Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We were almost out of oil, so I just had to pay $479.85 for the minimum delivery (150 gallons) - and we are moving in two weeks!
So frustrating!

Do you think I can ask the landlord/ new tenants to reimburse me for the oil left in the tank? Or would they think I'm nuts?

I may decide it's reason enough not to freeze myself every night at 62 degrees but I don't want us to get used to the warmth either!

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
Of course you can ask. You SHOULD ask.

But they may decline.

Reactions: gmarie

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
I imagine you well can...when we bought our house, part of the price was an estimate on the oil left sitting in the tank....if it's a utility YOURE responsible for as a renter, your landlord should reimburse you, then have the next tenant reimburse them, as you can't take it with you! Good luck w the move.

Reactions: gmarie

·
Registered
13 Posts
Helpful hint for people in this situation - you can use Diesel gas in your oil tank. Its the same stuff, but they add red coloring to the home oil to mark it as not having had road tax paid on it. Also, its fine to mix the two. So next time, put in just enough to get you through from your handy (clean!) gas can! (This info came from a mechanic who works on oil tanks. He said in the shop, they always use diesel.)

·
Registered
419 Posts
I know this thread is almost a year old but for future reference, when you say heating oil, do you mean oil, propane or kerosene? Those are three very different things. One company would provide all three and it was in our contract to leave a full tank, but when we contacted the company, they reimbursed us for any unused stuff in the tanks and then they'd top it off and bill a full tank to the next occupants.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.