Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
and it's going to be yellow! (ewww) I apologize to those of you who have and enjoy yellow houses, but I just can't stand them. They actually hurt my eyes to look at. I think it's because they are so bright. Our own home used to be this ugly mustard yellow (I called it baby poop yellow) color and thank goodness for a huge storm that came through and damaged the siding so I could change the color to Cape Cod gray with white trim. The thought of having to look at that house during the winter when the trees have lost their leaves is just yucky!!!!:eek:

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I feel your pain. DH and I were driving through a neighborhood the other day and we saw a house that was painted fuschia. Yuck!!!

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob
5,738 Posts
I was watching HGTV last night and they were at a trade show of all the new home products. One of the items they featured was a static-cling "scene" that you could put over windows to change an undesirable view into a pretty scene. Sounds like you could use some of those! ;)

You'd like it where I live.... "America's largest community of all-brick homes". Personally, I'd like to see some yellow or other colors once in a while!

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
I know just how you feel. Across the way from me (just outside my kitchen window) is a bright pink house with a bright green roof. :eek: Yuck!

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
It's funny you mentioned this because Gabe and I have been watching this one house go through some changes. lol

It started out this beautiful brown wooden exterior home. (I assume stained) (Very pretty home)

New people moved in and painted it this bright yellow (is there a brighter yellow than smiley yellow?) with even brighter blue shutters. The same people also created a berm that just looks like a dirt mound.

Anyway, it wouldn't be so bad but this is a very conservative area and it sticks out badly. I call it the showcase of homes. ;) It certainly grabs the spotlight.

Now when living in NY...I loved Park Avenue's colorful homes. The homes are older and many are historical. They just look lovely in bright colors and would look horrible muted or in earth tones.

·
27,948 Posts
Some nice people live in yellow houses.:D
My house is yellow (not bright, not baby poop hue,lol) with black shutters.:D

It could be worse Debbie. How about Zebra stripes or polka dots?

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka DixieBob
5,451 Posts
Funny you should mention polka dots, Darlene. A man in Atlanta recently painted his house green with pink polka dots to protest a zoning ordinance. Now, that's ugly! :eek:

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
I like subtly colored homes. Ours was a nice tan and I liked it, but when it was repainted-DH and DD picked white (BLAH) with Hunter green trim. I am not liking the white, the trim is a pretty color but with the white house it makes the green really stand out. I would have preferred a nice soft gray with burgandy trim. Oh well, DH and DD like it so I can live with it too.:)

·
Heather Bob
7,312 Posts
I love the soft yellows with white trim. I have a framed picture of a farm house that colour with a big porch and farm scene in the back and it is my dream home. But I must agree with you the bright yellow would be a bit much.

Where we used to live in the country, down the road was a big beautiful farm house. An artist couple moved in and painted all the trim AND roof pink and purple. The house was brick, thank heavens they didn't touch the brick!!!!!:eek:

·
TammyBob
6,981 Posts
I call the color of our house yellow but Steve says it's actually a cream .And it has hunter green shutters.
We didn't pick the colors out...his mom had the siding put on before she died and when we built onto the house we had to go with the same color,or pay a fortune and replace everything.
It's not a smiley face yellow..more like a really light, soft yellow,course Steve stills says it's cream....

Cream,yellow..same thing lol

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
I'm from the old school of houses are white with black trim and gray porches. So that's what I have.

My parents deviated from the norm in the late 60's and had siding put on their house that had mint green in the eaves (the rest was white) and they painted the trim the same green color. What a scandal that was for years!

·
Registered
5,500 Posts
I like certain colors on certain houses. Old victorians can get away with more color than say your average suburban tract house. Our house is a cream/buttery yellow with brick. I can't say I love yellow, but it is soft so I like it.

On a side note, I have seen a newer house built like a victorian. They painted it a greenish turquoise color with white trim. EEWWW! 2 houses down the same (almost exact) house is painted a softer blue color-almost sky blue, with white trim and it is sooo welcoming!

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
I dunno. some houses look great yellow, some do not. I'd like ours to be a lightish greay-blue with a darker grey blue trim. But for now it is a beige with brick red trim, yick. :yucky:

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
I'd like to apint my little house yellow. It's dark brown now. With a green roof what other choices do you have, besides whte?

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Subtle yellow, like a cream I can deal with- school bus yellow, no way. But you gotta give them credit for having the guts to do it :D

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It'a truning out to be a light buttercream color. That I can live with!:)

·
Registered
203 Posts
couponchic said:
I feel your pain. DH and I were driving through a neighborhood the other day and we saw a house that was painted fuschia. Yuck!!!
Ya must have been in my neighborhood........LMAO theres a horrible fushcia colored house a few doors down and its for sale:eek:

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Our neighborhood has gotten really boring...several people have re-sided and they all have gone with beige and barn red shutters or gray and hunter green shutters...our house is hunter with cream shutters...I'm not sure what I want to do with it some day:confused:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts