Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't think of a much more inefficient use of space than a standard closet in a kid's room - a hanging rod that they can't reach, a shelf they can't reach, and a pile of space left over between their little clothes and the floor.

In our previous houses our kids had either walk-ins or closets where the door openings were the same width as the insides. I built shelves they could reach, and put the dressers in closets.

Now we have closets that extend on the inside for another foot or so beyond the door opening. Its not a big deal for the grownups because we just hang clothes, but I'm kind of stumped about what to do in the kids closets. I've looked at closet organizers, but it seems that nothing would be accessible on the ends. I've thought about putting the dressers in the closet, but would have to set them right in the middle - drawer opening would be impeded by closet doors and there would be an empty space on either side with no access.

Rooms are small so I need to make as much use possible of the closets. What are some creative solutions for toy and clothing storage that are both accessible for small children and space efficient?

If anyone has a well-organized small closet for a child, please post a picture so I can see what you've done.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
my kids have the Victorian size closets.

The keep their hang up clothes and some toys in the closets.

We used snap together cubes in Buddy's closet. He likes to take them apart from time to time and rearrange/reorganize his closet.

Little Miss uses a laundry basket sorter and stacking boxes to organize her things in her closet.

In our other house we had those long closets with sliding doors.

We basically did the same thing with them just had more room. When they had those closets they kept all their toys in the closet.

It wouldn't work in the Victorian size closets but the longer closets I know people who have put the dresser in the closet .

Reactions: monkeywrangler71

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
For the part of the closet that extends the extra 1ft - can you install a rod at a decent height (height of an adult dress shirt) with some room underneath just in case and from the rod to ceiling, install shelves for other storage be it more clothes and/or toys? This way as the child grows...they can access whatever is needed - clothes on rods, shoes underneath etc.

How deep is the closet?

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Closets are 18" deep.

Follow up question. What are some ways to organize kids clothing other than hanging or dressers. Does anyone use bins, bags or something else.

I saw a tip today where the kids clothes were all put into bags as complete outfits (underwear/socks/pants/shirt), then when the kids are getting dressed they just pull out a bag. Does anyone use this or a similar system?

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Closets are 18" deep.

Follow up question. What are some ways to organize kids clothing other than hanging or dressers. Does anyone use bins, bags or something else.

I saw a tip today where the kids clothes were all put into bags as complete outfits (underwear/socks/pants/shirt), then when the kids are getting dressed they just pull out a bag. Does anyone use this or a similar system?
We use the bag idea for girl scout camping trips. It wouldn't work for us everyday though as she loves putting together outfits.

Buddy I'm not sure uses the dresser (or at least would prefer not to LOL) he just pulls things out of the basket and wears whatever comes out he wears. Works for him I'm still trying to get him put the clothes in the drawer instead of just pulling them out of the basket I put in his room for him to put the laundry away.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tricks on How to Organize a Closet is Don’t store everything in one closet. We are all fond of doing this. However, this is a wrong practice to live by. Keep items that are not of the same group in different closets or cabinets. Don’t put shoes in your shirts cabinet or old gadgets into your shoes’ closet.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I too have been contemplating the space you speak of beyond the door opening. I have about 1' on each end. I have decided to build shelves on both ends that will basically face each other and will use it for shoes, since the closets I speak of are not being used by kids. I figure in the future if someone with kids did use this space then at least 2 or 3 of the lower shelves would already be at kid height.

I am going to buy the narrow metal stripping that has adjustable slots so the spacing can be changed if and when needed. I will most likely buy some storage baskets to keep on some of the shelves too, as not all will be used for shoes.

Just saw the date on this thread...ummm, nevermind! LOL I wonder if someone else in this thread is a closet salesman. LOL

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
I also saw the date on this thread and it threw me for a loop. But it's rather fitting for me as well since we made modifications to Dub's closet recently.

We have a tiny closet at the top of our stairs where I had placed all of his board games/puzzles, etc. It was overflowing and I needed a place to store our extra linens. I purchased something similar to this: ClosetMaid 9 Cube Organizer White : Target
Ours is wire and only has 6 bins. And it cost $20.

We put that in his big closet in his room, stacked his puzzles, games, etc. in it. We put his imaginext toys on the top shelf. His room looks much more organized and I get my linen closet back.

Woohoo!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.