Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got off the phone with my husband. His heart is in the right place but he doesn't understand what kind of financial hurt we are in.

My husband just purchased a gift card for $200.00 @ Bealls Dept Store for me. I've been saying I need new clothes because I haven't bought anything for me in 2 years. We are beginning to tithe and trusting God for blessings and now THIS!!!

Can he take the card back and get his cash back after the gift card purchase???? I think 200.00 is REALLY extreme because I'm such a thrift shopper anyways.

I am about to vomit I'm so mad.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Oh my! You guys sound exactly like my DH and I! I can so relate to this!! I would call the store immediately and ask if the gift card can be returned for cash. If they say no, explain the situation and maybe they will make an exception. Your hubby sounds so sweet, but I would explain to him that right now that BIG of an expense for yourself is not something you feel comfortable with or can afford. Maybe get yourself something small, from him, and let him know how much you appreciate his thinking of you! Hang in there, I'm almost sure you can get the $ back! Let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you frugal friend. I did just that. Manager called back and said that he could bring back the card and they will refund him. She said, they don't usually do that but she understood the circumstance.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
:clap: I hope you feel better now! Give your hubby a big hug and tell him you will get yourself some needed things when the time is right. :)

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Oh yea...Give him a big hug....Gotta love a guy like that.

Barbara

·
Registered
205 Posts
That is SOOOO sweet!! Awwww he wants you to be happy..make sure to give him lots of love and appreciation for what he tried to do....

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Awwww, that was sweet of him. Husbands sometimes don't really understand finances. Mine works all the time, and I'm the one who watches our bank account and pays all the bills. So sometimes he has no idea how much money we have, and he goes and spends $50 on lunch for people in his office.

At least you can take the card back. :)

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
You gotta love a man like that. PLease , buy yourself one small thing. It will make him feel better. And you do deserve something.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
It sounds like my dh. He would give me the moon and the stars if he could. Buy something small even if it is a nice t-shirt. It will make your hubby feel better. Cook him his favorite dessert and thank him over and over again. He really did mean well, even if the financial aspect doesn't agree with his decision.

auntie

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
You gotta love his thoughtfulness! At least he took the time and effort to do something for you! I would be like you though....thinking we could use that money for something else. I am glad the manager was so polite about the situation.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you all for letting me vent my frustrations and he did go back and purchased a new gift card for 50 dollars. That was more reasonable, etc. I am blessed for him being so loving and like I said his heart was in the right place. We are going this Saturday to the store so I can spend it. :) We're also going garage saling (I dont' know if I spelled it right, but you get the point) to look for a dehydrater so I can do fruits for snacks. I wonder if I can actually slow bake apples in the oven????

Anywho, I wanted to let ya'll know everything turned out fine :)

Hugs,
Melissa

·
Registered
263 Posts
While you are out garage saling, make sure you look for some clothes. I find such nice things if I find someone who is selling things my size.

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
That was sweet of him :) but glad you were able to get your money back, gotta love him for being so sweet though :)

·
Registered
254 Posts
That was so sweet of him to do that for you. I wish that my dh would do that everyonce in awhile. But he does go with me on holiday time to visit my family. I am not the one to buy anything new unless if it is falling apart. So it works out better that way.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Oh dear...I hope he understands and his feelings aren't hurt. What a wonderful man he is. God bless you both!

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
yeah your hubby sounds like a pretty good guy!!! Hug him lots.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
That was a very sweet gesture on his part!!...I'm so glad they will give you the money back!!...My dh recently bought me an expensive piece of jewelry for my b-day, I kept it and now I am paying the bill *SIGH*..I love the piece, and dh, but we couldn't afford it!!!

·
Licence to Kill
3,475 Posts
Awww...well, his heart was in the right place. Very sweet. Seems like Dh's sometimes just don't "get it".

I agree with an earlier poster...get yourself something small so he won't feel "funny" about it. And give him a great big hug! :D

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
That was thoughtful of your Dh :).

·
Registered
82 Posts
wow.
this is so familiar...my best (frugal earlier than me) friend lived in a tiny apt with no couch for a year while she and DH got there start. He was learning how to sell cars and earning commission. With his first check he bought her a diamond tennis bracelet. The next day she returned it to the store and refused any other gifts. He was not so happy. Fast forward 7 years...
They just built their own house in a very nice community. My friend has tea in the morning while gazing out the french doors into a forest valley. She still resale shops and cuts coupons...Sweet...they worked hard for it.. and it gives us hope too :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts