Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the cider press done we now have an old trunk to redo. This one will take a little while since it's in worse shape than we first thought. My question for you guys is..There's a torn up lining inside the trunk. Kinda like contact paper. Once we get that all cleaned up, would we be able to use a spray adhesive and some kind of cloth for a lining. And what would look good? The stuff that's in there now is kinda like an ugly floral from way back when. The man that owns it got it from Goodwill. His gf works there and they were going to throw it our. I'll try and see if I can get a picture to post so you can see it. The one is a little fuzzy but it gives an idea of the lining. The man that we did the cider press for gave us brand new digital camera so hopefully the pictures will be better........if I ever figure out how to use it lol Lots of knobs and doodads.

·
Registered
980 Posts
We redid one belonging to my wife's great-grandfather. The lining was very similar. We used a quilted fabric and attached it with thumb tacks. My wife wanted to be able to change it easily. If you choose to use something similar to the original lining, I am sure spray adhesive would work. My wife uses hers to store her finished cross stitch projects while she is waiting for me to frame them.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
I saw a trunk similar to that once with the interior recovered in a funky old fabric. When they recovered the lid, they did it in the fashion of those bulletin boards with the criss-crossed ribbon. I always remembered that cause I thought it was a neat idea

This will look great when you are done! Be sure to post pictures

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Wood and faberic don't alway go together..Walnut is one wood that faveric don't like..I have lined mine with just a cotton cloth but and tacked it in so that I could change it later. If you do use cloth make sure that you use a wood sealer inside before you cover it.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The kid that got it said he just wants it finished on the inside so I don'thave to worry about fabric. I am going to start a projects album for dh for christmas of the things that he has done.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We got a phone cll last night from the man who owns the cider press. Believe it or not there is another man in town that has a broken cider press and possibly wants us to fix it. What are the odds of that? I've even known the man for probably 40 years. Although he doesn't know that it's me he'll be talking to. I think we might go out and look at it tonight and see what we'd be getting into. He said he wanted it the same way as the last one. This may just blossom into a second income. That would be nice becaise since my unemployment ran out I feel like I'm not contributing anything. I do all the finishing work on dh's stuff. At least I'd feel a little better. And it's a great together time thing.

·
19,119 Posts
PGTW - what a cool new job for you!! It sounds so satisfying and interesting!! Love it when things like this happens. Keep us posted with pictures and stories - think your like is taking a definite upswing in more ways than one!! And the good guys score again!!

·
4,028 Posts
Wow! I thought the original state looked lovely but the finished product is an eye catcher. Kudos to all the hard work put into such a beautiful piece of art.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks,Every time dh would put the boards back together another one would fall apart. So it took us 8 months to finally get it all to hold. I don't know how much more work we'll get from this family. It seems to be causing problems with the son and father. The family is quite dysfunctional and the son seems jealous every time we do anything. (Dh and the son have been friends forever) His father and mother split and the father paid for the sons house as long as he could put an apartment addition on. Now the son wants to know why his dad doesn't have him do things for him. Maybe because everything he wants done doesn't get done. The poor blueberry bush has been sitting on the deck all summer waiting to be planted. The father is disabled and unable to do the stuff.If you remember form a previous thread these are the peopel making apple wine with a squeezo hooked to a drill and pipe clamp while they were let's just say intoxocated and couldn't figure out why it broke til the next day lol. So we'll have to wait and see.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts