Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't believe it. We fed the goats at 9am and when we got done I checked the temp on the porch and it was 95 degrees already! Yesterday it was over 100 and 89 in the house. Thank goodness we have some fans to circulate the air. Air conditioner went out Friday so its not been fun. Last night was horrible trying to sleep. The heat just adds to the worries for DH since he's not suppose to get over-heated with the MS. We don't need another hospital stay.

Food stamps came in today so hopefully we'll spend some time in the a/c doing grocery shopping. I've got my list ready and hope I find some bargins. I can't believe I'm saying this but I miss the cold! :snowing:

Debbie in Missouri

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
I'm in Missouri, too, and yesterday we had 99 actual degrees for a high, and 106 heat index. But that's July in MO!

More importantly, here's hoping your AC gets fixed, for your husband's sake.

Reactions: cmdarlin

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
We are melting here in south central Kansas too!!!! I am NOT a summer person at all!!!! You never once heard me complaining about winter.....nope, I even loved the northern Iowa bitter cold winters......
Our forcast is dreadful as far as I am concernced.......highs in the 90s and 100s, lows in the 70s. My garden is all over as far as I'm concerned, cause there is NO WAY I am going out in it......did I mention the chigger bites I got last time I was out weeding? Oh yea, about 50 or so around my waist and other nearby "areas"..........summer can just pass me by while I sit in my A/C house....we keep it at 78. Not terribly cool, but certainly bearable.

WINTER......COME QUICKLY!!

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
No AC here, and last night was the first night I could hardly sleep it was so hot!! I had the ceiling fan on, all the windows opened, and still just laid there and sweltered! My ds sometimes sleeps in the basement on the couch, MUCH cooler down there, he's got the right idea!

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
I don't do well in the heat and the cold brings on the breathing problems a lot faster. I would be happy with mid 70's but thats just wishful thinking.........
Fern

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
it was 100 here in nj yesterday same predicated for today and tommorrow i feel sorry for my dh as he has to work outside in this heat my dogs dont even want to go out hope it cools down for all of us

·
Registered
956 Posts
Here in VA it's been the same way - high 90's heat indexes near or over 100. I'm broiling. I hate hot weather with a passion, and will be so glad when the weather finally turns cooler.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I'll be the weird one and say bring it on ~ the hotter the better :) I always feel better in the hot weather. I go to the dog park every day and I don't wear shorts there and I don't even break a sweat, LOL.

On the other hand, if the temps get much below 50º, I don't even go out. We don't get cold weather here much before January so I just hibernate for Jan/Feb/into Mar and then it starts warming up again.

I'm sure we'll be moving further south when DH retires for good!

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
We lived without a/c for about 15 years after we were married and then just got a window unit for the bedroom and my dad gave us a bigger one the last 3 years we lived in the house. Now we have central a/c and heat.

One of the things we did was to take an old sheet or towel and dampen it and hang it in front of the fans at night for some condensation.

If my a/c went out I would go and get a window unit that would at least keep the bedroom cool. I know you don't have much money but sometimes you can pick them up for about a 100 bucks. When ours went out in the heat over Memorial Day weekend right after we moved here my dad had one from a remodel he did. It saved us for a few days til the new one could be installed.

I don't like the heat either, I'd send hugs but it's too hot! :) :sun:

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
our ac went out a week ago, i couldn't stand it and finally dh called to get it fixed. i hate the heat!

hoping yours gets fixed soon or at least it cools down some

·
Registered
590 Posts
I hate the heat but hate the humidity even worse and when it is a combination of both....I am just a wee, little bit prone to some minor melt downs...now, I do mean minor...everyone is my house including the cat still possess all the limbs that God put on them :)...I love the winter/fall time until it gets to be about twenty below then I am done for.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, we made it thru the day though it did get up to 105 according to the thermometer. Horrible in the house. We went and did our grocery shopping, very slowly I might as so we could stay in the air conditioning. Lord help us if it gets warm again like this tomorrow.

Debbie in Missouri

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
Oh Debbie, I hear you! I HATE humidity! I can handle the heat if the humidity is low, but when it is high, don't come near me! I will take your head off! :yikes:

Hope you get some relief soon. :hugz:

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
This heat is killing me! It's going to be in the 90's all week and this past Friday we actually had a downpour with SLEET! Yikes.... I can feel the heat already and it's only 7:50am :(

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Not too bad here. Of course, you could follow my 3 yr old daughters example and just run around naked all day. :lol:

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Yesterday was 69 here all day. In July. Weird. I hate the hot, I hate the cold. I am never happy. Unless it is 75 out. :)

Hope you get some relief in weather soon, that is no fun. Is there a bookstore or library near you, to kill time, walk around a mall, or store, local free museum? Good luck

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Well, we made it thru the day though it did get up to 105 according to the thermometer. Horrible in the house. We went and did our grocery shopping, very slowly I might as so we could stay in the air conditioning. Lord help us if it gets warm again like this tomorrow.

Debbie in Missouri

I would try freecycle and craigslist for your area you may find a window unit for free, it would probably be an older one that would use more energy but it would be some ac! good luck do what you can to stay cooler! I am in texas and it was 99 actual heat index like 110 yesterday its no wonder my power bill is so high!

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Normally I am someone who freezes in A/C and loves the heat.... But with these dang hot flashes, well it ain't pretty! I feel like the wicked witch "I'm melting!" LOL

1 - 20 of 23 Posts