Frugal Village Forums banner

Oatmeal cookie help.

1829 Views 24 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  Squidge
I have a recurring issue with baking oatmeal cookies (or any 'chewy' cookie, in fact). The underside of these cookies occasionally seem slightly underdone, as though they are - in parts - still a little wet, even after they have cooled. Is this just a case of me taking them out of the oven too soon? :dunce:

I follow the temperature guidelines of any recipe I follow, I preheat the oven appropriately and stick to the recommended timings and often I leave them in longer if I fear they will have this uncooked rawness. I can't quite figure out what I am doing wrong :(. If anyone could help me work this out I would be forever grateful! :)
1 - 2 of 25 Posts
I've been baking oatmeal raisin cookies with my mom my entire life and yet for some reason, I ended up accidently buying (and then using, because I didn't feel like going back to the store lol...) the quick oats. I had the problem you're describing now. The texture is just not the same as using regular oats, they're gooey and just don't set up right. Oh, and they ended up with bubbles while cooking. Try regular oats and I bet you won't have a problem.
Well you are either a perfectionist or you plan to sell them....which is it ? :)
Another variable I thought of , might be your elevation.

I use a shiny cookie sheet. I think it is a air one. Like a double thickness one. I have 2 of these. Cookies do better on them than dull cookie sheets. I don't know the name of them. I did look on the bottom. I bought these both used at garage sales.
Hehehe...I was thinking the same thing!

I've used warm cookie sheets in the past, because the recipe my family uses makes probably 5 sheets or so of the cookies.. and never had an issue before using the quick oats. I also wonder, what kind of fat are you using? Ours calls for margarine and that's what we've always used. I've heard that using real butter or the soft spreads makes baked goods turn out differently.

Oh, and about the quick oats. They did bubble while cooking, but after they had cooled, they didn't have holes in them. Once they were set up, they were almost crusty rather than chewy. Almost like I hadn't used oats at all.
1 - 2 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.