Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In another discussion, one of our members said her boyfriend is immature and selfish because he doesn't want children, and she wants him to change his attitude toward children before they marry.

I am a woman who never wanted children and thankfully found a wonderful husband who also was of the same mind. Never have I thought that I was immature or selfish for knowing what I wanted in my life. And I never would have married a man who wanted children, since it wasn't in my cards. I have know since a very young age (my early teenage years) that I absolutely did not want to have children, despite that it is not the "socially acceptable" life path to many.

So I'm curious about what others think. Are people who know they don't want children selfish and immature? Or are they mature and confident about how they want to live their lives?

·
Registered
479 Posts
I love children dearly and wish I had been able to have more than one. But I don't think there is anything wrong with you or anyone else for not wanting children. You are not 'immature and selfish' for choosing to not bring more children into this world. OTOH, there are plenty immature and selfish parents out there, like the deadbeat (expletive deleted) ex-husband of my parents' next door neighbor. This creep had something like 9 affairs in 10 years of marriage. He is currently unemployed; was kicked OUT of the National Guard; fired from an excellent civil service job on the nearby Marine Corps base, and is a year behind on his support payments and rarely shows up to visit his three kids. Oh, but he recently got a dog, and asked his ex wife to watch it AND his current girlfriend's dog for a few weeks. Talk about selfish, immature...and HE wanted to have more kids before his wife cottoned on to his infidelity and kicked his sorry butt out the door.

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
I dont think NOT wanting children is selfish or immature. Some have to realize that not everyone wants children. If you are with a person who doesnt want children and you do, that is only going to cause many many long sleepless nights and fighting between you both.

My point.... make sure that you and your BF/GF wants (having children) are the same.... you can't just be compatible because you both like the same foods or share similar interests as when it all boils down to marriage and family that's where it matters the most.

·
Registered
922 Posts
There is nothing at all wrong with not wanting to have children......

As long as you are straight up with whomever you have a serious relationship with. No secrets, no maybe's.......and if the other person wants children and thinks that you will change your mind you have to be able to walk away!

JMHO,
leezza

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
If I wasn't so sick, I'd elaborate more, but no, I do not think it's immature at all not to want children. It just simply isn't a calling for some people.

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
I agree, children aren't for everyone. I think knowing that before you get pregnant is in fact a sign of maturity. I can think of several young men I know who should have thought about it before it was too late.

IMO, the immature and selfish one is the GF who wants her BF to 'figure it out' before they get married. Dragging him to the altar is not going to turn him into the perfect father and husband. She needs to realize that and wake up to the fact that maybe this isn't the right guy for her if she wants kids and he does not.

Reactions: Felisha

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I'm on the same page as you with this. I've never wanted children, and I married someone who also didn't want children.

I think it takes maturity to buck convention on this. Many of us who have made the decision not to have children deal with rude and judgemental people as if it really matters to them whether or not we add another person to the world. I just don't see the "selfishness" in realizing that you don't want children rather than following the lifescript and being a lousy parent because of it.

Lack of tolerance and not understanding that not everyone wants the same thing is far more immature than admitting you don't want to follow the road most traveled.

To me, children are a fundamental issue in marriage. If you don't agree on this issue, you probably shouldn't get married.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Most definitely not selfish or immature to make the decision not to have children. That's the great thing about this life, we're very fortunate to be able to make a choice.

I think it's a very responsible decision to make and maybe more people should go that route. If someone truly feels strongly about not having children there is nothing wrong with that. No one should try to force you to change your mind.

Reactions: lgw and JanieD

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
No--I don't think it's selfish and immature to not want children. I think that it is selfish and immature to have children, just to have them, regardless of how one's s.o. feels.

I think it takes an incredible amount of maturity to know that children are not for you and to stick to that.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have to agree with everyone else. It is is not selfish or immature. I found out at a very young age that I would not be able to have children, so I have never wanted any, my husband has not wanted any either. (even though he would make the best dad ever). The fact that this person would say this about their significant other just shows how immature and selfish they are. :bigglass:

·
Registered
307 Posts
IMO, the immature and selfish one is the GF who wants her BF to 'figure it out' before they get married. Dragging him to the altar is not going to turn him into the perfect father and husband. She needs to realize that and wake up to the fact that maybe this isn't the right guy for her if she wants kids and he does not.
The fact that this person would say this about their significant other just shows how immature and selfish they are. :bigglass:
I totally agree with the answers in this thread, especially these two points.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
We all don't have to live the same life style. I have two children, I would NEVER assume that everyone should want to have my life. I wouldn't want to have 17 kids. Does that make me selfish? I think it is wise to know what your own personal desires and limits are.

·
Registered
316 Posts
my own son and his fiance have decided not to have children. he had asked me if i minded not having any grandchildren. this was quite a while ago. i told him it was between the both of them and not to worry about our feelings.

i say whatever makes them happy. no one has the right to "judge" people's decisions on what they do with their lives. it is their choice.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
my own son and his fiance have decided not to have children. he had asked me if i minded not having any grandchildren. this was quite a while ago. i told him it was between the both of them and not to worry about our feelings.

i say whatever makes them happy. no one has the right to "judge" people's decisions on what they do with their lives. it is their choice.
Rosey, you sound like my mother! Years ago when I asked her if she was sad that she'd never be a grandparent, she said no, that I was her kid and whatever made me happy made her happy. And she loves being a grammy to her grandcats!

Reactions: rosey7415

·
Registered
660 Posts
I don't think it's inmature of childish to havedecided that you do not want to bring a child into this world. Afterall it is a CHOICE not a requirement!!!

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Children are very tough to raise (IMO) for people who REALLY want them. Especially if you have a strong drive to do it as well as you possibly can.

Too many people have children ("oh, wouldn't it be nice for us to make a cute little baby!") and then don't raise them---they just 'let them grow up in their house'--ignored and neglected.

I think it's very smart and mature to know yourself well, and know that would not be a good scenario for you. I also don't think it is selfish.

I think it is selfish to bring a child into the world because a person wants 'baby-cuteness', but isn't ready or willing to do what it takes for 18 years. I also don't think it's good to force a potential spouse into the idea of being a parent, when they know they aren't cut out for it.

Reactions: suzysaver and lgw

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
I have never even remotely wanted kids. I am glad that there are people out there who do, because that takes the burden off of me to repopulate the world. :D

My mother keeps telling me I'm too selfish to have kids. I guess in a way that is true. I like my personal time, and I don't really want to sacrifice 20+ years of my life making sure someone else gets off to a good start! :) I told my mother that she is going to have to be satisfied with furry and feathered grandkids from me. Just to rub it in, I send her cards on G'mother's day (from the animals) and an extra card on her bday (Happy BDay, G'Ma) and sign it with the parrots' and dogs' names. She always gets all fussy about it, but I think, secretly, she likes it. :)

·
Registered
176 Posts
While I agree that not wanting children is not immature, I feel kind of sorry for the lady to whom you are referring. An entire thread was posted to call her out on an opinion she posted in another thread. I'm sure if she had known this would happen, she would have thought twice about posting her personal wish. I wish it had been taken up in a personal message.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I feel sorry also for the person at issue. Quite probably she is very serious about her relationship and this may have come as a big roadblock. It would not be east to :"walk away", but in the end this is something that even if he "changed his mind" he would not really be into being a good father. Lots of problems there!!!!!

Also, I have friends who have never had children and they got a lot of flack about it. People would even ask me why! My reply, "too many people have babies that shouldn't even have a pet much less a child, this couple is mature in making their decision"

1 - 20 of 47 Posts