Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, we got our refund, and did awesome things with it!
We put four new tires on our '81 Toyota (76,000 original miles, 48 miles to the gallon, we're keeping it forever, lol) and had a front-end alignment too.
We paid off our Craftsman tractor. We have 1 1/2 acres, so this was great. We bought last year's model at the Sear's outlet for $1600, it lists for over $2200.
We paid off an Amazon card, from Christmas.
We paid off our 1999 Plymouth Grand Voyager. :cheergrl:

We paid off a pop-up camper that we bought from friends. :cheer4:
We were able to consolidate our two remaining cards into one with Citibank, and they gave me 0% until March 2008!! This was SO unexpected, but happened just because I asked! We can make a huge dent in this, as we owe about $11, 700 now, and three weeks ago it was $12200. I plan on making extra payments as much as possible.
Well, I had planned on putting more into an emergency fund, but Murphy reared his angry head before I could move.
Our van started to make a funny noise, and then the transmission (we think!) went bust. We used our emergency fund to have it towed home, and now, a week later, we have a plan.
We could have had it towed to the local garage, but a new transmission runs about $2200, which we would have had to use credit for.
Instead, we chose to do a huge tune-up on our Toyota, and install a new seat-belt in the middle, so that I and our four children now fit in it. My husband gets a ride to work, and we rarely all go somewhere together anyway, except church. (This sounds bad, but it's not. If you don't go to the mall, you don't spend the money! We spend a lot of time together, it's just mostly at home. Our teenager usually wants to stay home now anyway.)If we need to, we will figure it out. We homeschool, so I'm home most days, and the Toyota uses less gas, so we have savings there.
We have bought some time, anyway. We are now planning on having my husband install a used transmission in our van. They run from $450-$1,000. I am hoping to find one in our area in the $500 range or so. I know this is not the ideal, a new one, but we are determined to not use the credit, and we do not have $2200. A used one will have a shorter warrantee, but may give us a few good years, too. It's a gamble, true, but an affordable one.
My emergency fund will be depleted by this, but nothing new will be on the credit, so that's a plus!
I am so excited by what we have been able to accomplish this year already.
My youngest turns 1 tomorrow, and we have a party of 50 or so people on Saturday, mostly family. We will have snacks and cake and ice cream, no real food, and no goody bags. I bought sidewalk chalk and foam footballs at the Dollar Tree, so the kids (24 of them!) have something to do while here.I bought all of the plates there, plain napkins and foam cups, plus punch for a punch bowl, and some snacks. For 50 people, around $100 isn't bad.
Anyway, I wanted to share that even when bad things happen, buying some time can help.
If we had rushed, it would have cost us much more. Now that we have had time to research the options, we have come up with a plan that fits our income.
I know that not everyone could do this, but this is just another learning experience for us.

Frugally yours,

Leocea

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
You are doing a great job! It sounds like you put "Murphy" in his place instead of the other way around :) It also sounds like you really have your debts under control. I hope you have a great 1st birthday for the baby, it sounds like you did really well with budgeting for the party too!

·
Registered
467 Posts
You're doing great!!! And found a reasonable solution to the car problems to boot! Good score on the 0% interest CC. My motto is it never hurts to ask. Keep up the good work!:cheer4:

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
That's great that you've come up with a solution without having to use the cc. Congrats on the way you used the tax money. So many people just fritter it away.

Hope your son has a wonderful birthday. $100 for 50 people is fabulous.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Keep plugging away! Your ideas and milestones are much appreciated here!
Others can learn from this!!

Like I never imagined an older toyota could be such a valuable car.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
When we were first married the transmission went out on our car. My dh was able to get a transmission for it from the junkyard, he had to pull it himself, but it cost us $50, for them to pull it would have been $200. Might be something to think about to save you even more money on the transmission.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
You just slammed the door on M_____Y !!! (sorry I never speak his name, he might think I'm calling him). Your doing amazing and you give me a lot of inspiration "Thanks for sharing".

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
[Like I never imagined an older toyota could be such a valuable car.[/QUOTE]

If you can find one, hold onto it!
We have been offered $3,000 for this Toyota!
It should go forever, if the body holds up!

Leocea:cheergrl:

·
Registered
191 Posts
Congrats on stickin' it to Ol Murphy...

I know how that goes. And i know its hard to over come it.
We had our credit card nice and paid off twice now. We messed it up the first time but murphy got us the second.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Well I have no idea who much my return will be but Im visualizing 3.500. according to the laws of attraction thats what it will be so I plan on paying off debt and haveing a stress free 2007.

Im glade you got back enough money to do all that for you!

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
wow you really keep a cool head and got your plan together.

·
Registered
263 Posts
When you step back and think for a bit, you can come up with some creative ideas. I think cars inspire alot of my creativity! Once when we had one car, I realized it was no longer an out of town car. It was fine for around town but 3 hours to see my parents, etc wouldn't work. I decided instead of buying a new car, I would rent a car a few times a year when we travelled out of town. Saved us a bundle.

Good work!.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Another good reason to have a EF, I just started mine, so thanks for the motivation: when things go astray, you don't feel helpless & have the $$ to take care of things rather than feel stuck & having to rely on credit cards again. Way to go!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts