Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.. I need to get this off my chest...I HATE MY JOB! I've been a CNA ( nurses aid) for 20 plus years now..I'm currently been with my facility for 16yrs now and the changes over the past years are incredible..the stress level is more than I can bear..I love my resident's...it's all the other Bullsh** that is really getting to me...I really need your input on the thing's that I've seen that just aren't right..my DNS should be fired and never allowed in this position ever ever again..I also want to mention that the DNS is and has been on a power trip having this position for quite awhile now (she was our infection control nurse for years but when the DNS job became available no one wanted it so it was offered to her as a LAST resort..) problem's have been brought to her attention that are legit and she makes excuses for whatever the problem might be twist's word's or the person talking to her about legit problem's get's burned in the end..The charge nurses are allowed to verbally abuse the aid's and the DNS will back the nurse's no matter what..In the DNS eye's every LPN/RN is gold in her eye's and can do no wrong..they come first! You can't go to the Administator because he has no back bone and everything that is mentioned to him (following the chain of command of coarse) go's right back to the director (DNS) and boy your really in deep sh$% then.. Here are a list of things that are/is wrong..

We are mandated to have 12hrs of inservice time a year..until about 2yrs ago when we got a new Staff development nurse our inservice time was doctored for at least 7yrs..yes I mean we never had even 6hr's of inservices a year..I would love to know if the facility is and can be held accountable for the forging of our names on the supposed sp? inservices we we legally entitled to..

Told our 15 minute break in the afternoone is a thank you for your hard work break..but they don't have to give you that break if they don't want to! I thought that was the law if you work 8hrs? I can't seem to find out if that is true or not? I work in Connecticut..

Our 1/2hr lunch is paid for by the facility..told if we are late for our lunch break tough luck if you only get a 15 minute lunch..

We chart on our resident's using computer's..I've seen CNA's several times chart during their lunch break because there's so much work to do they can't leave at their scheduled time if they don't chart at that time..meaning no lunch for them..That is so WRONG..

We have a supervisor who's daughter is a CNA and work's on the same floor with her mom (was alway's a big no-no because of favortism sp? and had to work on opposite floor's or shift's)..the daughter goe's into the scheduling book to see who's working or tell's her mom she doesn't want to work such & such day so her mom just erases her name off the schedule..It's not like anybody can go look at the SUPERVISORS book! Not to mention if she has any problem with another co-worker and voices that to her mom where do think that senerio would go?

The supervisor also has a best friend that work's on the same floor nd they stick together like glue..this best friend is a PHYSICAL/VERBAL ABUSER to my resident's..you can't report this because #1 she's best friends w/the supervisor..#2 They are of different race...#3 the director is all for backing the nurse's..#4 you WILL lose your job..

The nurses will gang up on you if they don't like you..make sure that they get you written up for something even if it isn't true..because the DNS will back them..

Resident's are all suppose to be treated EQUAL no matter what...but we as in CNA's are to give some resident's SPECIAL treatment because their family member's donate money & when the family is with their mom or dad and tell the nurses that the aid's need to make their family member #1 over anyone else because they donate x amount of dollar's.. CNA"S are TOLD to take care of them first! What you don't think that some of our less fortunate resident's don't see the special treatment? BULLSH%#..............

That's just a very FEW problem's I have with the facility..I know I should just look for another job..but I won't get paid what I'm making plus I get 1 month a yr paid vacation a year..There is so much more that I could write but it would take hr's to write..I really want to take the higher up's down..they don't deserve the positions they have..There is so much crookedness sp? that you wouldn't believe it if I told you.. Please tell me what you think!

·
Premium Member
4,575 Posts
Told our 15 minute break in the afternoone is a thank you for your hard work break..but they don't have to give you that break if they don't want to! I thought that was the law if you work 8hrs? I can't seem to find out if that is true or not? I work in Connecticut..

Our 1/2hr lunch is paid for by the facility..told if we are late for our lunch break tough luck if you only get a 15 minute lunch..
Question number 7 will answer this. On edit, 7 and 8 will naswer your questions regarding breaks.

FAQs For Employers

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Oh Brenda, you've got to get out of there!!! NO money or vacation time is worth your peace of mind, my friend! Please reconsider leaving and find a place you can work that will treat you right and is not CORRUPT! :hugz:

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
FYI, with the changes coming for ICD-10 processing, I would think medical recording coding would have opportunity. If you are interested in taking the education it might be something you could explore. I will tell you personally it is the same all over. My company has us working 14 and 16 hours days...salary so no $$$ to ease it over.....it is sure hard. I hope you find something that brings you peace of mind. I vote looking for something else...

Reactions: brenda67

·
Registered
109 Posts
Brenda, sorry for all this trouble, you sound like a dedicated CNA. I would look for another job, it sounds like it is only a matter of time before they gang up on you and get You fired! They always attack the little ones. My Mom was a LPN, hated her job, had to tell RNs what to do! She is so happy to be out of that field. She loved the nursing part hated the politics and policies. Hugs to you!:cheerup:

·
Registered
472 Posts
I am a nurse...I can tell u that if my aids miss their assigned lunch break (which is 11-11:30 and 11:30-12,depending on your assignment,they have to wait until 1:30 or 2pm to take it...
Why? because you are there for the residents and trays should be passed out as soon as they hit the floor...you are entitled to a break but not at the expense of a residents hot meal...
it sucks when there is noone to turn to when there's problems..I can relate to that...:(
Sounds like maybe you could use a union...they are good for the fairness factor...

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I am a nurse...I can tell u that if my aids miss their assigned lunch break (which is 11-11:30 and 11:30-12,depending on your assignment,they have to wait until 1:30 or 2pm to take it...
Why? because you are there for the residents and trays should be passed out as soon as they hit the floor...you are entitled to a break but not at the expense of a residents hot meal...
it sucks when there is noone to turn to when there's problems..I can relate to that...:(
Sounds like maybe you could use a union...they are good for the fairness factor...

Thank you for your input..You are right we are there for the resident's..however..the nurse's( at my facility anyway and I believe that's across the board) are suppose to be helping also to take care of our resident's (there is 2 LPN's plus one RN just on one floor of 44 bed's..compare that to 4 to 5 CNA ratio. They are lazy and should be the ones that are watched! I have no respect for 99% of the Nurse's...sad but true! I've been their many year's(the facilty has only been open for 18yrs for which I've been there 16 of those years) and have watched many leave..I can count on one hand how many really good nurse's out of all the crappy one's that weren't lazy and treated everyone with respect..unfortunately the good ones leave because they see how it's ran and don't want to lose their license's..yes they have personally told me this before they resigned or just left before their 2 week's were up.. Anyway they are just as much responsible to get off their ass and answer bell's..take resident's to the bathroom as we are..which again leads back our DNS that the nurses are gold and the cna's are sh#$.... The Union did make and appearance and the employees were basically threatened they would lose their jobs..Also we don't get to makeup for any part of our lunch break that we didn't get..

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
have you ever thought of going into homecare ?? get to work 1 on 1 with pts so you can feel less stressed and more like you are meeting their needs.

technically if its found out you havent had proper inservices and you know thats what you are supposed to have by state laws and you know pts are being abused and you dont report it you can be held legally accountable even if you kept your mouth shut for fear of loosing your job .

i would get out of there .
less money is sometimes better in the long run - i could make about 10$ more a visit ( and i make from 4-8 a day ) with another agency but i prefer to make less where i feel i have more control over my work and the times and my days off even as a per deim sone agencies would tell me i need to work 8-5-on days i work - where i am now- i take on pts case manage them and work around my and my kids schedule.
i se ~ 20 a week or more so thats 200$ before taxes i give up for my own sanity and stress level .

not worth a million a month to me if i flare my fibromyalgia due to stress or am late picking up my kids from school etc.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
have you ever thought of going into homecare ?? get to work 1 on 1 with pts so you can feel less stressed and more like you are meeting their needs.

technically if its found out you havent had proper inservices and you know thats what you are supposed to have by state laws and you know pts are being abused and you dont report it you can be held legally accountable even if you kept your mouth shut for fear of loosing your job .

i would get out of there .
less money is sometimes better in the long run - i could make about 10$ more a visit ( and i make from 4-8 a day ) with another agency but i prefer to make less where i feel i have more control over my work and the times and my days off even as a per deim sone agencies would tell me i need to work 8-5-on days i work - where i am now- i take on pts case manage them and work around my and my kids schedule.
i se ~ 20 a week or more so thats 200$ before taxes i give up for my own sanity and stress level .

not worth a million a month to me if i flare my fibromyalgia due to stress or am late picking up my kids from school etc.

Thanks...The Agencies have been slim picking's for quite awhile now.. we have poeple coming back to our facilty after leaving us for the agency..I want you to know that the abuse was reported...but it was covered up!Why? ...because the CNA is of color and her best friend is our Superviser whom is also of color....Yup got all swept under the carpet.. (I want to mention that I have nothing against a different race..but don't use it to your advantage because you can) I know it should of went even further up the line but everyone needs their job..it would have ended up a racial thing..my facility doesn't want to deal with that..I said my facility is very corrupt..As far as the Inservice hours are you saying I could loose my job because they didn't do their job? If that's to be true they would have to fire over 200 employees whom are all in the same boat as me..

p.s. I make $16.45 an hour ($18.00 on weekends)..would be over $18.00 now if the darn economy didn't tank..haven't seen a raise in 3 yrs! I also should mention that I work only 24hrs...I just need to suck it up except that thing's are not gonna change (unless our DNS get's fired) for the better and be happy I'm not working 40hrs a week like most of the world..

·
Registered
472 Posts
yes,nurses should help. When the dutys they need to do are finished...my aids now that I'll stop what I'm doing to help them boost or transfer a resident...However,there are times where I am too busy to stop what I'm doing...If I'm in front of the room or walking down the hall,I will answer lights...but during my med pass,unless I'm in the direct area,I dont. Legally,I cant leave my cart while meds are being poured..Too much room for error... :(
We have 52 residents on a shared floor...5 cna's and 2 nurses..however,I have 29 the other nurse has 23....
Your in a pickle for sure..:(
I experience things that I hate...I'm stuck cause noone within a 30 mile radius pays as much or has insurance at a similiar payment a week as I have...So,I stay cause I cant afford to bring home less than I do now...
You have compassion and you CARE...CNA's like you are hard to come by...
I hope it gets better for you..

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yes,nurses should help. When the dutys they need to do are finished...my aids now that I'll stop what I'm doing to help them boost or transfer a resident...However,there are times where I am too busy to stop what I'm doing...If I'm in front of the room or walking down the hall,I will answer lights...but during my med pass,unless I'm in the direct area,I dont. Legally,I cant leave my cart while meds are being poured..Too much room for error... :(
We have 52 residents on a shared floor...5 cna's and 2 nurses..however,I have 29 the other nurse has 23....
Your in a pickle for sure..:(
I experience things that I hate...I'm stuck cause noone within a 30 mile radius pays as much or has insurance at a similiar payment a week as I have...So,I stay cause I cant afford to bring home less than I do now...
You have compassion and you CARE...CNA's like you are hard to come by...
I hope it gets better for you..

My nurses get their work done fairly quickly do to the supervisor helping them out..they will sit at the desk talking about their personal life while call bell's & alarm's going off left or right and the CNA's are running around like a chicken with their heads cut off. I've seen I don't even know how many times the Nurses,DNS & the Administator walk right on by the call bell light's..obviously my poor resident's pay in the end due to fall's or their incontinent from waiting so long..I love my resident's and I feel bad for them alot..unfortunately I take that stress home with me..
As far as wages I make more than most LPN's in the County I live in..so yes pay is a good reason why I just can't get myself to leave there..as well as I accrue sp? holiday,personal ,sick and vacation time.

I'm happy to see you help your resident's & CNA's.. Also you getting more resident's to tend to than your fellow co-worker just tell's me that you can handle more responsabilty..obviously you are a GOOD NURSE! Thanks for your insight..

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
the abuse needs to be reported to the state not to people in your company .

·
Registered
651 Posts
I also am a CNA I just took a weekend position at a nursing home it is hard work and as you know we should be paid more . I also have seen in the past at different homes abuse that has been covered up but if it one of us it would get reported. I know how you feel I just try to give the best care I can and put my time in . I have seen so many changes in the 8 years since I have been doing this and it just seems to get worse not better . I hope things get better for you .

·
Registered
472 Posts
My nurses get their work done fairly quickly do to the supervisor helping them out..they will sit at the desk talking about their personal life while call bell's & alarm's going off left or right and the CNA's are running around like a chicken with their heads cut off. I've seen I don't even know how many times the Nurses,DNS & the Administator walk right on by the call bell light's..obviously my poor resident's pay in the end due to fall's or their incontinent from waiting so long..I love my resident's and I feel bad for them alot..unfortunately I take that stress home with me..
As far as wages I make more than most LPN's in the County I live in..so yes pay is a good reason why I just can't get myself to leave there..as well as I accrue sp? holiday,personal ,sick and vacation time.

I'm happy to see you help your resident's & CNA's.. Also you getting more resident's to tend to than your fellow co-worker just tell's me that you can handle more responsabilty..obviously you are a GOOD NURSE! Thanks for your insight..
I was a CNA for 7 years before I was a nurse...I worked with a nurse who would be standing in front of the room I needed a boost in and would tell you to find an aid....I vowed I would never be like that....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.