Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Things are not going good for our farmers. Along with mad cow disease (one cow), we are in a severe drought where there is a lack of feed and second crops are all burnt up. Along with that we now have an infestation of grasshoppers. Most grain crops in part of our province are now stressed terribly.

It is now affecting all businesses in the area, along with businesses even in the two large cities in our province, Brandon and Winnipeg.

We have a number of small communities that have declared themselves as "disaster areas".

It not only affects cattle farmers, but sheep farmers, elk farmers and will even affect tourist camps because Americans won't be coming in to hunt in the fall.

What a nightmare for the farmers and businesses. In the long run though, all Manitobans will be affected.

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
I feel for you. We are in drought conditions here also and the farmers are hurting. The crops are not doing well and most of the farmers will be extremely lucky if they even break even. Many will lose quite a bit this year. Our neighbor just went up to start harvesting his field in this hot temperature (hitting 100 today) and I am very worried about him.

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Debbie, in reading our newspaper today, it says Europe is experiencing the worst drought in years. It seems to be everywhere.

Its interesting, because when things affect farmers, it has long reaching effects for everyone.

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
That's terrible CJ. I didn't know it was this bad in Manitoba...Gee I better stop watching cartoons with my kids and start listening to news...

I hope the futur changes for the best for the farmers and that rain becomes abundant again, as it is needed...

·
Heather Bob
7,312 Posts
I am praying for rain daily. Here it isn't too bad, we are right near Lake Huron and have got some rain but my parents are 2 hours inland and they haven't had any rain, it misses them everytime. It is a terrible time for the farmers and I feel so badly for them.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
i wish i could send u our rain. the last time it rained we ended up with water in the basement..(only happens if it rains for 4+ hrs really hard)

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I wish I could send some rain we've been getting you're way. We've had a really rainy summer here (the first year we've been out of a drought in 5 years). I have noticed an abundance of grasshoppers this summer too.

Hope things get better for you soon!

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
CJ, Our farmers are having the opposite problem. Too much rain. A friend of ours who has been a sweet corn farmer for 35 years said this is the worst crop he has ever raised. Also my husbands bosses wife went to the farmers market and white half runners are $65.00 a bushel! It is definitely not a good summer for crops.

PS CJ what state are you in?

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Actually Jeanna, I'm in Canada, the province being Manitoba.

Since starting this thread, we still have had no rain. British Columbia is in a state of emergency because of no rain, extremely HOT weather and many forest fires. Close to where my mom lives, 80 homes have been lost and a pulp mill ($40,000,000). Alberta is also having fires.

Many of our small towns in our province have declared a state of emergency because of the cattle situation, the severe drought and the grasshoppers.

I've never seen the likes of this before!!

·
Heather Bob
7,312 Posts
CJ, my uncle who lives near you has 1500 head of cattle~he is moving 500 of them to a yard south of him for now. It is such a shame as he can't bale up the hay he needs to feed them all. Prayers for rain!!:angel2:

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
:( I am so sorry to hear this C.J....wish I could send you our rain.....will keep you in my prayers:angel2:

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Heather, I didn't realize your uncle was a cattle farmer. The sad part is they have a bit to feed their cattle now, but some farmers have less than a weeks supply of feed. I'll be praying your uncle isn't one of them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts