Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, OAMC is a little to intimidating for me right now, so I thought I would try once a week instead. So far I have cooked up lots of corn, probable enough for a month. Lori gave me the best idea. I am reusing the bags that the cereal comes in...the one inside the box. It perfectly holds 5 ears of corn, just the amount I need for one meal. Lori made perfect sense when she said that the bags are meant to keep cereal fresh for a year or more...what could be better and more frugal...Thanks Lori!

I also bought lots of brocolli on sale last week, I par boiled it and froze it up in bags.

I am making lots of chicken on the grill, I marinaded it in some Lawry's marinade I got free with coupons. I made extra so I could freeze a batch for later in the week too. Finals are coming round again soon and I am thinking of ways to get ahead.

Extra homework and extra cooking!!! I am impressing myself!!!

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
Good for you Robin!!!:) That will take lots of stress of of you! Good luck on your finals!:D

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
Your welcome, you are so productive this week..... You are so busy and I know this will help a lot...... I'll have 60 ears of corn in my freezer tomorrow !!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I don't do much OAMC, but I do cook extra and freeze the excess for a second meal. It's so handy and less overwhelming!

I also use the cereal bags to keep some things separate. Like frozen hamburger patties or frozen salsbury steaks. I use it instead of wax paper or freezer paper. I roll them up on an old paper towel roll. Later I just cut it to size.

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
I tend to do batch cooking, rather than true OAMC. If I find a good deal on ground beef, I'll buy a bunch and make up various hamburger recipes for the freezer, or if I find chicken on sale (like last week's .19/lb leg quarters) I'll cook up a bunch of chicken recipes.

I've been known to purchase 100 lbs. of chicken at one time and nearly 200 lbs of hamburger when I got a particularly good deal.

·
Heather Bob
7,312 Posts
Good for you Robin!!! What a great idea about the cereal bags, I never even thought of using those!:smball:

I haven't done a tried and true OAMC session, I tend to do it in small batches. I will boil up 20 pounds of hamburg and separate into baggies, make up stews and sauces and freeze. I have always baked and froze so I usually always have baking on hand. In the fall I will make up about 30 apples pies (favourite around here!), some peach pies, etc. and freeze them.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
OK Ladies I know I am OLD, but what is OAMC? Liz

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
Once A Month Cooking or in Robin's case Once A Week Cooking.

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
What a great idea to only do OAWC. That is more realistic for me too. I think I would finally be able to accomplish that instead of the OAMC.

I love the idea of using cereal bags! GREAT IDEA!!!

Good luck with OAWC and finals!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts