Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My electric bill has jumped and I couldn't understand why? When I called nstar, a nice man told me that running my dehumidifier can raise my bill, it is like running air conditioners.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
i hear ya...we run 2 in the bsmnt - one is energy effecient and one is older so it is not. already saw a difference in the elec bill...between that and the pool running...sheesh...

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
Can you cut the usage time? Maybe run it half the time or cut by at least 1/4th.

Yikes, and 2 of them!

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
I found that out the same way you did; a long time ago and now I just use mine sparingly.

Lisa is the energy efficient one much better with the electric bill? I hate the bill, but love my basement feeling dry!

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
you know, to be honest, i have never really tested them...i just know that the newer one is energy effecient. and, i too, like and need a dry basement - my laundry room is down there, there is a tv, a wii, a couch and a playroom that gets used! so, i just run them both. the nonenergy effecient one runs while on the laundry side of the basement pretty much from about 7a - 10p. the energy effecient one which is in the other playroom, runs about the same amount of time. no choice and not going to test what happens if i cut the time down.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Dehumidifiers and humidifiers are two different creatures, The humidifiers are usually a rotating wheel with foam and a fan blowing air over the wet foam; a fairly low draw of power. A Dehumidifier is built something like an air conditioner with a compressor pump and fan.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hang clothes down in the basement so, I was running it all the time. I will now be running it sparingly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts