Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And boy am I nervous, I surely DO NOT have a green thumb but with the advice of Tiff, I decided to take a chance and start a small garden.

What I did was I went to Home Depot and purchased already growing plants and here's what I got:

Basil
Cilantro
Cherry Tomatoes (the stick says Container Tomatoes)
Cubanel Peppers

I am a little nervous, I replanted everything into large pots and the basil and cilantro I put into a over the railing type container, they each have tons of room to grow.

I am nervous because I have never done this, so please send in any tips and stuff, also good thoughts would be appreciated, I so want my small garden to grow.

Pictures coming later :)

·
27,948 Posts
Great Tracy. Container grown plants dry out faster than those growing in the ground so you'll need to keep an eye on them and water when necessary.
You can do this! Can't wait for pics & hearing about your success.:tom:

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Darlene! I am excited to be able to pick from my mini garden, lol :)

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
great way to start!!! you;ll love it!! keep us posted!!!

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I bought a couple of basil plants from home depot that were about two inches tall starting out. I replanted them outside and now those puppies are about a foot and a half tall! They smell great and have cute leaves. I've never grown cilantro, but I'm curious as to how it'll do so keep us posted. Would love to see some pictures. I have 36 tomato plants going right now. I don't even like to eat tomatoes but DH does. Make sure that one is planted deep, up to the first set of leaves or even a little bit higher. Have fun!

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Make sure that one is planted deep, up to the first set of leaves or even a little bit higher. Have fun!
Yeah I read the stick in the tomatoe plant, said plant 80% of the plant, which I did, looks kinda funny but as long as it grows I will be happy and I LOVE tomatoes!

·
27,948 Posts

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Great way to start. I tell ya, I have killed my fair share of plants but I got the hang of it.You kind of learn as you go.

I planted chives and they just grew like crazy with no care and when I trimmed them it made my entire garden smell wonderful.

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
ANd yuo can dry your herbs as well as freeze them for later as well once you begin picking. :)

·
Registered
474 Posts
Starting small is great for your first garden! There's nothing like fresh basil in your recipes. I even put it in my grilled cheese sandwich! yum
For the tomatoes, and this sounds weird. put a large nail or screw in the soil near the plant. This tip was given to me when I first grew tomatoes, and it works. It is to keep bugs out of your tomatoes. I've never had any bugs in mine!

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
4,575 Posts
For the tomatoes, and this sounds weird. put a large nail or screw in the soil near the plant. This tip was given to me when I first grew tomatoes, and it works. It is to keep bugs out of your tomatoes. I've never had any bugs in mine!

Good luck!
Never heard of this one. I'll have to give it a try.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Never heard of this one. I'll have to give it a try.

Yeah, I'm going to try this one too. I just planted our first garden this year too in containers. It is pretty windy outside today and either the wind broke off my baby cucumber plant or our cat jumped into the containter and did it. I went back to the local greenhouse and bought another one (only .40) and she said to put a small can into the dirt (cut out both ends) surrounding these fragile plants so they won't be so susceptible to breakage.

Have fun and hope you enjoy your garden!

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
:hug2: Your garden will do just fine hon! Can't wait to see some picures..Not sure about anyone else but when I'm feeling depressed (when it's garden season) I rub my fingers on a Basil Leaf or Tomatoe leaf and the smell pulls me right out of my mood..actually I think I'm gonna take my own advice and head to my garden right now and smell some basil...LOL..

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hooray for vegetables

Tracy:

Nice going. Don't be shy about planting food. How better to be frugal than to grow your own food. Keep it watered, and it will keep you fed.

Tomatoes like to go deep with their roots, so you'll have to keep them watered well. If you have a spot where you can plant in the soil, they will do much better and not dry out as quickly.

If you have some open ground, try squash. Squash grows fast and produces lots of food. Many of the root crops are also easy to grow. I am fond of greens, and nothing keep you fed like a plot of Swiss chard.

Clair

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks everyone for all the input, I just went and checked them and the soil is moist :) I am going to the screw thing, I dont want any bugs.

The basil and cilantro smells sooooo good already.

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Reactions: frugalfriend

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Your garden looks great. I always found watering the plants in the early morning was best. They don't get burned by the sun. Pretty soon your will be "picking" from the plants!!

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Way to go Tracy.
I agree that you need to keep the pots watered more than if the plants were in the ground.

I have chives, basil and thyme growing in a container. So far, so good. I also have a rosemary plant growing in the ground and it is doing very well.

Keep up the good work.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Your garden looks great. I bet you feel good about growing some food.
I don't know alot about container gardening, but you might be able to add a little bit of mulch in your pots to help keep the moisture in, but check with some of our experts here to see if this will work before you try it.
Enjoy the fruits of your labor.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts