Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering how many "older" mothers are here. I was 32 when I adopted my daughter, she was 2. Then I was 39 I gave birth to our son.
It doesn't bother me very often, except when we have pre-school functions and I look around at all the "twenty-somethings" who are there and many are pregnant again. Then I wish I was younger because I'd really like to have one more.
Does it ever bother any of you?

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
I can hear it now, "It was so nice of your grandmother to host your graduation open house."

I was 29 when I had ds, 39 when dd was forn , and I'm 40 and expecting another in May.

Ds's dad is 54 and has already been acused of being his grandfather.

It doesn't really bother me though. Living in such a small town everyone knows everyone anyway.

I've noticed a lot of families with kids 8-10 years apart lately.

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Nope, doesn't bother me in the least.

I was 40 when I adopted ds#1 and 42 when we adopted ds#2 and dd.

I became a new mom and a grandmother on the exact same day as we adopted ds#1 and I've never had anyone make any remarks in regards to our ages and kids.

There are more and more families having their kids later in life and we live in a small town where it doesn't matter to anyone the age of the parents. There are also many grandparents who are parenting grandchildren, so I think on the whole, society has accepted all ages for parents!!

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
I was 31 with the first and 32 with the second. We live in an area with a lot of young, YOUNG parents so I hear a lot of the little ones asking if I am Andrew and Robby's grandma on a regular basis. I actually like being an older mom because I have gotten more patient as I have gotten older although I am NOT a patient person AT ALL, so DH would get a real laugh out of this if he were reading it right now!

·
FV Buddy
1,101 Posts
Oh I am so happy to see "older" moms because I now realize that I will be an "older" mom (I hope!) I was planning on starting a family this year with my husband to be...but the husband wasn't! So I know it will be years before I have a child...I am already 27~this gives me hope, because I have always thought that I would have a family by now.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
My kids were born 18 years apart. They are now 24 and 6. I am 41.

Deb

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
I had my dd when I was 25 and ds was born 1 month before my 32nd birthday! I also live in an area where all the other Mom's seems to be 21!!!!:D I think I am average age as far as the Moms of dd's friends but I am probably one of if not the oldest Moms for ds and his classmates. It used to bother me but not anymore. I had a very difficult time getting pg the second time but to be honest, I am lucky with what I have and if I could have another baby now at almost 41 I would seriously consider it!!!!

·
FV Buddy aka KathiBob
1,651 Posts
I feel like I am raising a second family. Both of my children and their DH or DW are working full time. My DH and I spend so much time with our four granddaughters. We do many field trip, sports, school programs etc. with our girls. I volunteer two days a week in our youngest granddaughter's preschool class. We also keep them most of the time, during school vacations. I meet so many grandparents that are very active in their grandchildren's lives. I think our being in their lives helps our children, enriches our grandchildren's lives and is a true blessing from God for my DH and I. One thing that I feel older parents or grandparents realise is that childhood lasts such a short time. I don't think younger parents have had the time to think about how quickly their lives are moving. I enjoy every moment with our girls. I don't want to miss any of the fun!:angel: :angel: :angel: :angel:

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
I had my first when I was days away from 20, my second when I was 30, and my last when I was 35..... dh was 47 when the last one was born.......

·
Registered
487 Posts
I was 29 when I had my daughter & 32 when I had my son. When I was younger I would have like to have another child but my kids told me they were glad there was only 2 of them. No I'm ready for grandchildren, but my kids told me I would have to wait a good while for that yet. Well, I understand why, they are only 20 & 17 now, so that's ok with me, there is no hurry. They are way to young right now anyways.:paw:

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I am 45 and have an 11 yo dd. The last time my age even came up and I mentioned that I waited until after 30 to have a child, the college girls I was talking to said "SMART!". But I don't feel very smart when I run into old high school friends who tell me their oldest is in college and out of the house and the rest are getting ready to graduate high school. Some days I don't know how I am going to survive the next 10 years.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
I was 29 when Alex was born. I like the fact that I was more mature. Alot of the girls where we live start right out of high school. I has me worried that Alex will want to get married young, start a family young, and not be able to live it up a bit before she has a family.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just ran into an old colleague. She is having her first at - yes ladies it is so true - 48. She is so excited, just had all the tests and everything is fine. I am so thrilled for her.

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
30 when I had Zachary and 33 when I had Alexandra. :)

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I was 19 for the first one & 32 for my last one. There are 8 years between my Younger Brother & me. There are 8 years between My older Sister & me. There is 4 years between my Sister & older Brother. My Mom was 42 when she had my younger Brother, & although She was very close to him, my Dad was getting tired out by then & did not do anything with him. It was kind of sad in a way. Our Grandmother lived with us also--all my life. She was the Boss-Lady, but lots of fun. When we used to go to sports for the last two boys...we were always the oldest parents there. Of course when we went for the oldest child...WE WERE THE YOUNG ONES!!!!!! It's all in how you look at it.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
I was 20 when I had my first and 35 on the 5th I'm not sure how old I'll be for #6 ;) Better add that was a JOKE incase my mother joins the village LOL

1 - 16 of 16 Posts