Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Very good! And with a bit more time, you'll probably see an even greater increase in the inside temp. Windows transfer so much heat and cold.

Reactions: Mdav

·
Registered
398 Posts
WTG! Yep heavy drapes of anything will help too!

Reactions: Mdav

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
what a great idea! We still have one set of original windows that I shrink-wrap every year.... I bet a shower curtain would be wayyy cheaper than the shrink-wrap kit! I wonder if DH would go for this... on the one hand, he has to pay the electric bill (and it's huge)... on the other hand, he hates anything that feels like "being poor." (Ponder the irony...)

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have 2 big double windows downstairs I hung those cheap see through shower curtains under my curtains on them.They fit both windows perfect.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Did you hang them up? Cut them and tape them to the window? Cut and tape so there was a couple of inches between the window and the curtain?

We have big drafty windows. We've tried the bubble wrap method. We need something more than just that. This sounds like a nice, inexpensive solution that still allows us to see out.

Thanks.

·
Registered
199 Posts
On my big windows I just hung them used little nails on top of the window frame to match the holes in the top of the shower curtains.I also have blinds on these windows under the shower curtains I wanted to be able to still open blinds for sun light.

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
Dmom actually cut and resewed them into curtains for her Florida rm. It is nothing but windows and a dollar store shower curtain worked perfect. Drapes would have been a fortune. And yes they do insulate to some degree.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I could see taping it like you'd tape plastic over your windows. Cut a small slit for the blind pulls and one for the rod. If you use painters' tape there is less residue to worry about afterwards.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts