Frugal Village Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Great take home. I was there today just to get one thing and I got bananas for .10-lb yeah! Didn't need anything more. But mine is close by.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
WOW - bananas for 10 cents a pound! I would buy cases and dehydrate them. The salvage store that has fruits and vegetables is across town. I haven't been in a while. I just might have to go when we get some money.

Great take home. I was there today just to get one thing and I got bananas for .10-lb yeah! Didn't need anything more. But mine is close by.

·
Registered
460 Posts
This is our second time to the closest salvage grocery so I had enough forsight to take pics this time around for those of you who may be interested in visiting a store near you.

Here is our salvage booty (sans the 20lb kitty litter--didn't think you needed a visual on that) for a total of $107.46 which breaks down to about $1.13 for our 95 items. HTH. :vibes:

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t46/ri_smom/2009_03021.jpg

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t46/ri_smom/2009_03024.jpg

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t46/ri_smom/2009_03025.jpg
Dang! YOU GO!!! :toothy::dancing:

That is AWESOME!!!

·
Registered
460 Posts
I recently found three listed in my area. I can't wait until hubby has a day off so we can check them out! Hubby is on a special project and working 5 days a week (M-F) and often on weekends also. He is getting lots of OT so I am not complaining. He normally works 4-10s (Mon-Thur).

I am a very independent and brave person, but these places are in BAD parts of town. I don't want to go alone to check them out. Maybe after hubby and I go together and I check them out I will go alone.

Mary
Could you go with a friend or 2 who might be interested in checking it out?

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I have no like-minded friends. I have talked to several people and they aren't interested. But that's okay! Hubby and I hit the one closes to our house about every two weeks.

They usually have the large cans of Alpo or Pedigree for 79 cents (over $1 every where else). Last time I got several 1 lb. packages of diced ham (put on homemade pizza) for 99 cents each. I got a big package of Velveeta for $3.29. It is $4.99 at the grocery store.

Maybe this Friday I can convince him to go across town. And we could stop at the farmer's market on the way home. That way we would be running two errands instead of just one.

Could you go with a friend or 2 who might be interested in checking it out?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I love it when our salvage store has odd shaped bacon. A 5 pound box is just $3. I mean you are going to chew it up, does it matter what shape it is?

Great job OP.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
You should be very proud of yourself.

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
Wish we had one close by. Years ago there was a dent can store. Never was in it. Think it was called Bent and Dent. But nothing here even similar. Would make a great stockpile store.

Reactions: jlaporte

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Great haul! I wish we had one of those stores are here! :)

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Way to go. Some great shopping!

I have Groc. Outlet here too. I really like it. They get some WONDERFUL fun cheeses in to try at reasonable prices.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts