Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So MSN had a blurb the other day about how "average" people spent $100+ on fathers day and even more on mother's day... there have been "what to buy Dad" articles for weeks now... so I thought it would be interesting to get "ground truth" on what y'all actually do.

We never do much buying in my family (including my family of origin.) Some years, when I'm feeling mushy, Hubs might get breakfast in bed delivered by the munchkins. They might make a card at school or something, but that's usually it.

I will admit, this year he sort-of got a new keurig, but it went like this-- his old one broke weeks ago... while we were out at Target (also weeks ago) he put a new one in the cart. I grimaced and said, "Happy Father's Day." He replied, "I'm ok with that."

So it's not like we went out and bought him something specifically for the day...

Likewise, for Mother's Day, I usually get a note from the girls, maybe some flowers from the yard.

Hubs calls his parents (who live many states away) on Mothers' and Fathers' Days, and I either call, text, or visit (my family is 15 minutes away).

So, that's is "normal" in my world. Tell me about yours?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Honestly, not much. We haven't had a lot of money for gifts, so we haven't done much. DH wanted pics of the kids, but I didn't have time with us moving. And he's upset about that but he won't say it. My oldest is taking him out to eat, while he's gone the girls and I are going to go get a small gift for him and then later his dad is coming over and they are going out somewhere. I already got a gift for my dad, I need to go give it to him at some point.

·
Registered
9,301 Posts
I can see spending $100+ on Mother's day, as that typically involves the family taking mom our for brunch or something and that adds up fast. I can't recall doing much for Dad when we were growing up.

These days it's pretty much ignored. Stepkids don't call, our parents have passed on.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Was it/is it Father's Day in the USA today - 15 June - as it is here in the UK? That would be strange, as I'm pretty sure our "Mother's Day" is a different date here from when it is with you.

"Fathers' Day" is a relatively new commercial phenomenon, here in GB: the card- and gift-shops have tried to market it, but I don't think it has really caught on.

Where does the apostrophe go? Father - apostrophe - s? Fathers-apostrophe? No apostrophe because we don't know where to put it?

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
We are grilling brats having chips and baked beans.

Dessert will be build your own ice cream sundaes.

We do no do cards but my mom comes and brings a father's day card for Hubby( my mother's day card some times has cash in it father's day cards too maybe)

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
He is a couple states away so a card with cash ( $25 to $50) depending on how good a financial year I have had and a phone call wishing him a happy day. My sis takes him out to eat after church.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Updated:

DH's birthday was last weekend but we did DD1's grad party that weekend. We gave DH a gift, but no party. DD2 was sad about that. So, we baked him cupcakes today, and I bought him his favorite ice cream to go with that, as well as a $10 google play card. He's happy :) And, all of that was within the grocery budget, so yay :D

·
Registered
432 Posts
Ours varies year to year....this year, DH got a cordless string trimmer for Father's Day, and I got a homemade card from DD and a small azalea for Mother's Day. His cost 10x as much as mine. Other years, he gets something small, and I get something bigger...it totally depends on what we need at the time. Those sorts of days just aren't a big deal at our house. We don't do anything for extended family.

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
We did it early as Ds had to return from leave before fathers Day. The kids got him choc. covered
Espresso beans and a smaller tool set. I got 6 dingdongs from Big Lot from the dogs and a dog card I smeared peanut butter on as a gag. (Our Boxmas loves peanut butter).
I just made hot dogs. Simple compared to previous years. He was happy.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
My Dad gets a homemade hungarian dish that only I know how to make..My dad is in North Dakota right now so I called him..will make his dish when he comes home to visit.

My boys bought dh a electric smoker,stand,cold smoker attachment,cookbook.

I bought dh a 27 inch computer monitor.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
My father passed away 6 years ago. DH's dad has been gone for about 13 years. DH and I would always call our dads and moms. We used to send cards but they both said calls were all they needed. Our kids always call. Our married daughter usually sends cards for birthdays.

We always give a day of work for the different days. Whatever project I want to get done and need help with, everybody works on for Mother's Day. Same for Father's Day and birthdays. We rarely spend any money because we don't have extra to spend.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
When my dad was alive I always made him dinner and a cake and got him a nice gift he could afford but wouldnt spend on himself. Hubby got gifts from all the kids (they are all grown) and we had a nice day at my oldest sons house enjoying the pool and had a barbque. Hubby and I have a joke that I dont buy him a gift cause hes not my father and he doesnt buy me a gift cause im not his mother. I do always end up getting him something but invariably its something for the house This year I got him a grill gazebo last year a log spilter things we would end up buying anyway

·
Super Moderator
1,958 Posts
Both DH and I lost our dads many years ago. DH has 4 grown kids (my stepkids), they do nothing for Father's Day for him. He would be happy with a phone call.

I never had a really great relationship with my dad, but I would have felt awful if I let his birthday or FD go by without at least a phone call.

When they were little and we had visitation (divorce) we would help them make FD cards for their grandfather. So we did try to " bend the twig", guess it just didn't take.

He just came home from the hospital yesterday so we were both happy about that. Unexpected admission in the middle of moving, low blood counts, but mostly cleared up now. We finally got to sleep in our new condo.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
My Dad gets a homemade hungarian dish that only I know how to make..My dad is in North Dakota right now so I called him..will make his dish when he comes home to visit.

My boys bought dh a electric smoker,stand,cold smoker attachment,cookbook.

I bought dh a 27 inch computer monitor.

Should of mentioned that my dh's dad passed away when he was 17 yrs old...I came into the family a year after his dad's passing..My dh does not talk about his dad to me even though we have been together for 29 yrs..I think its just to painful for him~I think dh didn't get to enjoy his years with his dad because his dad was 40 yrs old when dh was born..dh was a uh oh baby..his siblings are 13 to 16 yrs older then him..So thats why I make it a special day for him..

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
My father died 20 years ago. FIL is in a nursing home. We called and sent a card to FIL. My dad we got a gift, card, called him and sometimes had him over for dinner when he was alive. Saw no reason to get FIL a gift when you live in a nursing home. We got my step-dad a card and called him. The cat got dh a card via grandma who saw it and thought that dh should have it so she sent to our house to sign for dh.

A2M

·
8,714 Posts
~In our immediate house? Nothing. I refuse to teach my kids forced acknowledgement, non-holidays.
But I grew up in a house/church/school "system" that did observe and reinforce and create expectations. I know my mom expects a call or visit on Mother's Day, and although she'd never get in a huff if I didn't call, I do think she'd be disappointed and a little hurt if I let it pass unobserved. I usually call her every Sunday anyway so it's not out of my way anyway. When we lived close we would visit and go in on a take-away meal for the whole family, something. My mom just loves to have us all together and that's present enough.
Now my dad was always cool with a homemade card and a dessert he liked. This year I sent a card and told him I owed him a pie. Neither of us care for telephones so I didn't call and make it awkward. Then you always have the feeling that not calling is also awkward. Eh. :rollsmile
So yeah, grand total of $2 spent on cards and postage for our dads. Someone else is spending $400 on their dad to make up for us in the averages, I guess.~

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
This year we got hubby some good quality BBQ supplies from a higher end store
It'll likely last two to three times longer than the cheaper quality stuff, so I'm okay with my purchase. Also got him a gift card to eat out at his favourite restaurant in a couple weeks....will be "all you can eat ribs". Plus got him a "free" $50 gift card for a Christian bookstore for collecting a certain amount of money for a fundraiser
If you include the eating out, we probably spent over $150 out of pocket. I'm okay with that as we almost never eat out!!

·
Registered
285 Posts
We are grilling brats )
Excuse me while I recover from the shock of the different meanings of "English" in the USA.

You wrote that you are "grilling brats". In England, a "brat" is a badly-behaved young child. I had visions of cannibalism.

Reactions: Brat

·
8,714 Posts
Excuse me while I recover from the shock of the different meanings of "English" in the USA.

You wrote that you are "grilling brats". In England, a "brat" is a badly-behaved young child. I had visions of cannibalism.
~It means that here too. Brat is also short for bratwurst so the grilling part gives the context for which brat is meant. I think a bratwurst would be considered a banger to you. ~

1 - 20 of 22 Posts