Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I have all of the group challenges organized now. They are stickied for the upcoming year for those that want to participate in a group. Now they're easy to find and join. Personal challenges need to be placed into blogs and not on the forums. The forums are for group challenges. New personal challenges can be copied and pasted into a blog or I can move it for you.

If you have a new group challenge you start, please let me know so I can sticky it.

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Thanks Sara. I like that all the challenges are together (the group ones). I love reading the challenges which will be so much easier to find now.

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
Thank you very much Sara.

I love having them stickied. Would you prefer we stop posting updates in the individual challenge threads and switch it to the blogs?

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Thank you very much Sara. It will be easier to find them.

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you already started one, then no. But any new individual/personal challenges should be placed in our FV blogs. If they're posted, they'll be moved to the blogs. The challenge forum posts that aren't stickied can be for weekly or monthly threads. Does that make sense? Like for years we had frugal challenge the week of or the month of:

It was still group but broken down for people that wanted to stay on track in smaller increments of time.

The forums have a major update slated in 2009. This should provide better integration of the social groups and the blogs. So they don't seem like the red headed stepchild of the forums. Excuse the term for those that are possibly offended.

I love the challenges and don't want to seem like I'm nitpicking, but I want everyone to understand that the big picture is 100's and potentially thousands of personal and individual challenges and how confusing that is for newcomers and well anyone. Not to mention, many people come here for frugality and that's one of the least active forums at the moment.

I've mentioned all of this before and always get the response that they get more views on the forums. Well if it's your (not you specifically but anyone) own personal accountability and it's all about you (for lack of a better way of saying it) then it's blogging and not a community forum post/thread. The blogs don't get the eyeballs that the forums do because everyone is blogging in the forum. Some without realizing it. Some that do.

To clarify, if you've ever been on other forums that don't have blogs, they have individual journals on the forums. That just gets out of control with literally hundreds of people having their own section. That's why there are blogs and social groups here. So you have a place that's individually "yours"

I'll also add, OK let's say one person starts a frugal challenge and says if you'd like to join me, you can. Then 10 others do the same in their own threads. There's 11 frugal challenge threads and the main frugal group challenge thread and while it's awesome we're all doing challenges, imagine how the person who has one person join their challenge feels when comparing themself to the person that has 50 people participating to theirs. Especially, if the person with only one person sharing started theirs first. Oy. Ahhh yes, these are the e-mails and pm's I receive. So please, to decrease animosity, let's try to get back to group challenges in the challenge forum. And then breaking them down into weeks and months if desired. And blogging in the blogs and creating groups if you ever want to run your own anything.

We'll keep existing personal accountability threads as they are. But in the future, how it's always been done is new challenges start each year. They're stickied and then they're often splintered off into weeks and months. If a challenge wasn't stickied and started in the new year, then new group challenges are posted in the forum and stickied later when requested.

Phew..hopefully I made sense. I know many won't agree but you'll have to understand things from an organizational point of view. Community collaboration and accessing information are part of my key objectives.

*edited to add* Hopefully everyone understands that it's not as if anyone has done anything wrong. It wasn't an issue when there were only a few. It's becoming an issue, so before it gets out of control, we'll organize it.

Or in a few months, if it doesn't seem to be working out and we'll try something else that might. ;)

·
Registered
679 Posts
understand and agree with you sara :)
i have categories set up in my blog to write (keep myself accountable) about my own personal challenges and plan to join in discussion on stickied (team) challenges that other fv'ers are doing. those i will either favorite or subscribe to so i will be reminded i signed up

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
Thank you, Sara for sticking the challenges at the top. It makes it easier to access these. Also, I whole-heartedly understand your reasoning for not wanting individual challenges in the challenge forum. You, as always, are doing a wonderful job keeping the forums running smoothly!

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Thanks Sara!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Ok to be honest, I really don't understand, But I guess thats because I am fairly new here..I will go back and read later but I have to get off the computer ASAP...strong storms moving in NOW..

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
Thanks for the clarification Sara. I'm going to go play around with the FV blogs a bit more so I get used to them. I think it's one of those often forgotten about features of the Village. I'll switch over to it!

Thanks again for all you do to make the site fun and manageable.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Thanks for the clarification. I've been aware for awhile that my thread was becoing a blog, but wasn't sure what to do with it. I'll move to the blog page.
Btw- The new format is great!

·
Registered
223 Posts
I am a bit confused

How do we see the blogs?

I see the top 10 or latest when you sign in again... but how do we see them all?

I like the individual challenges for those of us who do not post regularly but do lurk... they give us daily inspiration... and as you mentioned... are the most read, watched and commented on.... and give daily inspiration to us.... to send that $3.00 we have left to a bill....

Just confused....
Please advise

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
How do we see the blogs?

I see the top 10 or latest when you sign in again... but how do we see them all?

I like the individual challenges for those of us who do not post regularly but do lurk... they give us daily inspiration... and as you mentioned... are the most read, watched and commented on.... and give daily inspiration to us.... to send that $3.00 we have left to a bill....

Just confused....
Please advise
You can click on Blogs (between Invite Friends and Members List) and there'll be a drop-down menu. From that menu, select Blog List and that should give you a list of blogs.

Thank you so much for the sticky, Sara! I figure I need to start the blog up and debated doing this blog for FV and one of my own. I loooooooove blogging! :D

·
Registered
201 Posts
I did go back and re-read the thread and I now understand. I didn't know about the blog area..I see there is still alot I need to learn about FV.

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How do we see the blogs?

Just confused....
Please advise
There will still be daily challenges going on, so you aren't losing anything. The change is in where the personal/individual (not community group) challenges will be requested to post some of them. The challenges have been organized so they can be easily found in the frugal village challenge forum. So I'm not sure how that can be worse than how they were... scattered here and there. The link to the blogs is located on the top blue menu bar, but here's a link:
http://www.frugalvillage.com/forums/blog.php

One random blog is featured every half hour, too. We'll also work on improving the integration of the blogs and social groups in the upcoming year. But as it is now, they're a click away which is how far they were on the forums, too.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Waaaah!!!! I don't wanna learn something else just yet. Ok now I'm done and over it.

That said I do have a couple of clarification questions. If I'm reading this correctly then:

1)starting a January 2009 grocery thread, or a $25 a week grocery thread, or a read 4 new books this month challenge is ok on the forums. Yes?

2)On the other hand therootednomad's saving for a new garage challenge would be blog material. Yes?

3)What about things in the other forum areas that aren't really challenges. The best example that comes to mind is the Long term kitchen remodel thread of mine. That is definately bloggy but really seems to fit in the DIY forum, where it can be refrenced pretty easily by anyone thinking of diving into a kitchen remodel even if I leave the forums (Canadian gardner has been gone a long time and I love reading her old posts). I do get that since it's already started it's ok. The question for clarification is that this is just currently for challenges, yes?

I love that you are always thinking bigger and longer term for the village.
Oh and I LOVE sticky threads!!!!

TIA Sara

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Waaaah!!!! I don't wanna learn something else just yet. Ok now I'm done and over it.

That said I do have a couple of clarification questions. If I'm reading this correctly then:

1)starting a January 2009 grocery thread, or a $25 a week grocery thread, or a read 4 new books this month challenge is ok on the forums. Yes?

2)On the other hand therootednomad's saving for a new garage challenge would be blog material. Yes?

3)What about things in the other forum areas that aren't really challenges. The best example that comes to mind is the Long term kitchen remodel thread of mine. That is definately bloggy but really seems to fit in the DIY forum, where it can be refrenced pretty easily by anyone thinking of diving into a kitchen remodel even if I leave the forums (Canadian gardner has been gone a long time and I love reading her old posts). I do get that since it's already started it's ok. The question for clarification is that this is just currently for challenges, yes?

I love that you are always thinking bigger and longer term for the village.
Oh and I LOVE sticky threads!!!!

TIA Sara
Example:

Sara's frugal challenge = not on forums. On blog. Any ongoing, updated frequently type of individual, personal threads, post to the FV blogs. The biggest concern is the challenges, but this goes for any ongoing thread. Unless it's group related.

If there is a challenge for everyone that isn't already listed, post it to the forums and for now they're stickied. They may become sub forums at this point because there's already too many stickies.

But yes, any started before Dec. 27th can stay. Any posted after that will either be moved to the blogs or merged with it's matching group challenge.

The exception to this is the organization challenge forum. Amy and others have always done an excellent job with that section. If other challenges become as detailed, they will have their own forum. For now, I moved and stickied some of the other organization challenges just to get them all in one place so I could see what we have.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts