Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here do original art or craft work? By original I mean from your own design -- no patterns or kits. I'm not really looking for information or advice -- just a conversation starter.

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
I don't do a lot of original work, but a bit. . . this past week, I couldn't find a puppet pattern that I liked, so I sat down and made one (crocheted).

My dd and I are currently working on a wedding veil project. I want to make hers (NO, she's not even engaged yet) and so we're doing it together -- she tells me what she likes/wants and I try to incorporate it into the design. Hopefully, once it's done -- I can either sell the pattern, or sell veils I make from it.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I do almost ALL my crafts from what I "see" in my head.

I don't much like using a pattern, unless I have to.

It depends on what I'm working on... and what materials I'm using.
For instance, for knitting/crochet crafts, it depends on which one and what type of yarn I have and what I feel like making to determine the pattern.
Same w/sewing... I dont like the patterns I've bought and simply won't be using them ever again. *sigh* (what a waste.)

BUT, I just make what I think of and *poof* it tends to come out better than what I saw in my mind. :)
:cowwave:

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ooooh! Activity on the thread! Thanks Sunshine for getting things going.

You guys are all doing some interesting things. Sunshine a wedding veil is one thing I don't think I would have the courage to try. PerSue I really envy people who can knit and crochet. I've tried a couple of times but only end up with a knotted mess. And tbs727 your painted furniture is beautiful!

Most of my original works now are art quilts. I design as I go -- no sketches and I rarely cut patterns. I hold ideas in my head for quite awhile before they are ready for fabric sometimes. Other times I know exactly what I want and how to do it. The how to do it is often the hard part for me. I used to dream projects from start to finish. I was so mad when I got up in the morning and couldn't find the finished project.

I do other things here and there but usually just because I need something. If I haven't seen it in a store or don't have a pattern I just make something up.

Does anyone make or sell patterns of your original work? Or want to? How about teaching?

I've found that what I really enjoy is the hands on work and also doing one of a kind work. I've tried to make a few patterns, but my heart's really not in it. I'm also terrible at writing step by step instructions.

I love teaching, but not really the art and craft stuff. I want people to be creative and most people taking that type of class want to be told exactly what to do.

So glad to hear from you all. If you have anything to add, please feel free. And if there is anyone else our there doing original work would love to hear from you. Sorry I got so long winded. I was just so excited to find others out there.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Quiltergirl, I really admire your freehand approach to quilting. That is one thing that I don't think I could ever do. I love quilting as an art form and have great respect for those who have the patience and talent to do it. To get it done without a pattern is fantastic!

·
Registered
787 Posts
I paint, sew, and do woodworking without a pattern.

The only pattern I have used in a long time, was for the shirts in mine/dh's ren outfits.
The rest is my design.
I also make clothes and toys for the kids.

I also make all sorts of crafts free hand. I do primitives, stitcheries, make-do's, and a lot of paper crafts.

When I was in high school, I designed my own prom dress and my mom and grandmother helped me sew it.

I made my two youngest dd's ren outfits with out a pattern.

I made a picnic set. It was a blanket and two pillows that matched.

I also make handbags and tote's.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quiltergirl, I really admire your freehand approach to quilting. That is one thing that I don't think I could ever do.
That's funny. I was thinking the same thing about what the rest of you do. That beautiful painting on funiture -- forget it. Tried it back in the 70's ... we won't speak of that again.

Moor what you do sounds really cool. Did you start out doing everything without patterns or did you start with patterns and get bored or want to make something you couldn't find a pattern for?

I come from a sewing family and took all the years of clothing in high school, so my sewing skills are pretty entrenched in "tradition." But I have never taken a quilting class. I did start out trying to be a traditional quilter because someone told me I had to do that before I could go on to art quilting. I learned too late that is so not true. Now I find the traditional stuff limiting -- it gets in the way of creativity.

I make up a lot of quick stuff without a pattern -- lunch bags, home dec stuff, jewelry. I still have some beads around the house although I don't do that much anymore. For clothing I have about 4 very basic patterns I then change/alter/embellish beyond recognition. But I can come up with something original if I need to.

My website is a mess right now but I have a few photos of my art quilts there if anyone wants to take a peek. http://www.anartistseyes.bravehost.com

I hesitate to give the link because often after people look at my website I never hear a peep out of them again. Not sure what about my work scares people off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts