Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OMG! They are just too cute!! DS is just getting a huge kick out of them. I have them in a Rubbermaid tote in the kitchen under their heat lamp. We have never done this before- so it will definitely be a learning experience for us. Any tips on what and what not to do will be definitely appreciated :D

Laura

·
Registered
23,290 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts
I would just keep them warm, watered, fed , and clean. They'll grow like crazy from there. :)

·
27,948 Posts
How many do you have Laura? I'm sure they are a quiet bunch and you hear hardly a peep out of them.:)
I don't have any advice for you but just want to wish you well and say that I would love to have some of my own one day.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Awww, I want some too! They had hundreds for sale at the local farm store and it was all I could do to walk out without buying any, but we just aren't ready for them yet. With the chicks I had before, I put newspaper in a big cardboard box and covered it with some cedar shavings and I'd change it out once or twice a day, make sure they always have plenty of food and water (you'll probably have to clean out the waterer several times a day as they dirty it up real quick) and after a few days I started sprinkling a little bit of grit on the fresh food as I refilled the feeder (they need the grit to grind up the food ). If they start looking kind of wilted then you have the heat lamp too close to them, they usually pile up in a pile to stay warm when they sleep anyway. Good luck with your new babies. I just love chicks!

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ds is really getting a huge kick out of them. He has a table and chairs set in his room- he brought out one of the chairs and sat down next to the chicks- then he went and got a book and "read" to them. I have to keep reminding him though to pet them with just one finger.

So for right now. we have 12 broilers- then sometime in the next couple months, we're getting another 12 for eggs.

They survived their first night at home- we moved them into DS swimming pool, lined with newspapers. Their heatlamp is shining down in the middle. I got the food in paper plates (which they like to sleep in!!) and I cut out the bottom of milk jugs for their water- since they're too small for the hanging ones yet.

Thanks for the links homesteadmama- I'm going to check them out right now!!

Laura

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Just an fyi, they have waterers that fit on the top of a canning jar, you fill the jar with water, screw on the waterer and turn the jar over. Works great with the chicks and I don't think they cost very much.
Sounds like you all are having lots of fun!

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
sounds like fun for your ds! post a pic if you can, i bet they are cute as can be!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts