Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you know that a little before Christmas this past year, my youngest daughter T. was diagnosed with cervical cancer.
This was a huge shock to all of us. She is 23, she has never missed a yearly check up. Regardless of having the normal girlie tests done every year, she had gone from, completely normal, to Stage IIIab cervical cancer in the time span of 54 weeks. She went in for surgery the first part of Jan 2012 and they removed 93% of her cervic. She went in for her follow up this past Monday. It is back. She goes in Tuesday and they discuss the very few options that she has. Oral chemo, port chemo, or radiation.
I am telling the Village about this to make a point. (although all thoughts and Prayers are most welcome.) PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE. Do not be pulled into the new guidelines for female testing. T. had not missed a single yearly test since her first one when she was 15. Cervical cancer as a "norm" is a slow moving cancer. There are strands out there though that are SUPER agressive. If she had followed the new "rules" they would not have found it, and I hate to see where we would have ended up in that senerio (sp).

Please ladies; make sure you do these EVERY year. And guys, please encourage the women in your lives to do this every single year.

I will climb off my soap box now. Thank you for listening.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I'm sorry, I know too many in their early twenties with cervical cancer too. The new guidelines suck. Glad you didn't follow them but soooo sorry to hear about the outcome even with annual exams. :( Hugs to your daughter T.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Glad to hear she is OK now- thank goodness it was caught early enough! the big ? is- will insurnace companies now refuse to pay for the yearly test, since the guidelines have changed? I am betting so!

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I appriciate thoughts, hugs and prayers. I will post on this thread how her progress goes. I am sure that any surviors here will be able to tell her that what she is faceing at this point will not be plesant. But with Gods grace we will see it through.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I am so sorry your daughter is going through this. I am supposed to go every 6 mos. I had a colposcopy probably 2 yrs ago now. I am high risk for cervical cancer. Unfortunately I cannot afford medical insurance anymore! I am going to have to find a way to make it to see the gyno! Thank you for the reminder. Your daughter and family are in my thoughts and prayers.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
:hugz: and a good reminder for all us women out there.

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
I am so sorry your daughter is going through this. I am supposed to go every 6 mos. I had a colposcopy probably 2 yrs ago now. I am high risk for cervical cancer. Unfortunately I cannot afford medical insurance anymore! I am going to have to find a way to make it to see the gyno! Thank you for the reminder. Your daughter and family are in my thoughts and prayers.
Call or go in to whoever you had been going to. Be honest and tell them you don't have insurance and ask if you can make payments. Hey, it's worth a shot and far better than the consequences possibilities of not at least asking.

Uni...thoughts and prayers with your daughter and your family. She, and you, must be scared to death.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Gah! I'm so sorry, mama. You and your daughter will be in my thoughts. Please keep us updated. :(

·
Super Moderator
1,958 Posts
Call your state health dept. and see if they have a program to cover female stuff for uninsured women. I know my state and the one next to it (VT and NH) both have such a program for Pap smears and mammograms.
Also you might try Planned Parenthood although the last time I went there as an uninsured I did not get much of a break in price.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I'm so, so sorry to hear this about your daughter. It's incredibly frustrating and sad when we do everything that we are supposed to, and we are still blindsided by cancer. Strength and healing thoughts for you and your family, my friend.:heartsm:

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Uni - Covering your family in prayers.
I'll be sure to discuss this issue w/my doctor during my next annual. I think all of us will need to more proactive in our health care as new "guidelines" come out. Its a slipper slope IMO as costs become more of an issue for many as health ins companies cut benefits.

·
Registered
924 Posts
so sorry and prayers for your daughter. 23 is just way too young to have to deal with such health problems.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
An update on where we are on this. T started oral Chemo on Wednesday. She takes 7 pills everyday, (5 in the morning, 2 in the evening.) They have to be taken at exactly the same time. Her boyfriends mom got her one of the pill boxes that has 2 compartments for each day (awsomeness, I hadn't thought of it glad she did), that T now totes with her everywhere. :) I made the rule that if her cellphone goes with her, then her pills must as well. (and trust me she goes very few places with out her phone :p ) She will take the pills for 2 months, then she is off of them for I think it is 1 month and then takes them for the following 2 months. I am glad that she has the breast care coverage (which covers female cancer). Her meds are $3000 a month. Thanking God for the blessings that he provides. With the BC she only has to pay $50 a month.
Thank you one and all for your hugs, thoughts and prayers. All are so appriciated.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts