Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't find my original thread. I had posted and got a lot of help here when we were drowning in serious credit card debt. We're doing a lot better now - and still dealing with some issues but over all things have improved greatly.

I got some part time work, and took work cleaning houses, and then I started selling things on Craigslist = it turns out I'm real good at that and have earned more that way than any of my other jobs combined. And because of the fact we had too much stuff anyway and were trying to clean and organize too -- that selling has helped our money situation AND our clutter problem.

We have 6 credit accounts that are now closed - every last one by us mainly -- a couple by the card company. Heck, we even closed our gas card (so thats 7) -- we never carried a balance on it but still it feels good to buy gas with cash! Three accounts we never fell behind with -- three we did. Of the three we fell behind with 2 of them worked with us on a payment arrangement. One temporary and one expires in March (currently paying 1/2 the minimum). The third one went crazy even though it was the least owed ($1,800) and even though we wrote letters, called, sent something every month and were getting back to full minimum payment = and they have now turned the account over to a collection's agency -- it appears -- however, the account # is wrong and it's suspicious so we've done an official letter asking for verification and asking for proof they are licensed to collect in our state. They call 3 times a day and won't leave messages. But hey, we're tougher now than when we started this. And we know in our hearts and minds that we've done everything we can about this problem and had every intention of paying.

The collections agency aspect is frightening but we will see an attorney if we need to. I'm not paying those people a dime until I know for sure they're on the up and up and I still have not been credited for the last full payments I made to the original creditor.

Our mind sets have changed so much even my husband who was not on board initially with everything -- he is now 100% on the same side with me and we're doing good with cash paying and envelopes and it's much better than it was.

We're learning to live on what we've got coming and of course still putting a priority on debt repayment but not at the expense of our needs. Last month we both got eye exams and glasses paying cash for the glasses ($39 a pair local deal) and insurance paid the eye doctor.

I wanted to post again because not a day goes by do I fail to remember the people here who helped encourage me. If not for coming here I don't know what would have happened but it opened my mind to the possibilities and we did not have to do bankruptcy and we do not have to suffer and go without our needs like eye glasses.

Thanks again and I am hopeful that I can give back in some way as time goes on.

Reactions: NikoSan999

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
Brandi,

I couldn't be more proud!

Fantastic job - please do keep us updated!

Greebo

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
I'm so proud of you! You are an inspiration to all of us.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
First I would like to say YOU DID THE WORK!!!! You got the advice, but nothing would have happened if you did not follow it. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Doesn't it feel good!!!!!!! And you should tell us the name of the company who are being complete jerks even though you are trying to work with them. I sure wouldn't want anything to do with them. Hats off to you for paying your debt and wanting to take care of it.

If you want to find your previous posts; click on your name and there will be previous posts by Brandi63. Click on it!

·
2,688 Posts
Sounds like you are headed in the right direction now :)
Please keep us updated on how you are doing.
We can all learn from each other.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Way to go its posts like this that show others that it can be done keep it up

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
I think it took personal integrity to own up to the debt you accumulated and not run away or bail out. It must have been very frightening in the beginning, and what you did took courage.You have every right to be very proud of yourself. Stay the course! You can do it!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I'm so happy for you, it was hard work but you did it!
Sounds like you'll never have that problem again, and that's the most important thing of all!

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Good for you, Brandi! :applause:

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
You did give back. That is a great testimonial for anyone here who thinks it can't be done. :congrats: on a job well done and keep it up.

Cat

·
Registered
9,915 Posts
First I would like to say YOU DID THE WORK!!!! You got the advice, but nothing would have happened if you did not follow it. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Doesn't it feel good!!!!!!! And you should tell us the name of the company who are being complete jerks even though you are trying to work with them. I sure wouldn't want anything to do with them.
Totally agree with craftypam. Congratulations and if you read this please let us know which company is being the jerks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Another mini update:

This past week I finally got on a hardship program with the final of the 6 creditors -- the nasty hold outs that were really really impossible to work with. The final words right before the rep decided to offer the hardship plan (what I said I mean) was: "I am fully prepared to go before a judge and show him my record of trying to pay you and my record of your harassing phone calls and punishing interest rate and late fees so if we can't work something out I will enjoy going to court and proving that I have been reasonable and you have not". Now we're enrolled in a 9 month hardship plan -- anything we pay will lower the balance enough that most likely we'll be able to pay the new monthly minimum when the time passes but I won't worry that far ahead, I just needed to get rid of their nasty collection calls and stupid letters that just kept saying to call them. Oh man.
Odd thing too is that this place has the same parent name as another of our accounts which did not hassle this way -- so I don't know why the difference.
It feels so good to have the arrangement and to be this much stronger.
One of my money making ventures went belly up this week. I had taken in a child to take care of MON-FRI but the mom would not pick up on time and then I started having trouble collecting my pay from her (they'd not come on Friday which was the day to pay) so I dropped that -- I gave her about 8 working days notice that was all I could stand because I was really putting up with a lot.
Now I learned a bunch about stuff I should have had in writing and strategies for if I ever tried it again. But I didn't enjoy having to segregate my cats nor having the late late mom & having to give the child supper and put her to bed (I mean this mom was after 7 sometimes after 8 when we'd agreed on 5:30 pickup).
So I'm seeking another income opportunity and meanwhile still selling a lot of things on Craigslist and doing great with our grocery bill & other controllable expenses.
This credit card debt will go -- it takes time and it takes a lot of crap to work thru but paying cash is great and EVERY account is closed -- so I sleep at night much better.
I'm still involved some with debtor's anonymous and I use their monthly recordkeeper to keep track of every penny that comes in and goes out.
Getting that last creditor to "let me keep paying them" was a big win. The dang idiots had sent a collection agency after us and I was not having that. I never had failed to send money every month so I refused to deal with the CA. Except to send them a letter demanding validation and a cease and desist.
If this is how these companies treat a customer who is making payments every month (just not as much as they demand) then I'd hate to see what they do to someone who makes no payments.
When we are out of debt the freedom is going to be great. I can start to see little glimmers already of how it is going to feel.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Totally agree with craftypam. Congratulations and if you read this please let us know which company is being the jerks.
The thing is it is GE Money Bank BUT -- we had another much larger balance on another account owned by that same parent company and I never got treated anything like this by that other branch. So I hesitate to name them for fear that people might fear the wrong place -- I don't know why the difference. The other company where the bill says GE Money Bank is a Walmart Discover and they so far put us immediately on a plan with almost no questions asked (we had to close the account but that was expected and I was glad)-- no telling what will happen when it expires but I'm stronger now. I'm not taking any crap. And I've already lived thru all the collection calls and got thru it. It comes right down to paying what we can afford and being able to prove it. That's what gives me strength. It's unfortunate we're in this position but we are doing something about it even though truth known there isn't much they could really do if we were unable to send them any money.
I was almost at the point of taking out our home phone they harassed us so bad. Then I learned call blocking and that worked in 80% of the time -- the other 20% there were #s that could not be blocked.

Reactions: NikoSan999
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.