miles out to the new house so i just wont be able to go all the time. I know it doesnt seem like much but with gas prices the way they are i am going to try to cut down my into town trips a lot. Moving is already costing us a boat load in gas. I guess its helping me see that i cant do that everyday multiple times anymore. My DH bless his heart found one of those pod coffee makers on deep discount and bought me one yesterday as a housewarming gift, since im the only one home all day im going to use it a lot to try to limit my coffees. Im also going to start looking for the syrups and stuff on discounts too, ive already found a few. I already have an espresso maker but now i need to start using that too.

I use mypoints to get starbucks gift cards though even thought its a lot of points 800 per a 5 dollar card, that card buys me my favorite drink and when i get one its a treat.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I can completely sympathize! I LOVE Starbucks. We have 3 within very close distance to our house, 2 with drivethroughs. I was getting them a few times a week but cut down to once a week, now I only get one every other week. It is my special treat. I clean a house every other Friday and treat myself to a latte and piece of coffee cake afterwards.

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
Boy am I glad I dont drink coffee! :) Now, cutting yourself off completely wont work try cutting it down to 3x a week as a reward to yourself then eventually cut it down to 2x a week, etc... The giftcard option is a great idea, will control the urge. :)

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
I second or third the gift card idea. As well, asking for giftcards from your favorite java joint works well too. It's a true treat then, free! I just got $20 in g/c from Timmies from my dd's ringette team for managing.And I was going twice a week.Now I have a $2 cretificate in my wallet. And I can't bear to spend it..lol. haven't gone in a month! But I will, and it'll be there when I'm ready to use it.

Deprivation never works. not on finances, not on diets. I'm working at losing weight, I love cheese cake. Not a good mix. However, I do allow on my big grocery tripi to by a slice. Now that I'm ok to do it, I find I dont do it everytime. But I can if I have the urge ;)

·
Registered
301 Posts
My husband is the same way with the Hess gas station that's on his way to work. He knows them all. He even got some of them a part-time job where he works. But everytime we drive by there (even when he's not going to work) we stop and get sodas/drinks/and which ever candy is on sale that day.

My problem is Ocean State Job Lot, Christmas Tree Shops, and Michaels craft store. Not only that... but I have an addiction to Amazon.com.

My motivation is trying to envision our future house. We want to buy one but can't afford it if we're spending all our money on crap.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I like the idea of the monthly gift card too. Our Target sells the bags of Starbucks coffee grounds, it is cheaper then it is at Starbucks.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Justpeachy92... be sure to watch the expiration dates on the back seam of the bag. The merchandising company I work for is actually paid by Kraft to go into Target and various other stores to check dates. You would be amazed at how many are found.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I too love Starbucks. My compromise is I bought a good thermos and buy Starbucks grounds at my grocery store for $5 a package. So I get 2-3 weeks of Starbucks coffee for the price of one or two cups from an actual Starbucks store.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That giftcard idea is a great one!! I'm definitely trying that one!! My friend actually just figured out how to make one of our favorite drinks at home so I've got that recipe too!! Its so horrible but I feel like i'm indulging everytime I go there, I'm a little addicted to that feeling as well.

Thanks for your ideas!!

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
These are all great ideas. I have a SB barista machine on my counter - I make one (or more) every day! A pound of espresso beans is 10.95, and can last a month or more........I make a nonfat latte every day (sometimes a carmel machiatto if the mood hits me right!) The other thing to consider is what you are ordering at SB. You can get a short size even though it is not on the menu. I order a short nonfat latte when I go (I only let myslef go a few times a month when I am not mystery shopping SB) anyway, my short nonfat latte is only 2.35 I think. Pretty cheap by SB standards - and I so enjoy every last sip of it....all the way down to tearing the cup to get out that last bit of Yum-o foam!!!:umbrella:

·
Registered
216 Posts
I went crazy when our Starbucks first opened. Anytime I had cash I was there. I started to cut back slowly to once a week and now I'm lucky if I go once a month. I still love Starbucks, I just can't afford it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts