Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He has always been a good sleeper, but we are now 20 days with no soother and NO DAY TIME NAPS! He falls asleep on his own at night around 8-9pm and it only takes him 10 mins. But during the day he will not go to sleep on his own! He will fall asleep on me, but I have to get up after 10 mins to put him down, I am 7 months pregnant and it makes my back spaz if I sit for too long, and he just wakes up. I am at the point of just putting him down in his crib every day at 11am and 4pm for one hour. He wont even play in there, just screams the entire time. because of this he is very cranky during the day. We are making progress on that end of it because I only pick him up now if he is happy, that is working well. I realy need him to sleep during the day, I home school 3 kids and our 5th little one is due in 2 months. I have the same pattern of what I do for him for every nap and bedtime. I have tried setting a timer and laying him down every 10 mins, this worked to show him at bedtime, but I dont do it during the day anymore, it was not working.
Any ideas anyone? the only ideas I cannot entertain is giving him his soother back, and giving him a bottle in the crib (I tried the bottle already, he wont touch it in there!)
Lori

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I realy think it is because he is separated from me during this time, but I just cant be with him all day long.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
i have 5- only 2 of mine ever napped after 1 yo - i never napped after 18 months according to my mom - but i would have to go in my room with some books or a few toys for an hour for quiet time .

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is what hubby suggested also, to just make it a "quiet time" and that is what I am doing, I just want him to spend 1 hour in his room playing on his own! This just is not going to work out well when the new baby comes.

·
Registered
419 Posts
How much over 1 is he? It wasn't until after they were weaned, even when I wasn't feeding them during the day, that mine started to stop taking naps during the day.

Maybe the quiet time can start together, you read him a book and then hand it too him along with some others or some toys while you step out of the room and tell him you'll be back in a few minutes. Check back in a few and congratulate him if he is being good, help him out a bit if he needs it and then leave again. He'll start to play longer and longer.

Get your older children in on it too. One of your older children can do some of their reading to him for the toddler's quiet time, or a craft with him as a reward for your toddler being quiet while you do other things.

Good luck with it all!

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
I had this w/ the oldest when I was preg. w/ the 2nd. they sense a change coming and won't leave you alone.
Don't shoot me but put on a video for alone time. Nothing loud and revvy. I had to drive DS for A NAP. In the car we'd go. Stupid neighbor smirking at me. Skip juices w/ sugar try warm milk. Stinker knows he's missing something.lol

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I suppose that I could try putting him in the crib and signing reading and playing, instead of doing the "bedtime stuff". Hopfully I could leave the room and because he is happy and playing he might fall to sleep in there. He is soooooo tired.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
he is in his brothers room, maybe i could have my nap, oh please oh please a nap on that bed right across from his crib in the afternoons if he still wont be ok with me leaving the room??

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Wouldn't hurt to try it.

You could also offer a blanky and quiet time on the sofa, turn the radio on quietly and rest yourself in a nearby recliner or the other sofa (depending on what you have in your living room)

Mine would wake up instantly if I laid her in the crib. Every single time. If we did a car ride, she'd wake up when the car stopped. So frustrating.

Hang in there, you can get through this. If you can get him to fall asleep on you, can you gently just roll him onto the sofa next to you? Rather than trying to stand up and put him to bed? Just a thought.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
dd didnt nap past one either. but, she went to bed for the night at 5:30 or 5:45 until she was about 3-1/2...then it slowly moved up to 6 or 6:30 til she was about 5-1/2 or so.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
do it like they do at school

milk, mat, pillow, floor, storytime

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
Try moving his bedtime earlier, he's not getting enough hours at night. He's probably too overtired to sleep in the day, and he likely has no idea how to fall asleep since he would be just collapsing from fatigue at the end of the day.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
He sleeps for 10hrs every night no matter what time I put him to bed at. Right now I am running on 6-8hrs sleep myself and it is not helping me be a good mommy! this is because he has just recently started to fall asleep earlier in the pm and I still have to be up doing more in the house and making sure hubby remembers who I am!lol! I do agree with you though monkey, he is just collapsing because he is so tied, he isnt leanring how to fall asleep at all!
well Wish me luck ladies, it is going to be another day of learning patience! Lucky for me these days also come with many smiles too!

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
I had this w/ the oldest when I was preg. w/ the 2nd. they sense a change coming and won't leave you alone.
Don't shoot me but put on a video for alone time. Nothing loud and revvy. I had to drive DS for A NAP. In the car we'd go. Stupid neighbor smirking at me. Skip juices w/ sugar try warm milk. Stinker knows he's missing something.lol
This was me with my firstborn (with #2 coming along any time). He wouldn't nap after about 9 mos., even when I was there. Sometimes you have to settle with just downtime, like frugalwarrior said. Or a drive.

My son would refuse to nap (I left him in his crib till he cried till he didn't have a voice), and my mother thought it was just TERRIBLE and chided me all the time. So I laid down with Mr. Wiggly/Squirmy for HOURS in the afternoon trying to get him to nap, and all that would happen is he'd NOT nap, and then have a meltdown at about 4-5 in the afternoon, and still be awake at 1am. Go figure. It was just him. His brother slept.

Mr. Wiggly/Squirmy is 27 now, and I sent him this book as a joke:

Book - Warning title has a bad word in it

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
ooops. I didn't know that was going to show up with the F word in the link. :hmmm:

Sorry, Mods. Delete as needed.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Thanks, Mods! :dopey:

·
8,714 Posts
~That was my older kids at that age too. They had to be with me or in the room I was in to sleep. I ended up just letting them conk out anywhere they wanted, couch, floor, their bed, my bed, or in front of the tv. Just so long as they slept.
Can you put a sleeping mat(like kids take to Kindergarten)in whatever room you homeschool in and try to have him nap there? I know it will be really hard training a one year old to do that but isn't that better than the screaming?~

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I got to thinking that he always falls asleep when held and when straped down ing the car seat. So I wondered if it was that he could not move around that did it. I remembered that for one of the girls we had to stay in the room with our hand on her chest (for comfort and to keep her laying down). We only had to do it for a week, until she did it herself. But it hurts my back so much to lean over like that. So I layed him along the side of the crib closest to me, put a chair in there and read to him with my arm through the side of the crib and on his chest, he didnt try to get up more than 5 times. In 5 mins both times yesturday, he was asleep! He had two 2hr naps, then went to sleep at 9pm until 6am as usual. Very happy mommy over here!

·
Registered
326 Posts
My oldest gave up naps at 7 months! I thought there was something wrong, but no-it was just his timetable. He was done with naps, and that was that. I was pregnant at the time, too, so I understand how you feel. But...I tried everything, and like I said-he just decided he was done. So we muddled through.

He's twelve now, and still doesn't sleep like my other kids. It's just his way. He goes to bed without a fuss at bedtime and gets up the first time he's called, so I guess it turned out well. Exhausting but well.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So today I only needed to keep my hand on him for a minute and he stayed down on his own and was out in 5 more mins, this afternoon, my mom was coming over and with me being sick, pregnant, and lets face it lazy, I needed to do a fast clean of at least the house. So I put him down in the crib, and tucked him in, and left him there. Thinking he would at least be safe from speeding mommy until grandma came to rescue him! HAHA! A few whines and cries, and 10 mins later, SLEEPING BABY!!!! YAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I think I will keep slowly weaning him off ome at nap time still, I read my own book in silence, its nice!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts