Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using cloth shopping bags for quite awhile and even though I thought I'd miss the small plastic ones that I reused for bathroom trash bags, litter disposal, and other things such as packing or toteing around muddy cleats, I really haven't. I saw posted somewhere a comment to that linked - useing cloth shopping bags but buying kitchen garbage bags -. I can't remeber the exact nature or wording of the comment but it definately triggered in me the thought that my next step would be eliminating trash bags. I think I'm ready to take that plunge. For the last couple of weeks though I've been trying to figure out what to use to put the garbage in. I've thought about just dumping it in the kitchen garbage can and then dumping that in the outside garbage can and washing the garbage cans after each unloading but that still seems to me that it would be very :yucky: Not actuallly sure since I've been chicken to try it. Maybe it would be fine. Is there anyone out there not useing plastic for garbage disposal at all??? What do you use????

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
I remember someone saying that they used the newspaper to line the trash can with.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
I have gone 'bagless' a few times... but only because I ran out of bags :lol:

We have a dumpster here, so I can just dump my trash canister daily... I don't know how it would work for curb-side pickup around here... the trash collectors are a wee bit messy... flip lid, swing barrel, toss barrel.

Before you go bagless, you may want to check with the collectors to see if it is allowed... I know when I was a house-dweller, they wouldn't even collect yard waste unless it was in a bag.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I have wondered if anyone goes bagless too and how that works out for them. I use the biodegradeable plastic grocery bags for my kitchen garbage. I only use a few of these small bags a week and then I take the rest of my bags back to the grocery store for recycle. I have considered using a washable cloth bag for most of the groceries and then only put some groceries in the plastic bags so I have enough for my garbage each week.

I don't use plastic liners in my bathroom, office, or bedroom garbages. I don't use a plastic liner in my cat litter pan either. We only use 3 small grocery bags a week for garbage, but it would be nice to even eliminate those too :).

·
Registered
17 Posts
What about a large "wetbag", like those used for cloth diapering? But they you would have to dump the bag into a dumpster, and wash the bag. Not sure which is more wasteful?

I plan on buying recycled plastic bags when I need them again. Ideally I'd like to go to grocery store bags (I have a ton left!) and eliminate the garbage can completely!!!! It's huge, ugly, and takes up too much precious space in my tiny kitchen.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
u can buy biodegradable trash bags biobags but i havent used them personally, i know thats not what you were asking but it may help

1 - 6 of 6 Posts