Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
*I found this recipe on facebook. I tried it and it was easy and delicious! I cooked it in a covered skillet.*

Pasta, Tomatoes, Veggie Broth, Olive Oil, and Seasonings (details below)

Throw it all in the pot, INCLUDING the uncooked Pasta, and cook! - Bring it to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. The starch leaches out of the pasta and makes a rich, warm sauce for the noodles. The other ingredients cook right along with the pasta
Ingredients

12 ounces pasta (I used a box of penne pasta)
1 can (15 ounces) diced tomatoes with liquid (I used two cans: one diced, one stewed)
1 large sweet onion, cut in julienne strips (I used a yellow onion)
4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
2 large sprigs basil, chopped (I used dry flakes)
4 1/2 cups vegetable broth (regular broth and NOT low sodium)
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Parmesan cheese for garnish

Directions

Place pasta, tomatoes, onion, garlic, basil, in a large stock pot. Pour in vegetable broth. Sprinkle on top the pepper flakes and oregano. Drizzle top with oil.

Cover pot and bring to a boil. Reduce to a low simmer and keep covered and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring every 2 minutes or so. Cook until almost all liquid has evaporated – I left about an inch of liquid in the bottom of the pot – but you can reduce as desired .

Season to taste with salt and pepper , stirring pasta several times to distribute the liquid in the bottom of the pot. Serve garnished with Parmesan cheese.

Many options for additions and substitutions for this recipe!

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
That sounds great. Thank you!

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
This sounds delicious eofelis!
Thank you so much for sharing.
If low carb pasta products or whole wheat pastas were used, do you
think it would turn out good...maybe increase cooking time a little...Hhhhmmmm...

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This sounds delicious eofelis!
Thank you so much for sharing.
If low carb pasta products or whole wheat pastas were used, do you
think it would turn out good...maybe increase cooking time a little...Hhhhmmmm...
I used whole wheat pasta and it was fine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts