Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our dream is to retire in 7 years and go sailing. By that time, we will have paid off our modest home, paid for our sailboat, and will have three retirement checks coming in. My DH will be 62 and I will be 50. Are we crazy to even think of this? I just know that's what we want to do...
What we plan to do is to sail in the Caribbean for several months out of the year (January-May) and spend the rest of the year at home with our grown children and grandchildren nearby. We think it is doable but will certainly cost some money.
So what we are currently doing is paying off all debt as quickly as possible, including our mortgage; working extremely hard to keep things very frugal around the house; and trying hard to advance at work so we can make as much money as possible before retirement.
Anybody out there with a wild dream such as ours?

Reactions: earthymom

·
Registered
882 Posts
I don't think it's crazy at all. I think it's great that you have a common dream to work towards! DH and I are a long way off from retirement, but we are working towards my "retirement". So I can stay home when we have kids. It's great to have something to look forward to and plan for. You can do it!!

·
Registered
459 Posts
I think its a wonderful dream and it sure sounds like you have a plan!

Debbie in Missouri

·
Registered
176 Posts
Thanks for sharing you dream which has become it a goal you and your dh are well on you way to achieving.

One of the fun things about dreams and goals is you get to enjoy them the whole time you're working to make them happen -- an you imagine pulling up to dock at some little harbor after enjoying an the sail there? The smell of the sea, the wind in your hair -- that also moves your boat for free. . .

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
DH and I had the same dream - well similar. We wanted to sail around the world with the kids. Some of our priorities changed and we no longer want to do that - but sailing around the Caribbean some day is absolutely something we'd still like to do in retirement.

Good Luck to you! And if you decided to blog about it make sure to let me know!!!! :)

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
Sounds like a wonderful dream! DH and I are not healthy enough for such dreams, but that doesn't stop us from dreaming about traveling the world when he retires at 61. I'll be 54. Our big issue will be having the money to fulfill our dreams. I think it's great you have the desire, the health, and the means to fulfill your dream!

Jean

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Are you crazy... ABSOLUTELY NOT! Having these goals & dreams move us forward. Knowing we are working toward something helps us plan & achieve the future we want. We are also planning early retirement, but before our 50s. Some would say that's crazy, but its our dream.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Actually, frugal living is great practice for a life on the high seas. Sailing is a classic situation where you need to be resourceful and find clever uses for things. Certainly, a few months a year in the Caribbean you could learn and experience a lot, even if it's just done once or twice to get away from our stressful society.

We'd like to spend a few weeks in the Caribbean one of these years, and not on a big cruise ship. I've done some sailing & fishing & never got seasick, but the past few years I've been getting car sick, and I'm not sure about being on a plane ... so for us, getting there is the challenge.

The more you plan, the more possible it (hopefully) becomes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts