Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay ladies/gents. We need to start throwing some ideas around here for our baking challenge this month. This next week is perfect weather for me to have the oven on. So suggestions please!

I was thinking that November would be a good month for cookies as I usually bake my cookies in advance for Christmas and freeze them for the holidays. So we need ideas people...start tossing them out! :)

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Well, with Halloween there will be enough sweets...how about something savory or a bread?

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's true. Madhen suggested cassaroles last month. They do have to be baked and nothing is better than a great cassarole on a cold night. :)

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Oh...casseroles are yummy. And I can make them on the weekend for leftovers for lunch. I would love that.

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
I think casseroles would be good.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Casseroles works for me. I'm in the mood for my chicken and dressing or shrimp & wildrice casserole.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
How many? I think I'll aim for one a week...they are just too yummy.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
DD#2 loves my chicken shells, and she will be here for a visit next weekend, so that will be my first casserole.

Broccoli, rice and cheese will be another.
Pizza pasta will be #3, and #4 is up in the air.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
I was sooo hoping it would be casseroles. I'm in for 3 this month.

Cat

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
GREAT!!! I am glad everyone is in agreement. :D Please make sure you post recipes (especially you dean, as ALL of them sound great!).

I will be in for 2 this month. :)

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Cassaroles sound great! Now that I'm moved in, all I have to do is find my baking things! Count me in on this challenge for October.

Reactions: Debbie-cat

·
Registered
742 Posts
I think that I might join all of you for this one. We just moved (just down the street) and I am looking at it has new start on being more domestic. I got really out of the groove this summer.
I am thinking 2 casserole, but it may end up being more.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Does anyone have a good chicken pot pie recipe using puff pastry?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am in- I will be aiming for 4. The first one will be King Ranch Chicken-this will use lots of pantry items.

Recipe:
1 whole chicken boiled-remove skin-Reserve some broth for recipe and save the rest for future use and shred chicken
1 can rotel tomatos
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1/4 cup chopped bell pepper
1/4 cup chopped onion
12 corn tortillas-I make them myself or you can use store bought
1-2 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
Take reserved broth and dip quartered corn tortillas into it. Line the bottom of the baking dish 9X13 with half of the corn tortillas
Add chicken, peppers, onions to mixing bowl.
Mix together soups and rotel in another bowl.
Pour soup mixture over chicken pepper and onion mixture and stir.
Layer half of chicken mixture on top of tortillas. Sprinkle 1/2 of cheese on top. Add remaining tortillas on top of chicken mixture then top with the rest of the chicken mixture and other half of cheese.
Bake for 45 min at 350 degrees.

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That sounds delicious leeshalulu! Thanks for sharing the recipe! :)

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
I am in for 2 have some in mind but i am going look at recipes will post which one later.

·
19,119 Posts
I am going to bake two dishes this month - probably with pumpkins and/or apples - both smell like fall to me!!

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
I'm in.......can have the oven on now, for sure.

Will be in for two.........maybe more. Not much room in my freezer so have to be careful.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I'm in for 4.

Pantry items only as ingredients!

1st casserole: Potato Pot

2 packets of any brand potatos au gratin
1 lg. can canned chicken (drained/boned)
2 tsp Montreal Steak seasoning (or whatever seasoning salt you use)

1 lg onion rough chopped
1 packet of brown gravy mix
1 can corn (drained)

add slightly less water than called for (the veggies have some)

note: you can really stretch this one by adding nearly any extra (even limpish) veggies you need to use up.

Mix all ingredients together in a covered casserole and bake at 350 for an hour. Allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving.

Meanwhile, open oven door and turn on ceiling fan!

1 - 20 of 59 Posts