Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going though our pantry looking for food for the foodbank. I found in the way back some cans of beans that had expired. One in 06:yucky:. It made 3 moves. I really need to start watching that stuff better.

Iam pretty good about food in fridge now I just need to watch the pantry.

·
Banned
1,472 Posts
I just did the same thing but only had 1 thing to toss (baby food--that my dd out grew). It's great shopping from your stockpile for the food bank.

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
I've done that maybe twice.... it's true thought, we often forget about the stuff in the back, thus expiring.

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
I try to purge my cabinets once a year to get rid of outdated items. I found a few things that I missed the year before hiding in th very back so I had a couple of cans that were dated '06 and '05.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
My MIL brought us down several different cans of canned foods-corn, beans, peas, p.butter, baked beans, etc.

Every stinkin' one of 'um was expired!!!
Grrrr, she has a bad habit of not wanting to throw things away, so she give them to someone else instead.
Now, does that make any sense to you???

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I had to throw away some cake and pancake mixes. I just can't buy them on sale anymore because chances are I won't use them quickly enough. Probably just as well since white flour isn't good for us anyway.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I just did this the other day while going thru my stuff. My problem is I have such limited space to stockpile things have to be stacked one on another, so it's a constant job of moving things around to use the old first.

Anyway, after I finished culling a few things, which made me sick to think of the waste, I got a sharpie marker and clearly marked on the front label, back of label , and top of can the expiration date. Hopefully that will help me some!

·
Registered
660 Posts
I have a very small pantry for stockpiling (a book case is what our pantry is) and it doesn't take us long to go through it. But yet still I will find odd things in there (lima beans? who bought lima beans??) that are expired!!

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
Not that I'm telling you to eat an expired can (because I'm not!), but DH took a food safety course at his work and found out that canned food usually has an expiry of 10 to 12 years!!! The reason they don't put that on cans and such is because people would be grossed out! It goes to show that lots of additives and preservatives are added to our food!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts