Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been so proud of us we've worked so hard to get just over $600 saved up for our BEF and it sounds like before we get to the $1000 it's already going to go!! Our furnace isnt working now and we are all freezing. DH thinks its something to do with the main control on the furnace. Whenever you turn it on just the fan blows coldish air (no heat). He figures we'll have to call someone - we'll probably wait til morning - not sure if it would be cheaper Saturday night or Sunday or if we should wait til Monday even (but then I'd have to switch my work days around). I just don't know why this sort of things happens when we get going well with our savings (I know that $600 doesnt sound like a lot, but with our income and expenses it's a lot for us). And whooosh there it goes probably :( I dont know what to do!!!! I feel like cuddling up in a blanket and crying :(

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
have you tried googling the brand of heater and what the issue is you can get alot of free info on the net we had ours stop just because some tube that is suppose to drain water was kinked so it wouldnt drain and it turned the heat off.

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Stop! Before you do anything check on YouTube. Ours wasn't working and DH checked on there, found the problem and fixed it for under $20. It takes some time finding what you want but you will, I am sure. Good luck! :)

Reactions: frugrrl

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I'm trying to find something online ... it's a lennox G26Q3-75-1 - the fan turns on, but only blows cold air ...

dh husband thinks it may be the furnace control its a honeywell S866 OK

..... we're not finding anything

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
But that's why you HAVE an emergency fund!!! You have the $$ to fix it - you will not have to go into debt.

I hope you're warm again really soon - it sucks that you're cold tonight.

Reactions: nuisance26 and Russ

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Sounds like a thermo cupler if it is a gas furnace.

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
I am sorry for your trouble with your furance hope you get it fixed real soon with out costing a lot.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Sorry for your trouble with your furnace.

But, yes, if you have a 'Mr. Fixit' I sure would google some info and see what I could find out.........even if you have to call a repairman you will be better able to communicate with him.

Hope you are warm and toasty soon.

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
We have been nursing our 1972 model along for years and I have the same fear. This year it was blowing cold but DH had it set to supplemental so it's fine now-for now. Hope you can get it straightened out soon. Pretty sure we have a Lennox also. Good luck. And yes thats what your reserve is for.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
i found this :

Question
I believe I have a lennox g26 furnace. I recently had my power off and when I turned it back on the furnace was blowing cold air. My gas is on as I have hot water and my stove top works. All outlets work so I'm guessing its nothing electrical. I removed the front panel and I don't see any flame in the pilot viewing box? do you think this is a cleaning issue or possibly a replacement part issue?

first tun off all power, then remove the front cover of the unit and look somewhere on the inside probably up on the left hand side you should see a thermostat box with a red overheat reset buttonm
this is possibly the cause of your problem . press this and then replace all covers before turning power back on
this hopefully should solve your problem

·
Registered
2,053 Posts

·
2,688 Posts
I am guessing you have a gas furnace ?

Are you out of fuel ?

Cold air would mean no heat coming into the system.

Igniter not working ?

If you don't know how to work with gas, please DON'T.
Get a expert there to fix it. Cheaper to fix the furnace,
than to replace a whole house. Does the place where you
buy the fuel, have a tech that you can call ?

Right now we only use propane for our kitchen stove. When
a tank runs out, I shut the valve off at the stove till we
replace the outside tank with the back up one.
When we used the big propane tank for our furnace, we did
not mess with anything if we had a problem. We would call the tech, and shut the gas off while we waited.

Reactions: HappyMama

·
Registered
719 Posts
I am guessing you have a gas furnace ?

Are you out of fuel ?

Cold air would mean no heat coming into the system.

Igniter not working ?

If you don't know how to work with gas, please DON'T.
Get a expert there to fix it. Cheaper to fix the furnace,
than to replace a whole house.
Does the place where you
buy the fuel, have a tech that you can call ?

Right now we only use propane for our kitchen stove. When
a tank runs out, I shut the valve off at the stove till we
replace the outside tank with the back up one.
When we used the big propane tank for our furnace, we did
not mess with anything if we had a problem. We would call the tech, and shut the gas off while we waited.
Yes, please be careful. Gas isn't something to mess around with. It sucks to have to spend the emergency fund early, BUT, hey...it's there isn't it? You don't have to go into debt to pay for the repair. That really is awesome.

Reactions: HappyMama

·
Registered
90 Posts
I've definitely been where you are. I remember as a student struggling so hard to save some money and then my car broke down and there went the money I had saved. I was so mad!

It's so great that you have the money for this repair and it won't amount to debt! The furnace would have gone out whether you had built the EF or not, so you're way ahead.

That said, have you called a technician just to ask some questions? If you get a good one, they can help you diagnose the problem over the phone and possibly help you get it fixed without a service call. I've had it happen. Just keep asking questions and don't give them your addess :lol3: GL and I hope the repair is inexpensive!

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks we have an electric heater going right now ... freezing!! DH figures its the electric control on it & that we need a professional to fix it. We're going to get prices for fixing it today (Sunday) vs tomorrow (Monday) and see what the difference is. It's suppose to go down below zero tonight brrrrrr .... I guess your right, the furnace would have broke whether we had the EF saved or not, just frustrating seems as though we can never get ahead. DH tried turning the power back on to the furance this morning, but still just cold air blowing ..

·
2,688 Posts
Is your furance gas ?
And do you need to shut anything off ? Or have you ?

I am used to propane from a big tank. So if the pilot light would go out, the furnace would still be having propane going to it, unless it got shut off and or relit.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.