Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
4,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As listed in another thread: http://www.frugalvillage.com/forums...89-paid-organize-sewing-room.html#post1515259 I'm offered a paid job to organize a sewing room.

I would love to hear how other sewers have their things organized so I can present a variety of ideas to my client.

I'm very visual and love shelves with square and rectangular lined baskets or boxes with lids to keep items less used. I like the ability to look for a labeled basket, take the whole thing down to my workspace then slide it back into place when I'm finished.

I don't know if this works for everyone though and am eager to learn how others organize their crafts and notions for easy access and more importantly easy put away!

·
Registered
860 Posts
I highly recommend the book Dream Sewing Spaces. Also, you might get some ideas from the Yahoo Group Your Sewing Room. Lots of sewing room photos here:

Pictures of Sewing Rooms & Quilting Studios

The primary type of sewing done by your client will make a difference in what is needed. A quilter may need a large flannel panel on the wall for piecing and a place to hang the different clear rulers. A garment seamstress will need a spot for her dress form. There are those who prefer their thread in clear boxes and some who prefer them on racks (although dust can be a problem there). I have my fabric in labeled bins. Some quilters who may have many different small pieces of yardage may have it in drawers with a hanging file system or on large "cards" categorized in similar colors, etc.

·
Registered
9,304 Posts
IMO, as a fellow costumer, she'll need not only the obvious things like good lights and a large cutting space, but specialized storage.

If she is making large skirts she is probably buying bolts of fabric, and those should go upright, like in a fabric store and not stacked, as that is easier to get to. Fabric fades, so no fabric stored next to a window or directly under a light, or in a spot that sunlight shines on during the day.

She's probably got bins of trims, sequins, beads, fringe, etc that will need sorting and organizing. My dream studio will include a wall of Elfa shelving and pull out bins.

Don't forget a space to hang costumes. They need to go somewhere when they're not in the sewing machine, especially if she is working on multiples. A closet rod or wall mounted hangar rack is really useful for storage during construction, especially as she probably has to hang skirts before hemming them.

Reactions: Ceashels

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Yep, good info in what the others have posted......and...

Something very important to me is 'time saving'........but U have to consider ---like another poster said----which type of sewing she does......and if she could be doing them at the same time. I will have multiple projects going at the same time ----for various reasons.

Don't overlook the potential of extending a space with storage cabinets. I did that and love it.
I put three of the 3 drawer cabinets on each end of my cutting table which not only gave me much more length but storage too.

My cutting table ---just a long folding table---was raised up with bricks......but because it is in the basement, the looks aren't that important.......comfort is! (I am taller and needed it higher for comfort) You may have to work around things like this......depending on where the room is.......and how tall your customer is......

The one thing I insist on is all my rulers/cutting items in plain sight. They are all hung on a wall behind me when I am at the cutting table. I would hate having to dig for another implement while cutting. I have the 'incidental' items stored in a cabinet. (buttons --in a CLEAR plastic bin----chalk markers and marking pencils in a ziplock, patterns are sorted according to type and stored in shoe boxes, etc)
All storage items are labeled.

I refuse to use the solid colored bins.........I want CLEAR. (which is where much of my fabric is stored)

The other thing.........won't use the bins with 'latches'.....as I will overstuff them.........try to close them....and break the latch. (and they usually cost more anyway---so why go there??!!)

Probably the best purchase I ever made was just a small stool that COMPLETELY fits under the cutting table for those few times that I want to sit down and draw something out, trace something, contemplate??? :laugh: etc. I am not working around a 'chair' and it is totally out of the way.

Good luck..........it sounds like fun!! I LOVE organizing things.

·
4,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for asking questions I would not have thought of. I know dust is going to be a problem unless I becomes part of my cleaning duties... but that is only once a month.

The link was wonderful. I'll probably email her some of the pictures I found on the site to give her ideas of how things could look and what would be most usable to her.

·
4,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
IMO, as a fellow costumer, she'll need not only the obvious things like good lights and a large cutting space, but specialized storage.

If she is making large skirts she is probably buying bolts of fabric, and those should go upright, like in a fabric store and not stacked, as that is easier to get to. Fabric fades, so no fabric stored next to a window or directly under a light, or in a spot that sunlight shines on during the day.

She's probably got bins of trims, sequins, beads, fringe, etc that will need sorting and organizing. My dream studio will include a wall of Elfa shelving and pull out bins.

Don't forget a space to hang costumes. They need to go somewhere when they're not in the sewing machine, especially if she is working on multiples. A closet rod or wall mounted hangar rack is really useful for storage during construction, especially as she probably has to hang skirts before hemming them.

Oh yes, I foresee lots of little bins or baskets for the accessories, beads and fringes. I hadn't thought about lighting. She has lots of lovely windows in her dance studio but I have no idea what is upstairs.

Originally I was thinking of a rolling clothes rack for her to hang the garments on but she has one in the studio and the veils always seem to drag on the floor. It makes me wonder if a wall mounted bracket would be better for things to hang from!!!?? If she has a closet already I might suggest removal of the doors so there is full access to the costumes she is working with.... or even put the shelves in the closet for storage so there is a finite space for things to go into.

Great ideas to think about, thank you!

·
4,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Something very important to me is 'time saving'........but U have to consider ---like another poster said----which type of sewing she does......and if she could be doing them at the same time. I will have multiple projects going at the same time ----for various reasons.

Don't overlook the potential of extending a space with storage cabinets. I did that and love it.
I put three of the 3 drawer cabinets on each end of my cutting table which not only gave me much more length but storage too.

My cutting table ---just a long folding table---was raised up with bricks......but because it is in the basement, the looks aren't that important.......comfort is! (I am taller and needed it higher for comfort) You may have to work around things like this......depending on where the room is.......and how tall your customer is......

The one thing I insist on is all my rulers/cutting items in plain sight. They are all hung on a wall behind me when I am at the cutting table. I would hate having to dig for another implement while cutting. I have the 'incidental' items stored in a cabinet. (buttons --in a CLEAR plastic bin----chalk markers and marking pencils in a ziplock, patterns are sorted according to type and stored in shoe boxes, etc)
All storage items are labeled.

I refuse to use the solid colored bins.........I want CLEAR. (which is where much of my fabric is stored)

The other thing.........won't use the bins with 'latches'.....as I will overstuff them.........try to close them....and break the latch. (and they usually cost more anyway---so why go there??!!)

Probably the best purchase I ever made was just a small stool that COMPLETELY fits under the cutting table for those few times that I want to sit down and draw something out, trace something, contemplate??? :laugh: etc. I am not working around a 'chair' and it is totally out of the way.

Good luck..........it sounds like fun!! I LOVE organizing things.
I hadn't thought of what type of bins. I've broken many latches as well. And though I like the look of baskets, clear bins would be so much easier.

I can't wait to see what type of room it is. If she has a cutting table I wonder if making it into a central island with storage drawers or shelves underneath it would be functional.

When I worked at a local school, the Occupational Therapy room had their tools hanging off pegboard... with outlines of the tools hanging where they needed to be. The supervisor would get so hot under the collar when things were not put back in the right place. Us crazy prank loving PT's though... moved EVERY SINGLE ONE ... one time! And ONLY one time. hehehehe.

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR YOUR INPUT. I have lots of questions on my pad to take with me so I can ask lots of questions and bounce lots of ideas. I'll see if I can take pictures to post too. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts