Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, I am doing a garage sale with the neighborhood May 11 and 12 and i've NEVER done a garage sale before. i've been to pleanty but never put one on. anyone have any suggestions????? thanks!

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
Here's a suggestion I read in TWG -- take clippings from flyers of items that are similar, if not exactly, like the ones you're selling. When people are reminded that buying a brand new blender is $30, they're more likely to buy yours for $10, etc.

Ooooooh, yard sale season is starting soon! I'm getting all tingly! Can't wait, can't wait!!!

·
Registered
663 Posts
Questions

I've done different kinds - no clothes, no electronics, etc. Make sure you have plenty of change. Make sure you have tables. Get stuff off the ground. Put BIG signs of the prices for the big items so people can see if from the street. Have a separate person deal only with the money. Another person can wander around, squabble the prices, rearrange and clean up, bag, etc. It is a lot of work but I've managed to 1) get rid of a lot of c-r-a-p AND make $$$!! It's usually worth the effort. Have a game plan for what's left over - donate, ebay, pitch, etc. ORGANIZE everything well in advance and ask for help!

Enjoy the sale!!

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
My suggestion is to put a price on everything. I really hate to go to garage sales where I have to ask prices. Another thing is if you are going to be offering anything electrical for sale have an outlet or drop cord so that people can try them. Group like items together and have at least two people out when you have customers. I have yet to have a yard sale when at least a couple of things don't get stole. Also make sure to keep the money with you at all times and if you get to getting a lot take some of it inside. Never let anyone go into your house alone. I have let friends try on clothes in my house but even then I went in with them. Have plenty of change available. You usually get hit with $20 on Friday and Saturday as everyone has just got paid and many are not yard salers that know to have smaller bills.
I have had many and the main thing is not to stress out over it. It all works out.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Those websites were great!!!!! thanks!!! thanks for the wonderful tips ladies. keep them comming i can take all the help i can get

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
When I have a yard sale, I usually have a $1, $2, $3 table but I label EVERYTHING with a price, if you have anything electronic have a cord handy so your customers know that it works.

Always have tons of change and $1 bills and a few $5's, I too have always been hit with a $20 bill early in the day.

Good Luck! I will be having one (maybe) in May or June too.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I've always tried to have plastic bags or even cardboard boxes handy so people can carry the stuff they buy to their car easily and I keep newspaper there to wrap the fragile items people buy so that nothing breaks on the way to a new home.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts