·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Winter white or the hard red wheat? Thanks

·
Registered
381 Posts
I store almost all hard white (winter) wheat. I can use it in almost all baking with not much difference in the final product. When I bake with flour from hard red wheat, it's noticeable.

We grew hard red this year, and I stored 300lbs of it, so I need to start using it more. We're growing hard red again for next year's harvest, so I'll probably keep back even more. I did have Hubby plant some of my hard white wheat to see if it would grow well here. If it does, I'll ask him to plant a good strip of it.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm thinking of getting some winter white and going ahead and getting my grinder. I just think it would be a great thing to have around the house! Thanks!

·
Registered
381 Posts
You will LOVE baking with fresh flour!

What kind of mill are you considering? I have a Whisper Mill (that company was sold, and I believe NutraMill is the name that corresponds to my electric mill). I also have a Back-to-Basics manual mill. It used to be my only mill; now it's my backup. I love mills, though, and still dream of getting a Country Living mill with all the "bells and whistles" someday. :)

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have done a little research and thought about the Back to Basics mill, but then I wonder if you shouldn't have both. That was going to be my next question! :) I would love the Country Living Mill but oh my goodness they are expensive! Dh is still a little put off by the costs but I think in the scheme of things it will be worth it! Besides, I'm working off and on so I've been saving up for this! ;)

·
Registered
381 Posts
The Back-to-Basics mill is a nice, little mill. It's not very fast, and it has a small hopper, but it does mill a nice flour -- as well as cracks grains for cereals. For the money, it is a very good mill, IMO.

I am thrilled to have the Whisper Mill. Hubby ordered it for me, and I originally thought it was an extravagance (and it's anything but whisper quiet -- sounds like a jet taking off in the kitchen!), but I quickly came to love being able to grind large amounts of flour so quickly.

If you have the money set aside, an electric mill is really nice to have.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think that I will order a Back to Basics grinder and then continue to save up for an electric. Probably the Nutrimill. I read about them at Pleasant Hills wheat and grinders. Thanks for your insight. I just feel like it's time to get this ordered!

·
Registered
342 Posts
I've had a K-tec mill/grinder and have loved it for years!!! I buy both kinds of wheat...nothing like fresh ground flour warm from the grinder!! Katy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts