1 cup milk

2 teaspoons baking powder

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1/4 teaspoon salt

5 eggs (yolks and white separated)

1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder​
Serves:
Directions:
1. In a large bowl, with electric mixer at low speed, beat sugar and butter or margarine until blended. Increase speed to high, and beat until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks, milk, vanilla, flour, baking powder and salt; beat at medium speed until well mixed

2. Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form, fold into batter

3. Remove about 2 cups batter and mix with cocoa powder until well blended

4. Grease 2 loaf pans. Alternately spoon both batters into pans. Run a butter knife through the batter in a wavy pattern

5. Bake at 350 degrees F for 1 hour, or until cake tester inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Cool cake in pan for 10 minutes. Remove cake from pan, and cool completely.

6. Enjoy with a nice cup of coffee (Optional )​

·
Registered
326 Posts
This looks like a great recipe, too. Thank you for posting all of these.

You must come from a family of wonderful cooks!:chef2:

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All bakers and chef on my Dad's side! :)

Reactions: Darlene

·
27,948 Posts
You are rich in family! :heartsm: Thanks for sharing with us, love the pics too!

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Everything looks so yummy. This would go over well with my family. Thanks for sharing all the great recipes and pics.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Looks like something you'd find in a bakery. I LOVE "old world" cooking and baking. I come from a line of wonderful cooks on my dad's side as well. Mine and dh's childhoods was filled with these kind of treats. My husband's was mostly from his grandmother, who seemed to be able to cook and bake for 20-25 people like it was hardly anything at all, and she literally did every Sunday. She was all of 4ft 9in, and ran her kitchen like a drill sargent...lol!

I'm really enjoying all your family recipes, but reading them is making me homesick, not to mention hungry...HA! But glad you're keeping your traditional recipes going. I try my best to do so also. It always amazes me how certain foods/recipes bring a bond to holding family together. And I like that! And since you are one to keep tradition, I'm gonna guess here and say that you know what I mean when I say that.

Thanks for posting the pix with the recipes. It makes it easier to do, at least for me. :)

Theresa :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts