Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some pretty old appliances in my home. My oldest tv is more than 12 years old and works great. My gas range is a Kenmore and over 25 years old. Just learned my water heater is from the 70's. No idea how old my furnace is. I once had a microwave that died at 12 years old. It was so old I couldn't even cook popcorn in it because the wattage was too low.

I've heard a lot of complaining about newer appliances breaking down sooner than owners think they should. My example would be toasters and coffeemakers. I haven't had a good one in years and they don't last very long if you use them often.

What about you? Have any old and good-working appliances that you would truly hate to replace?

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Have TV's that are 12+ years old. Really am not looking forward to when they will need replacing. TV's are expensive. I have to agree with you on the toasters and coffeemakers. It seems you really need to spend a lot more on them to get something worth while. Same with telephones. I do have a calculator that is over 20 years old and just replaced a 20 year old microwave which was working fine but the inside was questionable. I deliberatly spent more on the microwave to hopefully have one that will last just as long. Oh yea, my electric can opener is 20 years old also.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I bought a Maytag washer and dryer in 1985, my first appliances after college. I had the washer until about two years ago, which I replaced with a Kenmore, because Maytag isn't making them like they used to, I've been told.

We have one of the old large microwaves from 1986. We had it repaired once when lightning got it. It has a metal cover that was the wood grain look. I took it off and painted it a stainless steel color.

My Kirby vacuum cleaner is about a 1986 model and is going strong. Our refrigerator is a 1993 model.

·
Registered
82 Posts
A few weeks ago my 19 year old washer died. This weekend the dryer went kaput....I think it died of a broken heart, it missed it's sister the washer.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Our rental house had a washer that was made in 1968. It was a Maytag and since we live in the home of Maytag it was well maintained. My folks has a freezer that apparently 'on its last legs' in 1980. They got it from a friend that said was ready to die. They still have it. The only problem with it is that the door is a little off kilter so you have to make sure you close it right and lock it.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Yup a tv that is 15 +, a washing machine that is 20+ it is leaking now in 2 spots, I will try and have it fixed for I know as soon as I get a new one it will be every 5 years replacing it. There is also a freezer in the basement that it is probaly around 17 years too. Yup once these are gone I believe so will the longevaty too.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
What about you? Have any old and good-working appliances that you would truly hate to replace?
Yes. Our Kenmore Microwave that was almost 12 years old. Sturdy, very reliable and did the job.
The new one's are plastic, loud, far too many features I won't use and you definitely have to read the manual to use them. Miss my old one so much. :(

·
Registered
319 Posts
I might win for oldest furnace. It's from 1951, so 57 years old. My stove is a 1963 Westinghouse (and it is awesome!). Up until last year, our washer and dryer set was from the 70s. We just replaced them.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I had a microwave that was 14 years old and huge!! I donated it when I moved a few months ago. I did not think it could stand to be in storage without getting broken.

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
Let's see...my dryer lasted 9 yrs. My dishwasher only lasted 7; I think it was.

I think my oldest appliance is a double toaster, which is ~15 yrs old. It's a cheapie too (Rival, I think).

Oh wait, I also have a crockpot from the 1970's or 1980's, but I've only had it for about 10 yrs (Dave's aunt bought it for my fil, who didn't want it, and he gave it to me).

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
I have an old red hair dryer that my father bought me used from a yard sale when I was 15, so that would make it at least 26 years old. It had a recall on it but I've never had any trouble, still going strong.

Our stove and wall oven are from when they built the house in 1950, still alive but one burner does not work. So was the furnace but it died about 2 years back.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Lets see we have a microwave thats 18 years old or older.
We just replaced the 28 yr old dishwasher because of the bottom rack was all rusted and they wanted over $100.00 for a new rack.
The tv in the bedroom is 20 years old.

The appliances they sale today are cheaply made.
We now live in a throw away society.
There is no pride in workman ship anymore.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I don't really consider my TV an appliance. Oldest is over 6 years, youngest is 3 months or so.

All the large appliances in this house were here when we bought it. The furnace and dw are original (c 1978). The water heater is 5 years old. The washer and dryer are probably close to 20 yrs. Stove is 10 years or so. Vacuum is about 3 years old. Carpet cleaner is 1 year old, had to replace it when a hose broke .. it was about 5 years old.

All the small appliances are between 1-5 years old. If we use them a lot, they last about a year, sometimes 2.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I have a dryer that's about 16 years old, but I line dry so it doesn't get tons of use. My fridge is almost 19, the furnace is 19, stove/oven is 16. My kitchenaid is about 15!! I'm impressed with the water heater above - we're on #3 in 19 years :(

My revereware pots and pans are 23 years old :)

·
Registered
556 Posts
our oldest stuff is probbably the small tv in here (dunno what yr but its probbably over 20), washer and dryer from maybe the 80's or they might be older, not really for sure.

·
Registered
131 Posts
my dishwasher is from 1987 my range from 1983. Fridge is only about 10years old. my freezer is the baby at 6 or so.:)

·
Registered
841 Posts
My Coleman furnace is 32 years old, my freezer is 23 years old and my fridge is 25 years old. My washer and dryer were used when we got them. I know the dryer is very old as it only has a 30 minute timer....the washer is newer, maybe 5 years old. We had a water heater replaced last year as it started to leak, it also was 32 years old, and the guy that replaced it was shocked that it had lasted so long. I know he thought I was not telling the truth over the age of it, and then he seen the writing on it and knew I told him the truth. It was new when my husband and I moved in and had never been replaced! The old things really last, the new ones seem to fall apart in just a couple years. The guy that replaced our water heater told me, "this new one won't last like that!" DUH, I know that. Coffee makers really die fast, if you want one that will last get a BUNN. Mine is about 10 years old and works like new, it has been a great one.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts