Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend. Dh just got a call from a friend that told him he had some deer meat for him. One of his friends had just butchered a beef and didn't have room in his freezer for the deer meat and he called our friend and asked if we could use it.

There were 3 large boxes and 2 bags of deer meat (I'm thinking possibly 2 deer). The meat had all been cut and wrapped professionally. In the boxes were sausage, steaks, garlic sausage, stew meat and chops!!!! I won't have to purchase meat for a very long time!!

·
Registered
604 Posts
I am soooo jealous!!!! That is the one thing I miss about being in Michigan...the free dear meat! I don't get anything like that given to me now that I am back in Florida.... When we lived in Michigan we rented a 2 bed room farm house from a nice family who lived in a bigger house just the other side of the driveway... (came in real handy when I ran out of something durring snow storms) Our landlord raised chicken on the property and I remember leaving for work one day with all the chicken running around the yard... then that night the landlord came over and droped 2 freshly slaughtered and cleaned chicken on my kitchen counter!! I (raised in the city) FREAKED!!!

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
That is wonderful CJ. I love venison and it is so healthy! We eat it a lot in the winter. DH has a cousin that is going to give us some free venison too. DH has been helping him so he is paying in meat, WOO HOO, I love free food!:D

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
I don't like it and neither does dh..... But I'm very happy for you CJ !!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Woo Hoo! :hurray:

Share some of your venison recipes with us. The only thing that works for me is the ground in chili and minute steaks in the crockpot with mushroom soup. The last chops I made were WAY to gamey, maybe they didn't cook long enough.

·
27,948 Posts
:fdance: Windfall wheee~~~

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
Wow! I'm jealous too! Seriously though, I'm really happy for you. That should bring your grocery budget way down! My DH's best friend (also his boss) wants to take him hunting this year and we are hoping he gets a deer to fill our freezer too!

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
OH CJ! I'm so very happy for you. Deer meat is soooo good and it sounds like you got a lot! What a wonderfull friend.

Have you ever soaked your deer meat in milk or buttermilk? My German girlfriend always soaked her deer meat in buttermilk in the fridge the night before she cooked it. It seems to take the wild taste out. I liked it but I also like the wild taste too.

A rib side of deer kept me and dh from starving one year. It was given to us and we took tiny slivers off it at a time and cooked it up and it lasted for months.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
:hurray: :hurray:

I am soooooo happy for you CJ-What a blessing!!

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
That is wonderful news for you CJ! You certainly have a good friend! I'm very happy for you! :)

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
I would eat venison every day if I had the chance. I was raised on it and brefer it to beef, pork OR chicken. However, we butchered our own, so it doesn't taste the same as cut and wrapped meat.

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Oh how wonderful, CJ!
I'm with you, Lori. I could eat it everyday. :)
I am hoping Dave gets at least one deer this year... or 2. :) They are all over the place up here so I think its a good possibility!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts