Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son is currently undergoing interviews for the Fairmont Resort chain.  He's had 3 so far, the next interview is with the Head Chef.  We were looking for typical Canadian Cuisine last night and found this:

:Some of the original Indian recipes were roast polar bear, boiled reindeer, moose meat soup, sweet pickled beaver, squirrel fricassee, fried woodchuck. Stuffed whale breast, steamed muskrat legs, boiled porcupine, boiled caribou hoofs. Baked skunk, dried buffalo meat, baked salmon, roast or boiled corn, and acorn bread."

Can any of my Canadian friends tell me if any of this food is still cooked.  And what would you classify as typical Canadian food?

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob
5,738 Posts
Hee hee~ sounds yummy! (Just kidding!) I'm not Canadian, so I can't really answer, but I can tell you that the times I've ventured over the border and into Canada we never saw anything like this. It was all "normal" food like we eat here in the states-- hamburgers, chicken, ham, pizza, that sort of thing. So I guess if this stuff is still prepared, it must be done away from the main tourist areas. :)

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Well..... some people might eat bear, deer, moose, elk, caribou.

Otherwise at most restaurants you'll get chicken, ribs, steak, hamburger, salmon, pickeral (fish), chicken fingers. You'll also get lasagna, spaghetti, pizza, rice, fettucini, linguini, baked potato, french fries. Some may be cooked fancy, others not.

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Are you looking for French Canadian? I think that might be where you find some differences in cuisine. Anytime I've had food in Canada, it's been pretty much the same as in the states, but French Canadians have a different culture and unique cuisine.

·
Heather Bob
7,312 Posts
:D Not in my neck of the woods....only baked salmon, roast or boiled corn.

Each province has their own specialties but on the whole we have any type of cuisine available to us. Now down east (PEI, Nova Scotia...) fresh fish/lobster is a treat, British Columbia has beautiful wineries, certain areas are best for fresh fruits and vegetables, maple syrup in the spring, beef, pork.....

Here are some websites with lots of recipes:

http://search.yumyum.com/rsearch.htm?cat=browse&title=browse&keyword=Canadian

http://tropical-recipes.com/canada/index.php (the write up below the recipes is excellent!)

http://www.razzledazzlerecipes.com/canada/index.htm

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LOL, I'm thankful that all those critters are left to run free.

Thanks for those links, Heather. I'll show them to Kerry this afternoon on his break.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I worked for the Palliser in Calgary in the kitchen for a few years.

the main stuff is normal chicken, pastas, beef ( a LOT of beef). but also prairie oysters, sweetbreads, buffalo, and game.

not any of those other oddities.

oh and a lot of salmon and other fish.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
oh yeah I have to add that a lot of the native indians still do cook some of these for their ceremonies and feasts.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Moose, deer, elk, bison, those are still cooked but the rest are not "regular" fare although you could probably find one or two natives or Inuit who do.

French Canadian food is pretty much the same as anywhere else. There are certain foods like tourtiere and split pea soup that are still considered traditional but for the most part they are as main stream as the rest.

Maple sugar pie or maple sugar anything is traditional Canadian, Saskatoon Berry pie is unique as the berries seem to only grow around there.
Poutine (French fries with a special gravy and cheese curds), steamees (pronounces steemays...a steamed hot dog usually with coleslaw on it).

here is another link to check out

http://www.spruce.ca/food/Canadian_recipes.htm

Canada has a very diverse ethnic background so we tend to eat what the world eats.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
ugh poutine.....

and sucre la creme!!! mmmmmmm

buffalo is pretty popular out here. not bad.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts