Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So another day, another transmission it seems. Ugh. Dh went on a little fishing trip yesterday and called me last night. He told me the car was having trouble shifting. Its the same thing that happened before we replaced the transmission last time...and the time before. But the last time we put a newer transmission in it. It shouldn't be going yet!! I told him last time that if it happened again we're getting another car. We put in more than double what the car cost us to purchase....I hate cars. Its a 97 saturn...anyone else have trouble with one? It seems the transmission is always broken.

Any recommendations on a (new to us) car thats reliable and has cheaper parts?

Thanks

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
I had a Saturn, and had regular transmission problems with it too.

Ceashels had a saturn - not sure about her transmission, but it rings a bell.

Otoh, my ex wife had a Toyota Corolla we bought used. We put THOUSANDS of miles on that thing. The only thing that ever went wrong was when the timing chain broke, and that was after we put like 40k miles on it.

So I heartily endorse any used small Toyotas.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I have a 2001 Toyota Echo and knock on wood, we have not had any problems with it so far. Great car. 38 mpg. Runs great. I love my car. DH is driving it to work now so I have to use his 2001 Ford Escape. SUV. Nothinng but problems all the time. Right now the engine light is on plus the air bag light is on. Looks like another trip to the garge.AAAUUUGGGHHH!!!!!!

·
Registered
493 Posts
We also have a Toyota Corolla, so far no problems. We've also in the past have had a Honda Accord - loved it! Never had a problem with it!

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
My neighbor had a saturn too, and went through 2 transmission in the time she owned it.

The best car I ever owned was a Chevy Beretta. Unfortunately, I don' think they are making them anymore! :)

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
It just so happens that yesterday we test drove a 97 Nissan Altima that DH's co-worker is selling. I checked on KBB and he's selling it for half of the KBB value and according to the reviews, alot of these cars routinely run strong for 200,000 miles or more with nothing more than routine maintenance and maybe replacing a distributor. We'll be purchasing this car from them in 1 month. :D

Check around and see if there's any good used Nissans or Toyotas for sale in your area.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I agree with small Toyotas. Only used of course, as they quickly lose value when you buy new. Ours is only a few years old, but we haven't had a problem yet, and it gets awesome gas mileage too!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts