Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you all do with old magazines? My mom and I have an exchange, but once I'm done with hers, I just recycle them. Dh, otoh, feels it is necessary to keep certain mags (Field & Stream and Car & Driver). I don't understand his need to hang onto these when he never looks at them again! I don't dare just get rid of his stash...what would you do - they're beginning to take over!:toothy:

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
put the old ones in a box in the garage. just keep a few recent ones in for reading.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Two things: I take some to the nursing home. They don't want a lot but can always use a few. I let them pick first.
Then I donate the rest to our library magazine sale. Most libraries have at least one a year.
My dd's mags, she and her friends take to school, their lit teacher always used them for projects.
I save all my sons Click magazines. When he is tired of them I will resell on ebay. I can't believe what they bring!

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
Wow I can't believe that you can resell magazines on Ebay. That's great. My dd is forever using mine for some art/craft project. I hang on to the ones that look most promising for her projects - have animals, etc. The others I just toss. I was holding on to a bunch but have been merciless lately with the tossing.

pat

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
DH's mags we save. He gets Mother Earth News, Countryside and Farm Show. Those are just a wealth of information and great resources about homesteading and how to make things yourself. Plus at $18 a year for 6 issues, I had best not see them in the trash after he reads them.

As for my magazines, I keep Taste of Home. But as for the others like Woman's Day and the like, I keep them for a year, at the end of the year, I go through them all, cut out the recipies and projects I'd like to try, I'll keep some articles I think are worth saving, then the rest of it goes to the recycling shed at the dump.

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
I take them to my dentist and my dentist shares some with me.:)

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
If I purchase any, I read them and then pass them on to friends. The only ones I keep are a few quilting ones if they have a pattern I really want to do. Most magazines now though I get from the library.

As to dh's, you could probably sneak out a few and he wouldn't even know it. :toothy:

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
I didn't even know people sold magazines on ebay.

I usually take ours to the school and let the children use them to learn cutting skills.

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
DH's grandmother makes Christmas Trees out of them. Well she use to before she fell sick. I'm not real sure on how to do it but if anyone is interested I will find out how and post

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob
5,738 Posts
I'm the Activity Director in a nursing home, and we can never get enough magazines, especially if they're fairly recent ones. Residents take them to their rooms, spill on them, whatever- we always need more.

I don't necessarily need your 1965 Good Housekeepings or what-have-you, though, and you'd be surprised how often we get old ones like that.

And, Ellise, I'd love to see that Christmas tree project-- maybe it's something my residents could do?

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
I keep the Rieman magazines, but all others I toss after I read. Dh keeps his Field and Streams for a couple of months and then tosses them too. I don't need any more clutter. :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts