Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Notice: This is in the Debates and Personal Views Section

Well... it's happened. We use to be one happy frugal family... and as with everything else in society, we have begun to label. High, Middle, Low Income Kiths starting forming and that to me, defeats the whole reason we are here.

It doesn't matter how much money we do (or don't) have, we were a group of like minded people who had frugality in common. All looking for ways to save or live on what money they do have.

Well, I am NO income! That's right... NO income. DF makes money which he shares with the rest of us. So, that technically isn't my money.

I don't know... at first it was fun to find your kith... but I honestly think it's a step in the wrong direction when we separate ourselves financially. I keep thinking back to my Sociology classes in college. The haves and the have-nots.

·
Registered
663 Posts
???

Interesting post, Lady V. See - I too am a -0- income frugal villager . . .And no, I don't consider that a "label". It's just part of who I currently am.

No offense, meant, but the way I figure it is if you can make it on -0- you can make it on ANYTHING!!

Thanks for your input - I always enjoy your posts!

·
8,714 Posts
~I actually thought the same thing when I saw the first post about "High" income. Then I wondered if maybe I was just jealous. I think people just want to not feel alone in their financial challenges. It sounds like you feel alone. Post a no-income kith if you feel that's your challenge. I think we members ARE still on the same page financially, we have similar goals.~

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
Interesting post, Lady V.

Maybe the other ladies just wanted to "belong" to a tith and thats why they started the other tiths as well.

I am not speaking for everyone here, but I agree with Lady V when she says "It doesn't matter how much money we do (or don't) have, we were a group of like minded people who had frugality in common. All looking for ways to save or live on what money they do have."

Remember this is JMHO.

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Since this is in the debates section, I'll add my opinion.

I think this thread here divides us more than the income kiths.

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
Very well said Sara!

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
I don't see a problem with seeking out other frugalites who have similar income levels. High income kiths face different challenges to their frugality than those of low income (or no income) kiths. I think good can come from sharing these challenges and how we overcome them. We can only learn from this kind of sharing.

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
:biggrin:
The Sneetches got quite a bit smarter that day.
That day, they decided that Sneetches are Sneetches,
and no kind of Sneetch is the BEST on the beaches.
That day, all the Sneetches forgot about stars,
and whether they had one or not upon thars.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
JMHO
I don't care if your high income or low income or No income .
We are all part of a family here sharing our ideas and
talents to get us all through the changing world we have here.
Its all about survival for each persons family and lifestyle.
We learn from each other no matter what.

·
Registered
746 Posts
:biggrin:
The Sneetches got quite a bit smarter that day.
That day, they decided that Sneetches are Sneetches,
and no kind of Sneetch is the BEST on the beaches.
That day, all the Sneetches forgot about stars,
and whether they had one or not upon thars.
A great way to put it. As always, Dr. Seuss comes through.

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
I totally agree :)

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know that story Sara... but the "Sneetches" were no longer separated in groups, no one could tell who came from what group...

I was afraid this thread would cause problems. It was not meant to divide anyone. No one needed to reply to it. I was expressing my opinions.

No, I am not jealous, I have been in various income levels, including the extremely wealthy.

No, I don't want to start a no-income kith... that is the opposite of what I was trying to get at.

True- people of different incomes have different challanges... but... do they really? We still all need to eat, pay bills, prepare for retirement. Only the amounts vary, the road is the same.

I give up, I purposely used the personal views section.

I had a star, but I sold it on ebay.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I don't feel the income kith's divide us. I have been in all three and could care less. The reason I have been in all three is the death of my first husband and my quiting my job. Their are challenges no matter where you are at. Our goals are what unite us.
I have learned so much from people who are at all income levels. The sharing that goes on here is unbelievably generous, kind and practical. That sharing makes me think and helps me travel down this frugal path. I don't feel like I am alone anymore.
No income level, debate or kith will make me feel divided from people who have like minded goals. I refuse.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Lady V, I just read your last post and it occurred to me that I hadn't thanked you for posting your initial comments. Youmade me think and look at issues beyound the superficial. Nothing wrong with that.

Thank you

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I don't think the kiths divide the group. The reason we are here is to become more frugral, people with higher incomes can mismanage their money and get in a financial mess just as easy if not easier then someone with a lower income. As someone else has already pointed out maybe in California the job you have will pay $100,000 a year, but that same job might only pay $40,000 in West Virginia. The cost of living would be higher in California, therefor putting the same financial stress on that person as the person with the same job on the other side of the country. Honestly I feel that I have as much to learn from someone with a lower income then me as I could learn from someone with a higher income then me.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
As someone else has already pointed out maybe in California the job you have will pay $100,000 a year, but that same job might only pay $40,000 in West Virginia. The cost of living would be higher in California, therefor putting the same financial stress on that person as the person with the same job on the other side of the country.

Then why have the different income groups at all? If the stress is the same, then what difference does what your paycheck say make? Does anyone else not see what I am trying to say??

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
But they are different.

When higher income frugalites try to be frugal, they encounter the "why bother?" attitude from family, friends, and outright strangers. Other people think, if they make that much $$ why are they bothering to be frugal. What is the point? Are they just being cheap?

What people don't realize is that frugality isn't just about saving money. To some it's a way of not wasting, recycling if you will. It's a way to not be so materialistic. A way to "beat the system". It's a challenge for some to see how far they can go on how little or how much they can save and still live happily and healthily.

It's not always about "I have to scrimp here because I have to have $ to pay (fill in the blank)". For a lot of people it's "why shouldn't I scrimp here if I can?"

I also look at higher income kiths in two ways. Those who are high income and high debt so they are here looking for ways to get back out of it. And those who are high income and little to no debt. They are where most of us aspire to be. If not high income then at least the little to no debt part. Either way, we can all learn from each other.

It doesn't matter how much or how little a person makes. It does matter that people fit in here and if seeking out other people going through the same thing helps, then so be it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have to admit that i haven't read the post or topic that started off this thread, but reading just a little bit of this has me worried.
You see i don't post here often but i do come here just about every day, to get my energy boost. This is the one place i can rely on to be nice and friendly. The people here restore my faith in human nature with their caring and excepting natures. I visit alot of other forums and they all seem to have topics that start wars, cause arguments and hurt feelings.
This place has such a welcoming, homely feel that i would hate to see it change.
Im afraid i can't properly put into words just what a life saver this place is, not just in the help and advice thats given freely and without judgment, but as a place to sit back throw off the anger, sniping, name calling and heaviness of most of the other forums and "advice" sites out there and... breathe.
Im sorry if i've rambled on but in a crazy world this is one of the only sane places i've found.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
I actually think it's a good thing that FV attracts people from all income levels. It's important to practice frugality at all income levels. Just because someone is in a high income level doesn't mean they have zero debt. People at higher incomes often have lots of debts.

I see nothing wrong with it. It's just another way for people to people to connect.

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
Just a personal observation---you said you put it under the personal views and debates. Obviously you did it that way because you wanted people to be able to express their views on the matter. People started to do that and you say " give up, I purposely used the personal views section" I don't understand why you would give up just because people don't agree with you.

If you think of it, we have already separated ourselves into knitting clubs and coffee kiths, income is just another way of doing it. We learn from those similar to ourselves. In the middle income kith, I cannot apply some of the high income kiths tips to my life, but someone else in the middle income kith can learn from them.

It will only divide us if we allow it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts