Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My puppy trys to eat every thing. I just found 5 holes in my carpet where he has ate it. Why would he be doing this? He atcs like I dont feed him but I do.

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
The only thing I can think of is, well since he's a puppy he is teething, so this might be the cause, when you see him doing this make sure you say "NO!" and hand him a dog toy. My dog when we got him was 6months old and would chip out the hardwood floors with his teeth, he got over it when I kept catching him and repemanding him. Let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
We were really lucky with our Minature Schnauzer, he never chewed on anything other than one of my shoes and a couple of DH's (which I take the blame for because I should have made sure they were put away before letting him out of his crate). We make sure that he has lots and lots of chew toys to chew on. A friend of mine that is a dog expert told me a trick that really helped our furbaby when he was teething, we bought a package of cheap washclothes and washed them a couple of times in a mild detergent and then we wet them and tied them in a knot and froze them and we would give them to our furbaby to chew on when he acted like his mouth was hurting, it really helped sooth those poor little gums.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I would give my dog frozen baby carrots when he was a pup. It really helps. Puppies are so destructive...which is why they're so darn cute!

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Make sure he's getting plenty of quality exercise. Dogs get destructive when they don't have a physical outlet for their energy. Running around in the back yard doesn't count.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Crating the puppy may be helpful. Like a toddler, keep an eye on the pup at all times. Icecubes are great for teething, and cow hooves helped us too.

We decided to get an older dog to keep our puppy company. They get along great.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Your puppy sounds like he's teething. Just make sure you have different things for him to chew on with different textures. I like the idea of the frozen washcloths. Maybe add in a rubber dog ball, a stuffed animal, a rawhide (supervised). With mine I also got rib bones leftover from dinner and froze them for Bear. Oh yeah, my dog likes carrots too! :teddy2:

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Make sure he's getting plenty of quality exercise. Dogs get destructive when they don't have a physical outlet for their energy. Running around in the back yard doesn't count.

That might be what it is. With all the snow I dont get to take him out side alot.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I second the chew hooves! My puppy chewed on towels, needless to say I'm having to replace a few and then she had to spend 2 nights at the vets! So she gets chew hooves and bones from the feed store. She was a foundling at the vet's and we think she was taken from her mom to early, she loves to chew and suck on towels. But her favorite toy is a 20 ounce pop bottle and she can now unscrew the lids off. Then she props it between her feet and sucks out whatever is in the bottle and sticks her long ole tongue down inside. She's a sight to behold!

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
I second the chew hooves! My puppy chewed on towels, needless to say I'm having to replace a few and then she had to spend 2 nights at the vets! So she gets chew hooves and bones from the feed store. She was a foundling at the vet's and we think she was taken from her mom to early, she loves to chew and suck on towels. But her favorite toy is a 20 ounce pop bottle and she can now unscrew the lids off. Then she props it between her feet and sucks out whatever is in the bottle and sticks her long ole tongue down inside. She's a sight to behold!
Oh my gosh! You need to see if you can get a pic of your dog with the tongue down inside the bottle! Thatd be a priceless pic and hours of giggles for me! :laugh:

·
Registered
713 Posts
You need to be really careful when your dog is chewing on non-edibles. They can end up creating a blockage in their stomach or intestines, and the result is either death or expensive surgery unfortunately. Bones are really not recommended since they can swallow them and they can also cause blockages. Dogs can also swallow fabric items - towels, washclothes, socks, etc. I've worked at vet clinic for several years, and you should see the thing that get pulled out of dogs. An entire bra, a whole towel are just a few. Kong toys are good and very strong. Rawhides are good too.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
puppy could be bored. have you started training him yet?working with him on basic commands helps some of the boredom. for other times getting him to run off some of that energy with playing may help. roll a ball around on the floor. blow bubbles for him to chase, just be careful if you do that on a non carpeted surface as it can get slippery. they have some neat puzzle toys that help keep puppies active too.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Some time ago a friend told be about a product called "Bitter Apple". It's mostly alcohol, water, and the bitter principles from apple seeds. There are similar products with capsicum, but my vet recommended against them as she has had to perform surgery on dogs nearly asphyxiating from swelling of mouth/throat/etc.

Anyway, bitter apple can be sprayed on just about anything...I've even lightly coated books a few times. It has worked like a charm for me. The liquid evaporates, and you don't know it is there. I've tasted it myself...nasty. I can see why it works.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
:tay: The bitter apple works wonders.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts