Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is our new family member. Please meet Bosco our new part Black Lab/Chow mix puppy. He was headed to the animal shelter to be put to sleep along with his 6 other brothers and sisters when our neighbor itervened and brought them all home with her. She found homes for all of them except for this one and 2 other girls who look like a chow. I like this little guy because he looks like the lab side of his bloodline. He is very shy (I think he might have been abused before we got him) but he has bonded with DD. My only problem with him is that he will not stay in the yard, he climbs the fence and gets out. We bought a cable to keep him tied in the back yard but he hates it and barks continously when he is there. I finally just brought him back in today. Does anyone have any ideas how to train him to stay in the yard or to become more used to the collar and cable.

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
What a cutie, he is absolutely beautiful! I am so glad you where able to get him and that your neighbor was able to keep him from being taken to the pound and being put to sleep, what a loss that would have been.

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
He's so cute!!!! I kennel our dogs every time they bark and they have gotten the idea now that barking is not allowed unless it's something serious! We also have 2 dogs because the 1 dog got lonely and wanted to get out and play all the time. Now she has her playmate and both are much happier!

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
You are so kind to take in this puppy. Luckily your neighbour took them all...how terrible to have put them all to sleep.

Welcome Bosco! Kathy will surely take very good care of you.:paw: :heartsm:

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
Bosco is gorgeous!!

I agree with Debbie, when we had our dog Peachie, she only barked if I left her outside alone, she just wanted company! :D

Good Luck! :paw:

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Bosco looks just like Blackie. We bought a trolley cable
tie out to let the dog in and out for times when I can't walk her during the day because of caring for the kids.
I can't say it's been a good idea though. It makes the big bush neighbor's dog bark. Then she wrapped herself around Zachary's slide and I was in the shower and the chainlink fence neighbor untangled her and knocked at the door. Talk about embarrassing.
:(
Congratulations on your new addition.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Welcome Bosco to the Frugal Village Precious Paws-Critters Companion Family.
Congrats on the New Furry Family Member.

·
27,948 Posts
Congratulations Bosco on finding yourself a nice home! It may take a while to train them to do what you want them to do.
Just be patient, they will learn. :D :paw:

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Dogs NEED to be with their "pack" (your family) since they are pack animals. I know you'd never just leave him out there for hours on end, but to him, five minutes IS an hour! Remmebr, he's just a baby. Also, most dog bites occur when a dog is just left chained and unsocialized.

Bosco needs walks several times a day. When Gypsy was this age, she got three long walks (15 minutes to start with, lengthed to thirty minutes). Labs and Chows are both high energy breeds, so Bosco is going to need a lot of the stuffinig run out of him or he'll be like an obnoxious little kid who is bored! See if you can't arange paly dates for him. Twenty minutes of romping with another dog is equal to an hour of walking with you and he'll be much happier (tired=happy!).

The very first command Bosco needs to learn is COME. You can start training him by getting a fifteen ft piece of rope and a snap. Make a long leash out of it. Attach it to his collar and let him wander off with it attached and you holdong the opposite end. when he gets close to the end, say, "Bosco, come". Don't vary the command, i.e., "Bosco, come. No, I said COME! COME HERE, DAMNIT!" By then, Bosco has NO idea what you want. Make sure to say the same thing each and every time. When you call him, gently tug at the leash and start reeling him in. When he gets there, give him a goodie and make a big fuss over him. He will quickly get the idea that it's a wonderful thing to come to you--Mom=fun and goodies! Also, don't call him to you when you want to do somethin g"bad" to him--a bath, pills, trip to the vet's, etc. Just go get him for that!

Also, you should get Bosco a crate. Every well mannered show dog goes everywhere in one of these and it's for a good reason. Dogs don't think of this as "doggy jail". They think of it as their special place. Gypsy has two--one for in the house and a smaller one that goes in the car for trips anywhere. I will NOT have her (or any other dog) loose in my car. If you're in an accident, the dog is a projectile through the window. If your dog sees another dog, s/he may jump into your lap to see or challenge the other dog and be the CAUSE of an accident! Gypsy sleeps in her crate with the door open. It's her "room"--a place to have some R & R when the world is frantically going by. Also, this is the perfect place for your puppy when you go out. Leaving a puppy alone in your house is like leaving a 2 YO loose while you run to the store--just as many bad things can happen!

Sorry to ramlbe on, but this is one area that I think is very, very important. When dogs are well mannered, they are an asset to the community. However, one barking, lunging dog gives all the rest a bad name no matter how sweet the other 999 may be!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts