Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son and I have had a heck of a time getting our seeds going what with our cats eating the tops off all the seedings as they sprout on our table. So i decided we should build a cold frame for those that will be outside soon. (His pot of herbs is staying on the window sill in the kitchen) i didn't know what to use, but instead of going out and buying stuff i thought we should get out in our yard and see what we had to use. So since dh isn't getting working on our new driveway till later in the season, i stole some of his bricks from his brick stacks. and we had a screen door in our crawlspace because we don't want it on a door that we never use. Later we will build a porch on the side of the house where that door is (instead of just stairs) and i will return the screen door. For the seed trays i used empty egg cartons. So it may not be pretty, but i think it will work. Erick sang the "Bob the Builder" song while we were stacking bricks and was so excited to put our seed trays and tender plants into it. I am excited because with the plants outside, i get my dinner table back!!! Nd the cats wont be able to use the seedlings at their personal salad bar at night now either!! We looked online for the idea for the project and took a little from a few sites.

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I want to add that he didn't make it through lunch afterwards...he was so tired out from all our hard work. He fell asleep halfway through lunch.

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
You did a great job on that Melissa !!!!!!!! It's perfect for what you want and you can change or move it when dh does the driveway ! and so frugal too !!!!!!!
Erick the builder looks very good in the photo !

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
Wow! I'm impressed!!!!! You and your little builder did a great job! I have one cat that thinks one of the herb boxes is his personal bed. LOL! I've given up and just let him have that one, but shoo him off the rest of the planters and out of the garden constantly.

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks everyone! here's a shot of some of our plants in it.

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
and here's some more, I hope some of these will come back without kitties munching on them. You can see that they really went to town on some of the poor seedlings!

·
Heather Bob
7,312 Posts
You did an awesome job, you should be very proud of yourself, using items that you had and it makes a perfect spot!!!! I am really, really impressed!!!:smball:

·
27,948 Posts
:thumb: Great use of your resources Melissa! Erick is quite the builder!:cap: Best wishes for healthy happy seedlings.:)

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
:thumb: You had a great idea! And lots of help from your big boy too! He's some builder, alright!:cap:

Lucie:)

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
What a nice cold frame! And your little boy sure is a cutie!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts