Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070425/ap_on_re_us/a_week_on_food_stamps

If Gov. Ted Kulongoski seems a little sluggish this week, he's got an excuse: he couldn't afford coffee.
In fact, the Democratic governor couldn't afford much of anything during a trip to a Salem-area grocery store on Tuesday, where he had exactly $21 to buy a week's worth of food — the same amount that the state's average food stamp recipient spends weekly on groceries.
I do wonder though...that $21 per recipient, is that PER PERSON in the family? Here in NY food stamps are based on your income level and the number of people in your family. So that would be $21 per person. Meaning a family of 4 would get $84 PER WEEK to spend on just food.

·
4,028 Posts
Very interesting... and a very good question!

·
Registered
451 Posts
Perhaps a few more Governors as well as some CEOs/Presidents of certain Corporations should try doing this as well for, oh let's say 6 months. I have a feeling it would put A LOT into perspective.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I'm not trying to be a butt, but if it's per person that would be $168/wk for my family. That's more than I can spend now. I realize that a person on food stamps would have lots of other budget issues-housing, gas, medical, I'm just saying that it could be done.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
I think they do mean $21 per person. That would be $63 a week for our family, and that is FOOD ALONE. Food stamps do not cover non-food items like toilet paper, bath or laundry soap, etc. I spend less than $63 EVERY WEEK including all of our household items, like soap, paper, lightbulbs, etc.

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would rather see them do something to include personal hygeine/toiletry items in food stamp purchases than to just out & out increase the food stamps.

My youngest sister was on food stamps a while back. She got almost $400/month in food stamps for just her and two babies. But she couldn't buy a pack of diapers. Couldn't afford to buy tampons, etc.

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
Wow $21 a week per person? That would be $105 a week for our family, gosh I dont even spend that a month, I know people here in PA that for a family of 3 get over $300 a month, so here it goes by income as I think it does in most states.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Well regardless of how much better we could all maybe do on that money, I think it's admirable for my former mayor (Oregon, represent!) to be doing this. Thumbs up Ted.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Where i am you get 120 a month single and 152 with 1 child , more people should try livin on that , i am lucky the farmers market here takes both foodstamps and wic.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I'll probably sound like a butt saying this...and I mean no disrespect... But I don't think the government should be payin' for any of it. It used to be that people would get help from churches...and then would only accept the help for the time it was absolutely necessary. I wish the government would just stay out of every little aspect of life.

I know there are people out there who honestly *need* it...and that's what it's there for.

But to be perfectly honest - EVERY person I've ever known who has been on WIC, foodstamps, Social Security/Disability, etc...hasn't *needed* it. They vehicles (often fancy), they have cell phones, they eat out at LEAST once a week, etc. They live far better than my Dh and I do...while we struggle...as I'm sure many others do.

It makes me ill to think of the abuse of the systems...which just increase the tax burden that the rest of us must bear.

It's admireable that that politician tried to survive on that amount, but no one should complain about ANY amount they are FREELY GIVEN. What's that old saying..."don't look a gift horse in the mouth"? Surely a "thank you" would suffice instead of "gimmie more".

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
But to be perfectly honest - EVERY person I've ever known who has been on WIC, foodstamps, Social Security/Disability, etc...hasn't *needed* it.
God forbid you or your DH are ever hurt or become so ill that you cannot work. Disability saved my family. At age 23 my father was electrocuted while on the job. The amount of electricity he was hit with is triple what you get in the electric chair. He was burned on over 90% of his body, lost both arms, had the top part of his head blown off when the electricity exited his body, lost a great deal of his eyesight and several other injuries. He spent over six months in the hospital. Then when he came home his brain began to swell again and he had to be re-admitted for a few more months. This was before there were workman's comp laws. It took over four years of court battles, going all the way to the US Supreme Court before my dad could get awarded a DIME from his employer and a good bit after that before we saw any of it. If it had not been for disability we would have starved and been homeless. At age 20 my mom had to deal with feeding a 19 month old on no money while her husband is in an ICU burn unit 100 miles from home, not knowing from day to day whether he was going to live or die. My dad is forever disabled and has to live with the scars and pain from it. He has to endure the stares and idiotic comments from adults (not children) on a daily basis. Yes, we needed it and my dad DESERVED it. I am thankful everyday for it. I know there are abuses to the system. However there are many people who do need, who do deserve it and I thank God it is there for them.

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
I hope I did not come across as rude. Emotions are hard to express correctly on line and my tone in the above post is meant to be a passionate one. This is a topic that hits way too close to home for me.

I also forgot to add that I would hate to see these programs cut because of the abuse of some. The ones who really need them would suffer far beyond what I would like to imagine. There are times when a person cannot help him or herself and these programs are a a true blessing to them in their time of need.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I hope I did not come across as rude. Emotions are hard to express correctly on line and my tone in the above post is meant to be a passionate one. This is a topic that hits way too close to home for me.

I also forgot to add that I would hate to see these programs cut because of the abuse of some. The ones who really need them would suffer far beyond what I would like to imagine. There are times when a person cannot help him or herself and these programs are a a true blessing to them in their time of need.
Like I said...I KNOW there are people out there who genuinely need these programs... I'm only stating that my personal experiences have been that all the folks we've known on them...currently, or now off of., have abused it completely. I know in my heart of hearts there are honest, decent folks out there that sincerely *need* the programs. It's just upsetting when it's a 100% abuse of the system based on personal experience. It's good to know there are people out there who have had only positive experiences with folks using these programs.

I'm sorry your family had to go through such an awful time... YES, that's the type of situation that it would be appropriate for.

Although, Social Security was NEVER meant to have all those additional programs added to it. It was initially supposed to be purely for retirement years...end of story. Now because of the extra programs, all of us who are paying into it will be lucky to see a dime of it, for it's original purpose, in our older years.

And no, of course I don't want to see people who sincerely need help suffer. But I also don't believe it's the government's responsibility to provide that coverage through the forced contribution of it's citizens, IMHO.

Just my :cents:

·
Registered
261 Posts
I would much prefer to chose where to donate the money I earn...it's very upsetting to have money taken from my paycheck and given to a looooong list of folks that don't need it (that I personally know). I would love to be able to chose where those $ go...like to my Church's food outreach program...

I know this is a subject that hits near home for many of us... The last person I know who was on disability (who was removed from it by the government) got nearly $50,000 of support over just a few years...drove a fancy truck, had a cell phone, etc. While my husband and I had $ taken from our paychecks to go to that... We have older cars, no cell phones, and extremely limited resources. It's just upsetting...and then to have folks complain that they haven't been *given enough*!! Rude!!

Can you imagine some stranger walking up to you, handing you say...$100. And you turning around and saying..."well, that's not enough!". As though they should've been giving you that money (and more) the whole time? We live in such an "I deserve it" society these days...it saddens me...

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
I already posted here but I agree that there are "some" who just take it because they CAN and not because they NEED it, I know quite a few people like that and it's a shame because we NEED it but dont qualify but we make do. :)

On that note, yes there are some that really need it and get it and I am glad they do, they arent driving around in fancy cars, living in elegant houses or have the latest electronics, they are living day-by-day like most of us here and those foodstamps or whatever benefits they have, they use them properly.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
I'll probably sound like a butt saying this...and I mean no disrespect... But I don't think the government should be payin' for any of it. It used to be that people would get help from churches...and then would only accept the help for the time it was absolutely necessary. I wish the government would just stay out of every little aspect of life.

I know there are people out there who honestly *need* it...and that's what it's there for.

But to be perfectly honest - EVERY person I've ever known who has been on WIC, foodstamps, Social Security/Disability, etc...hasn't *needed* it. They vehicles (often fancy), they have cell phones, they eat out at LEAST once a week, etc. They live far better than my Dh and I do...while we struggle...as I'm sure many others do.

It makes me ill to think of the abuse of the systems...which just increase the tax burden that the rest of us must bear.

It's admireable that that politician tried to survive on that amount, but no one should complain about ANY amount they are FREELY GIVEN. What's that old saying..."don't look a gift horse in the mouth"? Surely a "thank you" would suffice instead of "gimmie more".
I thought I was the only one who felt this way.I have a friend that works for DFS- abuse of these programs is disgusting.( love the stories about the people who live together with their kids, each not claiming the other in the household,working under the table and drawing every available benefit. Then complaining it is not enough.:lame: )Someone should point the gov. to a food bank if he needs more.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Neeley,

Your parents must be so strong to have made it through such a tough, agonizing experience. I think the system exists BECAUSE there are true needs, like theirs, that must be met. I would like to see the programs monitored better so there was much less abuse, but agree that we have to provide for those who really are in need.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I work with disabled children in the home and alot of times the parents don't work. I have taken treats and groceries to the kids and other children in the home, things like cereal, a pound of hamburger and hamburger helper or a gallon of milk or icecream, I have also taken produce from my garden.

I take these things because the foodstamps have run out and I don't want the kids to suffer. But when the foodstamps are plentiful they are eating chips and dip and prepackaged ready made food. Very expensive and I don't buy it in my home.

No wonder that the foodstamps run out before the month does!! I don't know what the answer is. Education with the foodstamps? Or should it go to foodbanks and churches and only give out certain food. Commonsense really isn't that common.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I think we do need the system for some people, and I agree there needs to be better monitoring and some tweaking of the system.

·
Registered
34 Posts
i have to agree with Luv2BeFrugal, there are alot of people on welfare that doesn't need it. i have been working ever since high school. some people are just too lazy to work and they depend on the system for help.i believe that a person couldn't ask for help unless they honest tried to help themselves first.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts